don't click here

TSC4 - The future of game competition

Print

Author Topic: TSC4 - The future of game competition  (Read 62651 times)

Offline Rolken

TSC4 - The future of game competition
« on: May 10, 2006, 07:46:08 pm »
I have been holding off on divulging the entirety of my plans for TSC because I was not sure they would not be altered. But now recent events leave me decided. So here it is.

TSC4... is not TSC!

In the future, TSC will be one segment of the broader vision - a fully extensible competition network composed of multiple subsites for competition in various game series. A series fan (or fans) can create their own site design and administer rankings built on the TSC4 back end, with automated statistics and content. It is the future!

Think halfway between what TSC is now and what Cyberscore is - we extend beyond Sonic, but rather than doing so with zillions of generic rankings, we have the media and community and Sonicyness (or whatever) that makes us awesome.

Specifically, there're a few pieces that need to come together to finish the puzzle - a semi-simple skin framework (mostly fulfilled by F-Man), backend administration, the content system, and a more robust database. Work is in progress on all four, and nearing completion on a few. It'll be a few months before it all comes to a release-level point, and probably a few more before everything's polished. And when it is, it'll pwn.

Mario Center, anyone? >_>
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: TSC4 - The future of game competition
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 07:47:46 pm »
That is awesome.

I am still pro "The Sonic Center" though >_>

And Super Monkey Ball ftw <_<

</meaningless nonsense>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:02:52 pm »
From what it sounds like, it'll be fscking awesome.

Only thing is... what games would we pick, and how would someone be able to make one (i.e. fill in forms or send TSC some code crap)? It'll all be something interesting in the end if this works out.

*plans a certain competition which he will hide for now*

EDIT: Also, another question: what would we do about multiple competitions for the same thing?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:09:16 pm by PsyBorg »
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:11:36 pm »
I have been holding off on divulging the entirety of my plans for TSC because I was not sure they would not be altered. But now recent events leave me decided. So here it is.
This isn't related to the recent revelations with new Sonic games is it :(
TSC4... is not TSC!
...I am so reminded to pick apart Fake Adventure. Pull a gun, and I will PERSONALLY cage you up. :(

Actually I'm not all anti-pro the concept, but I guess it's just kinda stunning. I mean, how would it work? Would TSC still be the base? Will the others have like subdomains (ie ctr.soniccenter.org) or separate folders (www.soniccenter.org/ctr) or something else? I guess I'm a bit confused. (I may have learned more had I not been idling in the chat.)

So yeah I have no idea what's going on as usual. So, uh, specs plz? *SHOT*

EDIT: Also halfway between here and CyberScore tempts me to say it will suck. But maybe not as much as CS. But iono. I'll let things unfold first before I go making assumptions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 08:13:58 pm by Spinballwizard »
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:29:26 pm »
Sounds cool. If I provide a basic idea as to the sub site I want to produce, will there be a template we can use? I personally want to make and administrate a "Mega Man" (TMC) center or a "Gun Star" (TGSC) center as part of this little family of TSC sites. For the Mega Man site, I could also have a section for how to fight the bosses without special weapons and other cool stuff. Of course I would have to instate the rules of "No select glitch" for MM1, "No Ultimate Form" for MMZ, and other stuff as nessecary.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 01:31:24 am »
I like the Idea... I'd only want TSC to be the base of stuff, or at least the primary homepage *smiles*  Sonic Series > all.

INteresting, though, that we'd have to work harder and harder if we watned to keep on top of the SITE as opposed to each game... I think I'll enjoy it... again, with TAS stuff being the absolute breaking point, cheaters marked, and a society for all scorers everywhere... I think it'll be great!

Personally, I want to see TRMS (Mega Man) so I can finally do something with my X4 times *smiles happily*

I'm curious, though,  as to how well it'll work... perhaps it should still be moderated by our groups and recruit more as needed?
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:28:04 am »
I don't particularly like it, on account of there are a considerable amount of competition communities out there as it is (eg. MK64, Cyberscore, SM64, N64HS, the list goes on).

The rule of thumb has to be that we can't step on established ground. Games only listed on Cyberscore, however, are fair game. X)

EDIT: As a thought, maybe we should stick to Sega games? (The Sega Center ftw?)

Iono, I had that idea a while ago. Do as you will with it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:30:36 am by mike89 »

<3 Thorn.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 07:05:49 am »
The Megaman/Rockman center would definitely be good... maybe it would get me back to one of the RMEXEs at some point.

But anyway, I still think those questions I asked should get an answer sometime soon. Plz.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 07:44:47 am »

That is pro.

Offline Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 05:22:03 pm »
This stuff sounds promising. :o

F-Zero may need a new home if MFO just keeps delaying the ladders indefinitely.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 06:23:52 pm »
Wow, this is awesome... I'm very much pro on your idea Rolk, but not mike, I think the variety is very much appreciated, I mean, we all play games other than Sonic and some compete in them, so why have to make the second trip to Cyberscore, when we can just keep it here. I'm very much pro on any MegaMan games as well. :D
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 01:51:33 am »
This stuff sounds promising. :o

The question is, do we really want F-Zero's community around here?

