don't click here

ITT important poll!

Print

Author Topic: ITT important poll!  (Read 11242 times)

Offline Rolken

ITT important poll!
« on: December 04, 2005, 01:04:58 am »
This is a debate we've been over before - whether / how to incorporate the untraditional categories into overall rankings. I don't think that creating a single dilute championship is a good strategy for either time attackers or score etc folks, so I'm reviving it.

There're basically three potential candidates for ranking:
- The way it is
- Single championship incorporating score rings etc
- Multiple championships

This topic is mostly a poll, but actual forum polls create the illusion that everyone's anonymous opinion is of equal value. So if you have a particular feeling on the topic, state so one way or the other and, er, it'll be taken into consideration. X) Also if you prefer a particular variation on one of the above themes, point that out too.

Also I'd like to keep down multiple posts from one person in this topic unless you feel you have points for others to ponder that shouldn't be edited into a previous post.

For the record, I'm in favor of a split championship between pure Speed (mostly like now) and an overall championship treating all records equally.

Edit: I suppose there is another alternative - have an Overall ranking for each category that is comparable to the Totals for each now, and then an Overall ranking for the entire game with all categories. Food for thought.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 05:12:14 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
ITT important poll!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 01:14:41 am »
Well, as mentioned in the chatroom, I'm pro multiple championships. The theory I believe that was discussed was:

Championship One: Time-tracked divisions only. (Times/Bosses/Time Attack Mode/Extra/Maybe Kart?/SCD Special/anything time-related I didn't mention)

Championship Two: Times, plus weighted rankings of the others (Rings, scores, etc). IIRC, SM mentioned that the charts have a weight field to them now, so theoretically the weight could vary from the 2D to the 3D games and their various scoring differences.

That's my take.

Actually, while on the subject, Shadow scores might not be able to have the same weight as others, as your score, regardless of mission, is still pretty dependant on your time bonus. Not entirely, though (as when I did GUN Fortress Hero once, I had a decent time bonus, but an E-Ranked score because I killed way too many GUNbots). But that's unrelated to the topic at hand.

Also thanks for moving the topic while I was posting. :(
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
ITT important poll!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 01:22:42 am »
I'm pro on champion splitting as well. Spinny basically said it all. I concur.

Score = Time weighting: SADX, SH, SA2B, Rush and Shadow (pending cuz of Spinny's comment).
Score < Time weightings: S1, S2, S3, S&K, STT, S1(GG), S2(GG), KC, SCD, SC, SPA, S3DB, SAdv, SAdv2, SAdv3.
Games unaffected: SB, SJ, SD, SD2.

That's just my list of the weightings, all based on my opinion. Are Rings really going to get weight? Would it be less than Score/Time or equal?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:26:15 am by sonicam »
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Aere Alouette

• Float like a skylark sting like a storm
  • TSC: Greham Adelphis
  • winvista chrome
  • 250 Games and counting.
    • View Profile
ITT important poll!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 02:38:42 am »
I also approve of multiple championships with Rings, Speed, and Score. It would allow more diversity and also would keep people interested in the other categories (with a main scoreboard accounting all categories into one).

There's my two cents.
Sonic 3D Blast Champion (So many times I can't count.)

Offline Tails47 2

ITT important poll!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 07:17:15 am »
Hmm. I feel that Sonic games are about the SPEED. But I know other people really care about score/rings too...

So here's my idea:

3 Champs per game:

1 for time
1 for ring and scores
1 "true" champ. This one incorporates time ring and scores. This would get people
intrested in all three areas.

Offline CosmicFalcon

ITT important poll!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 07:18:59 am »
I am pro there being a Time champion and that's it. However, if people really want more recognition for ring/score awesomeness, I would be pro one champion for each, or perhaps one for both, or perhaps a combination of both of those ideas (making 4 champs/game total).
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
ITT important poll!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 09:34:33 am »
I'm pro one Champion, but give atleast Scores some weight in the rankings, possibly Rings, depending on the game, I mean, if there were to be separate Champions across the games for Individual 'brackets' it'd end up pretty confusing IMO :/
Did you not think I had a mind?

