don't click here

Pokemon!

Print

Author Topic: Pokemon!  (Read 32994 times)

Offline Rolken

Pokemon!
« on: March 13, 2004, 11:22:40 am »
we were talkin about it in the chatty; I played chromatics a lot back in the day but kinda got out of practice with gematics.

also would there be any interest in a TSC Pokemon tourney?
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Pokemon!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 12:25:18 pm »
also would there be any interest in a TSC Pokemon tourney?
No thank you. Pokemon was okay for a while....that is, until you so easily got your level to maximum and couldn't do anything but get bored pretending you actually like fighting people you pawn so easily. If you're reffering to the card game, I have several things to say:
1) The game was so freaking complex, noone really understands it well
2)Noone really collects pokemon cards anymore
3)When people did collect pokemon cards, It was too get money off of them, and brag about how lucky they were to get rare cards to to there friends
4) How could you play a pokemon card tournament over the internet? People would lie about what they had, and scanning your cards and typing out your moves is just pointless.
Rolken, If we are going to have a tournament for something, let it be Super Smash Brothers Melee. That is an awesome game. Of course, we would have to wait until SSBM 2 is released (if it is going to be released) and wait for them to encorporate internet access into the gamecube, like Xbox and PS2 has. Of course, nothing as crappy as the internet acces those systems have.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 12:26:25 pm by blueblaze »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Cybrax

Pokemon!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 12:31:46 pm »
Haha I just found all my cards, theres an unopen mewtwo card from that movie in there wtf.  Anyway I dont know how to play that, I know how to play magic though.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Pokemon!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 12:34:38 pm »
Haha I just found all my cards, theres an unopen mewtwo card from that movie in there wtf.  Anyway I dont know how to play that, I know how to play magic though.
I have a ton of cards, too. I was going to buy them, just to sell them, but no one was interested. I own 5 Charizards and other stuff. Of course, I do hate pokemon. Anyone here want to buy my cards? I could put them on e-bay. I might list all my cards later...

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Rolken

Pokemon!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 12:37:35 pm »
No thank you. Pokemon was okay for a while....that is, until you so easily got your level to maximum and couldn't do anything but get bored pretending you actually like fighting people you pawn so easily.
You mean you fought against people who WEREN'T level 100? Well, of course that would be boring.

Offline SadisticMystic

Pokemon!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 12:50:44 pm »
This is old, outdated, and probably incomplete, but here's 168 pages I wrote on the game:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/fi...on_strategy.txt

I intentionally left it as a non-link because it doesn't work if it's a link.  Just c/p the address into the URL bar and laugh at GameFAQs' security system.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Pokemon!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 01:09:40 pm »
No thank you. Pokemon was okay for a while....that is, until you so easily got your level to maximum and couldn't do anything but get bored pretending you actually like fighting people you pawn so easily.
You mean you fought against people who WEREN'T level 100? Well, of course that would be boring.
No, I fought my friends too. They had the game. It was always left to chance, though, because Even though my friends had level 100 legend(Aricuno,Moltres,Zapdos,Mewtwo,etc.), it was left to chance,because we had the same exact stats and moves. Seriously. I even changed around a few of my moves so it wouldn't be left to chance, but since I'm a megalomaniac strategist,like all my friends, it still gets left to chance. The only way it was remotely fun was with pokemon stadium, using only rentals, not our game boy games. And that game had such a low life span that we just wound up playing some of the minigames that were fun,but completely unrelated to battles. So, in closing, pokemon had good mini-games, but horiid battles.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline SadisticMystic

Pokemon!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 01:15:05 pm »
No, I fought my friends too. They had the game. It was always left to chance, though, because Even though my friends had level 100 legend(Aricuno,Moltres,Zapdos,Mewtwo,etc.), it was left to chance,because we had the same exact stats and moves. Seriously. I even changed around a few of my moves so it wouldn't be left to chance, but since I'm a megalomaniac strategist,like all my friends, it still gets left to chance. The only way it was remotely fun was with pokemon stadium, using only rentals, not our game boy games. And that game had such a low life span that we just wound up playing some of the minigames that were fun,but completely unrelated to battles. So, in closing, pokemon had good mini-games, but horiid battles.
If they're using all three of those fools on the same team, and you're trying to do the same, obviously you hadn't figured out the best way to win.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Pokemon!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 01:23:18 pm »

If they're using all three of those fools on the same team, and you're trying to do the same, obviously you hadn't figured out the best way to win.
Probably true. But I didn't really see the point of playing the game just to find out. I mean, I have better things to do than just play video games with my friends. Well, actually, it sorta depends on the game... but pokemon didn't appeal to me when I played it. Oh, but for your information, I  used Dragonite,Gengar,Arcanine, and Tauros on my team for variation. But it still...just..didn't make the game click for me,and it didn't vary the game being left to chance,even though I completely changed my strategy sometimes.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
Pokemon!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 01:33:44 pm »
Original two cartidges were the best
Yellow was good too since it was pretty much the same as red and blue, only leaning towards the tv show.