I stand by my position. The more variety we get, the more we're just going to come into direct competition with Cyberscore. And given the choice, not many first timers here are going to stay for long. (Of course, that has nothing to do with our awesome community, just that Cyberscore is well established.)

<3 Thorn.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 01:54:56 am »
Since Rolken's keep forgetting about posting here...

He's going to register a new domain that has subdomains for each different series that'll be handled by different people. The only reason this is "TSC4" is because it'll be based on TSC's source code.

It's not like the main site here is going to be about many games in general. :o

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 12:10:43 pm »
So the basic structure for the new TSC will be like this? (Using some of the proposed ideas as a template)
Sonic Center
l---> Mega Man Center (and its stuff)
l---> F-Zero Center (and its stuff)
l----> Mario Center (and its stuff)
l-----> Kingdom Hearts Center (another one of my ideas)
TSC's Stuff
-Essentially this diagram depicts TSC with some pages that take users to the sub sites which are pre-constructed but handeled by different people. I'm still figuring out how to actually regulate the competitions for Mega Man games since to my knowledge, only X5 and beyond and the Zero series actually keep track of time. I do however, plan to have some guides for series as a whole, including boss battles without special weapons. (Such as Wood Man, a boss that people here want to know how I beat without special weapons. Speaking of Mega Man, heres a trailer to the latest Mega Man game. This one looked really promising at E3.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/megamanzx/media.html (Under Trailer 1)

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 12:22:36 pm »
Since Rolken's keep forgetting about posting here...

He's going to register a new domain that has subdomains for each different series that'll be handled by different people. The only reason this is "TSC4" is because it'll be based on TSC's source code.

It's not like the main site here is going to be about many games in general. :o
This is a good thing.  The media/community side of things is definitely TSC's strongest point, and if we offer that to other franchises and communities while not having that encroach upon TSC it'll rock muchly.

One thing concerns me slightly; I take it Rolken et al aren't going to run every The X Center community (unless they give up, like, everything else they do ever), so whether or not you'd get a consistent level of modding/cheat catching and whatnot is unsure.

Also, with regard to other competitive gaming communities, especially the ones we're affiliated with - would it be possible to combine this with them, or have them running The Whatever Center in an overall TSC webring?  I guess that depends on them more than anything, but that'd mean no toe-treading hopefully.

The thought occurs that Rolken has probably thought of all this, so meh, ignore me :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Rolken

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 11:34:28 pm »
This isn't related to the recent revelations with new Sonic games is it :(
Yep

Sounds cool. If I provide a basic idea as to the sub site I want to produce, will there be a template we can use?
Yes.

Maybe 5-10 years ago :/

MFO is gaying up F-Zero? That's unfortunate to hear. I remember thinking their design sucked horribly the last time I visited.

I stand by my position. The more variety we get, the more we're just going to come into direct competition with Cyberscore. And given the choice, not many first timers here are going to stay for long. (Of course, that has nothing to do with our awesome community, just that Cyberscore is well established.)
Cyberscore is far from well-established. They have a lot of categories, but are anemic in their support for any single game, as you can tell from their game list (RPC = average submissions per chart). The majority don't even hit 10. A dedicated site run by people with a passion for the games and a variety of offerings beyond a generic set of ranking sheets and maybe a forum topic has a lot more going for it, and is just plain more fun to compete in. I know I would never have bothered to compete in Cyberscore's Sonic rankings.

Also, with regard to other competitive gaming communities, especially the ones we're affiliated with - would it be possible to combine this with them, or have them running The Whatever Center in an overall TSC webring?  I guess that depends on them more than anything, but that'd mean no toe-treading hopefully.
Yeah, depends on them. I want to stay away completely from series for which others already made sites with automated rankings and media (ie. Monkey Ball). If one or the other is lacking the option is possible, but I don't really want to push for assimilating others - though of course if they want to join I won't refuse.

One thing concerns me slightly; I take it Rolken et al aren't going to run every The X Center community (unless they give up, like, everything else they do ever), so whether or not you'd get a consistent level of modding/cheat catching and whatnot is unsure.
This is my primary concern. I am confident that achieving consistent high quality is possible, and I have several concepts I'm batting around, but I haven't quite settled on the ideal strategy yet. Sometime I'll lay out what my thoughts are (as for now I am tired not thoughtful :X).
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 12:32:07 pm »
I don't know if I'd really have any use for this yet.
Just about all I play is Sonic, and what isn't Sonic (F-Zero X, for example), Cyberscore has.
If this'll support custom challenges for SA (and if people will actually play them), that could be cool.

The main thing is to make sure that this is The Sonic Center, and that it's
about Sonic, with other games' charts just added in as a little bonus.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 04:02:24 pm »
It is the future!