ITT important poll!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 11:01:25 am »
I agree with sonicam and Spinny. There should be multiple championships.
soniham is Taco's greatest typo.:o

CF is very... CFy.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
ITT important poll!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 03:06:41 pm »
The only problem with there being one championship is that the main focus of this site has been on speed for the last two years. If you introduce score to the rankings straight away, there'll be serious confusion and the entire competition will be turned on it's head.

I say multiple championships (one time, one overall, however we decide overall should be), with the option to review this situation in, say, a year.

<3 Thorn.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
ITT important poll!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 03:18:31 pm »
What? A year? That's too long for a review. I know you're against Score and Rings but still, not everyone is. D: I doubt I'll be playing Sonic next year since I'll hopefully be in college and I'll have more important things to tend to. :(
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
ITT important poll!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 04:16:42 pm »
What? A year? That's too long for a review. I know you're against Score and Rings but still, not everyone is. D: I doubt I'll be playing Sonic next year since I'll hopefully be in college and I'll have more important things to tend to. :(
[snapback]7922[/snapback]

:O

Blasphemy!

I'm in College and I neglect my collegwork to play Sonic!
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
ITT important poll!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
In regards to multiple championships, don't we unofficially do this with the total divisions of competitions? I vote for a total overall championship, since that will encourgage more competition in all aspects of a game. With the weight field SM mentioned, I think we can adjust the weights as appropriate depending on the game. Here's my take on it.
-Time=Score: SA, SA2, SH (best example of this), ShtH (Hero and Dark missions). In regards to the score issues with Shadow, time bonuses being a huge part of the score also occurs in Team Rose levels on SH.
-Time<Score (Partial weight): Sonic Rush. I rented the game last Friday and from what I see, the time bonus isn't nearly as vital to high scores as it is in other 2D Sonic games.
-Time<Score (No weight): 2D Sonic games, Shadow (Normal missions):
There is still the question of ring weights. I believe that rings should get no weight (or very little at best).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
ITT important poll!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 04:58:53 pm »
I like Spinny's idea too.  It would bring in more people and get others that are already here a chance for more options in a Sonic game they like and feel cool about being a champ at something in a Sonic game.  Not everyone can timeattack all too good and perfer the other categories.  Speaking of the other categories...it seems they aren't as important as Timeattacking here.  I feel I can get a shit load of score and ring records, and still suck overall in the rankings.  That's just me so whatever happens I'm for it.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Rolken

ITT important poll!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 05:23:56 pm »
OK, here's a revised proposition.

How about making sub-championship classes for each category; similar to the Totals that exist today, but with the championship point collation. The championships themselves could incorporate scores in the games where they are deemed different enough from times to be valuable, otherwise be left alone.

Further opinions?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
ITT important poll!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 05:25:09 pm »
[snapback]7922[/snapback]
I am in college sonicam and I still play Sonic :(

Also RPG remember American college != Brit college.

And CF 4 championships? Must I get out the straightjacket? If anything, I'd go max 3 (as mentioned by Tails47 2), but I think 2 is just fine.

Actually, if I recap:
1 Championship, speed + weighted others: RPG, magnum12

2 Championships, 1 speed, 1 speed + weighted others: SBW, sonicam, buddychaos0415, mike89, ShadowJacky

3 Championships, 1 speed, 1 score + rings, 1 overall: Tails 47 2

4 Championships: Speed, Score, Rings, Overall: CosmicFalcon, Greham (I think, if he wanted 3, speak up via PM or something)

Actually magnum ShTH Hero and Dark scores are also heavy on time dependencies. D:

EDIT: Rolken: What?

EDIT AGAIN: Wait, I think I get it now. Though wouldn't that be somewhat confusing? I mean, I'm not sure how sub-championships would really work... though in a sense this is essentially the original idea. So you're basically saying:

OVERALL CHAMPION
SPEED CHAMPION
SCORE/RING CHAMPION
etc?

Or am I completely wrong?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 05:28:05 pm by Spinballwizard »
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Rolken

ITT important poll!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 05:26:35 pm »
Whoa, I didn't realize the 2 champ idea was so heavily favored. Maybe we should just go with that after all (since SM and I also favor it).

Print

Hits: 198 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.15 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.