Gold and Silver were good, but there were too many pokemon. It was a long game too, so that was nice

Crystal, I dont see why somebody would buy this just for that pokemon tower if they already owned silver and/or gold

Ruby sapphire= the game has gotten way to complicated. I don't know who Pikachu should get it on with to get some other pokemon. the breeding drove me away from the game. plus, theres all these rare pokemon (half of them).

While it's still a good game, the quality of the game has increased, but the interest level, and fun factor (for me at least) has decreased.

This is the order in which pokemon games I enjoyed the most

1.Pokemon Red
2.Pokemon Blue
3.Pokemon Yellow
4.Pokemon Stadium
5.Pokemon Silver
6.Pokemon Gold
7.Pokemon Crystal
8.Pokemon Sapphire
9.Pokemon Ruby

I never played PS 2.

Offline CosmicFalcon

Pokemon!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 01:38:26 pm »
I gave up after I got bored on Silver. I mean, once you've played through the game to the end, all there's left to do is train. And that becomes boring when no one in your area plays it anymore.

I have a lot of cards left though. I was too late to get big money out of them however.

If we all got a program called Apprentice we could play a Magic the Gathering tournament... I know how to play that. And I think the program can be adapted to fit Pokemon.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline SadisticMystic

Pokemon!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 01:59:12 pm »
It can, and I have Apprentice, but can't seem to reach anyone with it.

Offline Rolken

Pokemon!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 02:06:54 pm »
So y'all know, there are several methods of holding GameBoy Pokemon battles on the internet; the preferred one is IRC bots, and there is also NetBattle and PBS (the original Internet pokemon battle simulator that started it all).

Pokemon!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 02:45:05 pm »
My Opinon on Pokemon:

Red & Blue: Love them when they came out, couldn't stand them after playing Gold,
Yellow: Never played.
Gold: Personal Favorite, in process of transfer most of my pokemon to it and crystal.
Silver: Never played.
Crystal: To much like Gold
Ruby & Sapphire: I want to get 1! of them.
Stadium: never played
Stadium2: Great game, impossible with rentals though.
TCG GB: Awsome Game.
Pinball: I love pinball, but the game is too hard.
Fire/Leaf/Water: I want 1 of them.
Collesum: Me want! Me Want!
Anime: was good until Johto. End the madness and Start over with the Collesum story, and chars.
Card Game: no one to play with, I want to get rid of my cards.

Offline Tails47 2

Pokemon!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 03:58:15 pm »
pokemon is really not that bad. It was the anime that made the game "kiddy".

Red and Blue were the originals and they were awesome. Is my second favorite. But very close to being the first.

Yellow was pretty cool if you'd like the anime and wanted all three starters without trading.

Gold/Silver: Never Played

Crystal: My favorite pokemon game. It had so many cool and unique pokemon. Had the battle tower, had Kanto, had everything.

Ruby and Sapphire was okay. The game was too short IMO. They should have taken out the EVs and characteristics (like Modest incresing Sp. Att and decreases Sp. Def). In this game if you don't EV train, your pokemon Stats are very VERY underpar. Plus some of the pokemon were repetitive (I mean they made 2 dark/grass pokemon and 2 dark/water)

Offline SadisticMystic

Pokemon!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 05:24:07 pm »
Also take a look at my PKUtility tool, see if you find it useful, and report any bugs to me.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Pokemon!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 09:24:42 pm »
I gave up after I got bored on Silver. I mean, once you've played through the game to the end, all there's left to do is train. And that becomes boring when no one in your area plays it anymore.

I have a lot of cards left though. I was too late to get big money out of them however.

If we all got a program called Apprentice we could play a Magic the Gathering tournament... I know how to play that. And I think the program can be adapted to fit Pokemon.
Hehe, bugger adapting it to fit Pokemon, let's just have a Magic tourney! I've been playing for about a year, but I sort of gave up on it not long ago.

Oh yeah, and CF is damn right about how Pokemon gets boring over time.

<3 Thorn.

Offline F-Man

Pokemon!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2004, 12:08:39 am »
I used to like Pokémon a lot... I had version Blue. But now I keep away from RPG's.