I call insanity!

So like, it is in effect the Competition Nexus m i rite?

And as I understand it, I - as a fan of, say, Dead or Alive 4 - would create a segment of 'TSC4' which would be a Time Attack ranking for the game/series... which runs off the same shell and system and other tech-type words as all the Sonic game rankings...

To put it more coherently, it is some by far better realisation of that thread in Wikkity, "itt we TA anything not tracked by TSC"?

Also do not ask me why I only read this thread just now.

EDIT: Plus, with the inevitable influx of users from other competition sites if we have tables for F-Zero, Mario Kart, etc... More forum staff will invariably be needed. Especially if some people from these communities are as noob as is rumoured. So to keep things tidy and Sonicyness in the community, more staffers on the forum. Know what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 04:08:02 pm by CosmicFalcon »
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 05:27:42 pm »
To put it more coherently, it is some by far better realisation of that thread in Wikkity, "itt we TA anything not tracked by TSC"?

stfu noob, my topic is pro <_<

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2006, 06:47:24 pm »
EDIT: Plus, with the inevitable influx of users from other competition sites if we have tables for F-Zero, Mario Kart, etc... More forum staff will invariably be needed. Especially if some people from these communities are as noob as is rumoured. So to keep things tidy and Sonicyness in the community, more staffers on the forum. Know what I'm saying.

Yeah we know what you're saying.

NO MODS FOR YOU.

Unless you take one of Rolk's championships - that was the deal was it not?

<3 Thorn.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 04:27:23 am »
NO MODS FOR YOU.

Unless you take one of Rolk's championships - that was the deal was it not?

stfu noob
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Andromeda

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 09:59:16 pm »

TSC4... is not TSC!

In the future, TSC will be one segment of the broader vision - a fully extensible competition network composed of multiple subsites for competition in various game series. A series fan (or fans) can create their own site design and administer rankings built on the TSC4 back end, with automated statistics and content. It is the future!

Think halfway between what TSC is now and what Cyberscore is - we extend beyond Sonic, but rather than doing so with zillions of generic rankings, we have the media and community and Sonicyness (or whatever) that makes us awesome.

Specifically, there're a few pieces that need to come together to finish the puzzle - a semi-simple skin framework (mostly fulfilled by F-Man), backend administration, the content system, and a more robust database. Work is in progress on all four, and nearing completion on a few. It'll be a few months before it all comes to a release-level point, and probably a few more before everything's polished. And when it is, it'll pwn.

Mario Center, anyone? >_>

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 06:38:35 pm »
Ya rly.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 10:39:08 pm »
XD!!!
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 03:48:29 am »
above all else, it's the community that makes TSC awesome...

just keep it down... or over a LONG period of time...

I don't want the STFU N0OB buttons of my recent keyboard to be worn off...

The Aitamen
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 10:15:38 pm »
Wait. I have an IDEA.

Maybe we shouldn't just create them by default, but have someone with an idea present it to Rolken or somesuch for review and stuff. And then if it goes through, then the presenter essentially gets to be in charge of said section.

The Puzzle Center was actually something I've been thinking about since this came up. I mean, I kinda like puzzle games. I can't get up a complete list of what I'd want, but I know DRMBM, Puzzle League/Challenge, maybe this Zoop game I know of, and potentially some others. Iono.

But one thing must remain I say.

TSC must still remain its own entity. And maybe all the other subsites too. :(
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 02:06:32 am »
I thought that was implied.

There has to be some sort of screening process or subsites will be made left right and centre with maybe two players, max. And that's not what we want. (I mean, look at Sonic Jam.)

Certainly, Mega Man looks to be popular - that should probably be the first to go up.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 03:17:39 am »
I mean, look at Sonic Jam.)

stfu noob, Sonic Jam pwns <_<

And not Effy's crappy looking version either >_>

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 02:48:39 pm »
Certainly, Mega Man looks to be popular - that should probably be the first to go up.
Sweet. Since The Mega Man Center is my idea, I call dibs on leadership in that sub site. Out of everyone here at TSC, the person that is the most passionate/familiar about Mega Man games besides from me is probably sonicam, so he'd be one of my first choices for mod status of TMC. I'm not familiar with the Battle Network series, (I've got every game in the other major series except for the last 3 non-remakes of the X series) so I'll need someone with expertise in Battle Network as a mod as well.
-Besides from Mega Man center, what other games would be good first subsite additions? I personally support the F-Zero Center and Puzzle Center ideas.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2006, 07:49:14 am »
Wait. I have an IDEA.

Maybe we shouldn't just create them by default, but have someone with an idea present it to Rolken or somesuch for review and stuff. And then if it goes through, then the presenter essentially gets to be in charge of said section.

But one thing must remain I say.

TSC must still remain its own entity. And maybe all the other subsites too. :(

Hang on... isn't that exactly what the entire concept of TSC4 is? o.o

Print

Hits: 354 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.29 MB | Time: 0.42s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.