don't click here

Yet another new Sonic game, now for Wii!

Print

Author Topic: Yet another new Sonic game, now for Wii!  (Read 18733 times)

Offline Rolken

Yet another new Sonic game, now for Wii!
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:00:02 pm »
Shock of shocks, the Wii Sonic game ONLY HAS SONIC IN IT! :O

And... that's all we know, basically. It's called Sonic Wild Fire and it does indeed appear to be traditional Sonic run/jump/roll action. I'm sure we'll know more in the next few days...

http://e3.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150554
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Re: Yet another new Sonic game, now for Wii!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:26:44 pm »
This is the first Sonic with just the big blue guy since 1991's original game,
Except for Sonic CD and Spinball... unless you count the unplayable Amy and Tails.

so maybe Sega can shake off the intervening 15 years of bad-or-terrible Sonic games
Oh come on, it's not quite that long. :)

And yes, I'm only nitpicking 1up because there's not really a lot else there to discuss. Sounds encouraging, though. Blue skies please!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:28:46 pm by Sonic Singularity »
"When I move my mouse pointer over you it says 'Wizards'."

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:57:11 pm »
Let's not forget that the game is also supposed to have a multiplayer feature incorporated as well! :D I can't wait.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 03:26:36 pm »
I fear slightly for this; given that Sonic PS3/360 has had so much hype and this nothing, I find it easy to jump to conclusions on which will be better.

But Wii+mario+Zelda+Metroid+TENNIS still = ownage, so I'll likely be getting one and Wild Fire anyway.

(realises he just committed to getting a Wii and a PS3 . . . need to start saving now methinks)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline F-Man

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 03:35:36 pm »
Aw man this is what I hoped Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 would be. :( Only Sonic ftw.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 04:40:07 pm »
I'm, quite frankly (and regardless of how much I will get flamed for saying this), not entirely in approval of the idea of only Sonic. Although I don't necessarily say "shit, i'm not getting this piece of crap", and in fact, I plan on getting this if possible, I always liked to play as other characters with similar yet with some unique ability. Not to say I don't like playing as Sonic, but I liked playing as E-102  and Knuckles also.

However, I am sure that SEGA will give us something brand new and unique, and until most (if not all) details are revealed, I will remain in favor of this because it's still Sonic, plus the Arabian Nights storyline sounds like it'll give the game a bit more of a unique appeal to me.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 05:09:54 pm »
Gameplay information discovered.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/09/sonic-wildfire-for-wii-announced/

The Wiimote will be used in a horizontal fashion: "Hold the controller horizontally with two hands and tilt left and right to steer Sonic on different paths and maneuver deftly from obstacles and enemies. Continue to tilt and fling forward to dash-attack ground and air enemies and to break down barriers."

I like how this game just stars Sonic; it seems like that Gamespy interview affected Naka's decision to do this before he left. This gives me an idea on how the game will play, obviously, but it's still a bit sketchy as to how it's going to happen; if he's going to be on a 2D or 3D plane, ect. This game needs to be seen in motion or in screenshot format before judgement can be taken.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:19:20 pm »
Hmm... it sounds a bit tricky to control from what I hear. Quite honestly it sounds like it's going to be like a whole new system, which could either roll down the mountain or ascend like a rocket depending on how well it's done. Likewise, I believe that we need a gameplay demonstration.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 06:44:55 pm »
so maybe Sega can shake off the intervening 15 years of bad-or-terrible Sonic games

Yea, good news or bad, the press always always makes room to hate on Sonic. :/

an odd setting, for sure, and we are hoping to see some impressive landscapes and lush oases as backdrop.

Wait, that's it? The news re-iterated to me sounded like the game was going to be more definitely old-school than that. Is the press putting a hopeful spin on the game again? (just like with Sonic 360 going 'back to the series's roots') Realize the game is using real world references yet again. I hope a flaming dragon burns an arabian city to ashes at sunset in the game. Those elitist weasles don't deserve the satisfaction. lol!

Anyway, the gameplay sounds interesting, but is it an on-rails sort of deal? At best it could be like Nights. I like control-intensive games, and using a Wiimote would be more engaging. Did someone say 2-player? How would that work, I wonder...

I'm not thrilled about getting a Wii, but I wish the best for this game.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:46:06 pm »
13 second trailer from the press conference: http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/sonicrevolution/media.html

I like it, and I want to see more.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 10:39:09 pm »
I just saw the 5 second clip from IGN. Basically, Sonic was running.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 03:51:47 pm »
I saw the gameplay demo, and regardless of how short 'twas, honestly, I believe make a good if not absolutely wonderful game to buy.

Planned and ready to buy along with a Wii.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 04:39:20 pm »
Basically, Sonic was running.

And this is something that Sonic 3D games have been very lacking in lately.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 05:12:20 pm »
I actually agree with Psyborg that I'm not necessarily keen on the idea of it being just Sonic.

I mean, I certainly don't like the way Sega vomits out new characters for every game, but it is nice just to change things up a bit. Knuckles and Tails in S3&K, for example, and Blaze in Rush, only have subtle differences so it's not annoying like having to do hunting levels or anything (assuming you don't like them, I personally don't mind them so much), but you still have to play the game in some different ways.

Also, one character is fucking boring from a storyline POV, not to mention character interaction (yeah, bite me, I'm interested in storyline and characters, even though Sega have the storytelling abilities of an epileptic frog).

As for that video...um, there wasn't much there. And what was didn't look great, to be honest. Reggie was talking about how Sonic is now "completely under your control", but it looked like a goddamn rail-shooter. We'll just see, though.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 05:15:27 pm by Crowbar »

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 06:40:45 pm »
Well, it looked beautiful and the stage was nice, not to mention it looks like another good sonic game from what we know. I think that, regardless of the fact that it's only Sonic, it's gonna be great.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 07:18:14 pm »

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 07:26:51 pm »
All I'm going to say after watching that is:

The Sonic Rush special stages were nice. But not worth a whole game.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 09:59:33 pm »
Heh, although it looks a bit different in a whole trailer, I think it'll still be nice. I sure hope the control scheme won't suck, though, because I'm wondering how we'll be able to control Sonic. Other than that, I think Sega might have something.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 04:30:22 am »
All I'm going to say after watching that is:

The Sonic Rush special stages were nice. But not worth a whole game.

True. There didn't seem to be much more to it than controlling Sonic left and right while being locked on a rail. Pretty much like a fancy special stage. How underwhelming...

Here are the plus sides: It at least does explore some loose gimmicks. When the camera switched to overhead, that looked interesting. The player moved Sonic left without moving forward. How did that work? That sort of reminded me of the Nights water level when it changes to overheard when you enter the garden with the clock in it. The game itself kind of has that impression of Nights in a lot of ways.

The best parts of this so far is the control method, and the fact that although the concept may be kind of flat, the game is really cinematic, which is a win.

Print

Hits: 365 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.15 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.