Offline Rolken

Pokemon!
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 02:07:33 am »
Yeah, I totally know what you mean. I used to be all about RPGs. It's strategy-based! I don't need hair-splitting accuracy with my trigger finger! every battle gets you closer to the end! (more points or whatever) etc. But now it's like... okay, all I have to do to beat this is waste enough time to build high enough. That's pretty dumb. Sapphire is the only RPG I've bought now in quite awhile, and I won't touch those MMORPGs with a ten foot pole, since it's all the stuff I don't like about RPGs maxxed to the limit and without any real final objective. Not only do I get to waste hours leveling up, I get to pay a monthly fee to do it! No thanks. A brief flirting with Ragnarok was enough to turn me away from that.

Smash Bros, Zelda, Sonic... that's where it's at for me.

Offline CosmicFalcon

Pokemon!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 06:35:38 am »
Word, Rolken.

But this online GB Pkmn playing sounds good... hmm... Maybe I can actually put them old cartridges to use.

Actually I have a friend who recently purchased Ruby, so if I get Sapphire then there might be more replay value.

So... this online playing... with an IRC bot? How does that work? Do I have to plug my GBA into the computer or something? Because surely for that I'd need some special hardware...  :huh:

Anyways, if this can get working... I can get my Lv100 Mew some long needed exercise.  :ph34r:
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Tails47 2

Pokemon!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2004, 07:17:17 am »
YOu can battle online using an IRC bot (Which I never use), use Netbattle (Which I never use), or you can use PBS (The only thing I use)

For the IRC Bots and Netbattle you have to download them. That's why I don't use them. The PBS is free and you don't have to download it.

Offline CosmicFalcon

Pokemon!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2004, 09:00:55 am »
Where can I find this PBS?

*pets Mew in a very Bond villain way*

EDITED: Okay, I found the PBS site... but the problem is it only supports RBY. I want to be able to use my GSC critters!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 09:08:59 am by CosmicFalcon »

Offline Tails47 2

Pokemon!
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2004, 09:12:00 am »
To my knowledge, you can only play with GSC pokemon online with a downloaded place (IRC Bots and Netbattle)

PBS is only for RBY.

Oh and if yoiu are having a real battle, I suggest not using Mew or any other legendary pokemon. If you do, the person you are battling might call you cheap and they will quit.

Offline CosmicFalcon

Pokemon!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2004, 09:56:34 am »
Oh.

*puts Mew back into Pokéball*

Yeah I downloaded NetBattle. It's swanky.

Let's have a TSC tourney!!

Offline Rolken

Pokemon!
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2004, 10:55:45 am »
OK, let me clear up some confusion about the bots...

You don't have to download the bots; they work like ChanServ and such. They can run RBY, GSC or RuSa matches. To use them, you go to #battlearena on irc.yourirc.net (I think the chromatics ones are in #rbystadium), tell them your team with the commands they use via PM, and then challenge someone.

Oh and if yoiu are having a real battle, I suggest not using Mew or any other legendary pokemon.

Definitely. We can work out the details later, though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 10:57:44 am by Rolken »

Pokemon!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 12:13:01 am »
I play it I have Scizor, Kingdra and Steelix my Pokemon can K.O. any of yours I have tons of Level 100s
"Throw a knife at a monitor to seriously hack it" -Me
"Screens have databases in my world" -Me
"No, it does not mean "*sleeping*" -GerbilSoft
Chatroom Quotes
------------------------------

Rolken: Less caps, more cool
"itt we're cool" topic in Wikkity!

blueblaze: So, for once I agree with formarfan.
"If you can read this" topic in Wikkity!

Offline Zealous

Pokemon!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 04:30:33 pm »
Hey. I play it.

Red & Blue: Have both. They were fun, I suppose... But I used a GameShark. My blue version has the "perfect" team, with Venusaur, Cloyster, Arcanine, Dragonite (meh), Jolteon, and Mewtwo. Yay. My Red version has this Venusaur with glitched out HP. ... Wait a second... Not anymore...

Yellow: Have it. But I'm confused. In the game I remember playing, I got rid of that horrible yellow rat as soon as I could. Yet I turn it on, and there's a lvl 50 Pikachu... Along with some other level 50-or-so pokèmon.. And a Mew. Also a level 3 Raticate. It could only be the doings of a GameShark. I think my brother played it awhile, because the trainer has his middle name.

Gold & Silver: Can't seem to find them... I know I played the Gold mostly, as I played Blue. Silver is maybe GameShark'd a bit.

