don't click here

I don't know what other forum to put this in, but

Print

Author Topic: I don't know what other forum to put this in, but  (Read 7829 times)

« on: March 05, 2004, 05:55:32 am »
I downloaded a couple of Sonic 1 songs, and realised the music seemed super-fast in comparison to what I'd been used to. I turned on my GCN, and accidently sent it into 60Hz mode. Oddly enough, the music ran at the same pace as it did in the downloaded files. Also, I noticed the game ran a little faster than it used to.

So, my question to you is, have I been playing in 50Hz mode while you guys have been playing in 60Hz mode for my entire life? Certainly this could cause a dispute, as it is considerably easier to play when you have more time to execute each movement. When submitting times, do you have to play in a certain mode? And if so, how does one do that on a Megadrive/Genesis? Maybe that's what the mysterious "mode" button was for...?

*Is confused*

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 03:14:03 pm »
I downloaded a couple of Sonic 1 songs, and realised the music seemed super-fast in comparison to what I'd been used to. I turned on my GCN, and accidently sent it into 60Hz mode. Oddly enough, the music ran at the same pace as it did in the downloaded files. Also, I noticed the game ran a little faster than it used to.

So, my question to you is, have I been playing in 50Hz mode while you guys have been playing in 60Hz mode for my entire life? Certainly this could cause a dispute, as it is considerably easier to play when you have more time to execute each movement. When submitting times, do you have to play in a certain mode? And if so, how does one do that on a Megadrive/Genesis? Maybe that's what the mysterious "mode" button was for...?

*Is confused*
For genesis/ megadrive, there's a special controller that can give you an awesome advantage if you have it. It has a turbo button, and a button that slows the game down. It was kind of cheap in sonic though, because you could slow the game down, and press a bunch of buttons, then enter normal speed, and you'd do whatever you meant to when you where in slow-mo. It also gave you a speed boost if you press the button repeatedly in the direction you want to go. It was unbelievably cheap. It gave you awesome times. I used to write my times down when I used that controller, and in sonic 2 emerald hill zone act 1, I got 10 seconds using that controller. But I won't submit it, because it was cheap using that controller. and I never heard of a "Mode" button. Is it a  Button on the genesis? Oh, and how can you change the hz? I'm not going to do it, but I see no place you can do that on the gamecube.....

I HOPE YOU DO

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 05:53:24 pm »
yes, a little of both really.

I HOPE YOU DO

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 10:22:03 pm »
The 'mode' button was on top of the Megadrive controller to the right of where the cord comes out; I don't know about the Genesis controllers, though. You can change the Hz on GCN by holding onto B as you turn on your Gamecube, until it comes up with a screen asking if you want to change the Hz mode from 50 to 60.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 10:22:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure you hold B at the startup, this should bring up the screen "Would you like to display in 60Hz mode?"

It does that for most games, anyway.

<3 Thorn.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 10:23:15 pm »
OMG Same time post!

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 10:47:04 pm »
They're actually three seconds apart, but meh.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 06:03:42 am »
Close enough. Anyway, can you shed any light on the subject, Sadistic?

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 12:16:08 pm »
I've never had a PAL copy of anything, so no.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 01:32:41 pm »
:huh: There isn't a 'Mode' button on my MegaDrive controller...

But I noticed the American versions are faster... I say haha to them.   :D
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 02:20:07 am »
Are you sure there's no "Mode" button? Maybe it's only on the 6-button controllers? At any rate, you should check again. I'd try mucking around with it, but my Megadrive transformer has broken wires, AND the RF input thingie makes the screen green.

If you can check again, I'd appreciate it. It's hidden from view, almost like a shoulder button for your right hand.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 04:59:24 am »
Checked again, not there. I have 3-button controllers so maybe you're right about that. Perhaps it's something to do with those controllers, like turbo or something perhaps?
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2004, 10:02:47 pm »
I can't change the fhz when holding b at startup.......

I HOPE YOU DO

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 02:41:05 am »
Maybe the Mode button is only on 6 button controllers. I know that you can change the frequency on most GCN games; I know for a fact it works on Sonic Mega Collection, SADX and SA2B. Maybe the frequency can only be changed on PAL versions of games, since IIRC the Freeloader plays NTSC or JAP versions of games on the PAL GCN, but only on TVs compatible with 60Hz mode.

For me, this topic has raised more questions than it's answered.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 02:41:48 am by Popo Nana »

Offline ybbun

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 06:27:28 am »
The mode button is on 6 button controllers to enable/disable the x/y/z buttons.

Print

Hits: 607 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.