Crystal: Have it. I was kinda fun going through it again. But I recreated my team from Gold with a GameShark--and knowing Suicune had better stats, I used him. I had bought a guide from Versus Books, with their little Pokèdex in the back.. I was able to look through all moves/stats/evolutions, it was pretty handy in making a good team. Even though my team consists mostly of Eevee evolutions, because Eevee rox my sox and Pikachu should die. *hugs Espeon*

Stadium 1 & 2: It was fun seeing my pokèmon kick ass in 3D. But the mini-games were even better.

Ruby & Sapphire: I own only Sapphire. It was almost my first time playing it for real--I didn't use an Action Replay. Well, maybe because I don't have one yet. For the most part, I didn't use any guides. Later on I looked on the 'net for pokè locations. But I'm going to have to miss out on some.. I did some stupid things and screwed myself over. But I'm glad I've caught every Legendary--well, except for Latios and Grou-somethin'. Can't get them in Sapph. I need an action replay because I don't want to use up a bunch of time leveling up...  ... If I'm stupid enough, I WILL buy Ruby. But, better if I get my friend to instead...

Leaf & Fire: I might buy one, I dunno.. I bought Sapphire on an impulse. And even if I do get one, I won't be able to trade Eevee over anyway, I only have one GBA! Crap.

Collosseum: Can't rent. Gotta buy, gotta buy, gotta buy. But don't worry, it's not high on my priority.

..... Looong post.  :blink:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 04:33:07 pm by zealous »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Pokemon!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 04:55:15 pm »
Formarfan, my team aren't all level 100's but I could probably take down your 'tons of level 100's'. Post 6 examples of them, then I'll post my team and we'll have a neutral judge take an educated guess at who would pwn who.

EDIT: I felt like posting my team anyway, I'll bet my ass that Formarfan now picks Pokemon with type/move advantages over my team. Oh, and, Battle Tower rules: No Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza or Eggs.

Team Dragon (Needs a better name)

Pokemon #1
Flygon
Level:80
Ability:Levitate
Item:Blackglasses

Moves:
Crunch (15PP)
Dragon Claw (15PP)
Solar Beam (10PP)
Sunny Day (5PP)

Stats:
HP:240
Attack:197
Defense:145
Special Attack:187
Special Defense:164
Speed:199
Nature:Mild

Role in team: Special Attacker

Pokemon #2
Kingdra
Ability:Swift Swim
Item:Leftovers

Moves:
Surf (15PP)
Double Team (15PP)
Ice Beam (10PP)
Twister (20PP)  (blech...only because I cant be bothered to breed Dragonbreath onto a Horsea....looking on the bright side, he has the near useless ability to hit Flying Pokemon....who in their right mind uses Fly in a player versus player battle anyway? o_0)

Stats:
HP:234
Attack:207
Defense:178
Special Attack:173
Special Defense:179
Speed:173
Nature:Docile

Role in team: Overall Staller/Annoyer

Pokemon #3
Altaria
Ability:Natural Cure

Moves:
Sky Attack (5PP)
Dragon Claw (15PP)
Sing (15PP)
Dragon Dance (20PP)

Stats:
HP:230
Attack:162
Defense:165
Special Attack:115
Special Defense:217
Speed:164
Nature:Careful

Role in team: Annoyer/Special Staller

Pokemon #4
Salamence
Level:79
Ability:Intimidate

Moves:
Hyper Beam (5PP) (Everyone needs a last ditch attack =P)
Flamethrower (15PP)
Dragon Claw (15PP)
Aerial Ace  (20PP)

Stats:
HP:273
Attack:294
Defense:147
Special Attack:189
Special Defense:139
Speed:190
Nature:Naughty

Role in team:Physical powerhouse

Pokemon #5
Latias (Battle Tower doesn't ban Latias/Latios, or the Regi's for that matter, therefore, they are 'legal'.
Level:79
Item:Magnet

Moves:
Dragon Claw (18PP)
Recover (20PP)
Psychic (10PP)
Thunderbolt (15PP)

Stats:
HP:243
Attack:155
Defense:163
Special Attack:207
Special Defense:227
Speed:174
Nature:Quiet

Role in team:Special Attacker/Special Staller

Pokemon #6
Flygon
Level:100
Item:Metal Coat

Moves:
Steel Wing (25PP)
Earthquake (10PP)
Dragon Claw (15PP)
Double Team (15PP)

Stats:
HP:293
Attack:249
Defense:209
Special Attack:208
Special Defense:187
Speed:250
Nature:Naive

Role in team: Physical Attacker/Overall Staller/Annoyer/Speed Attacker

There you have it, to my knowledge, NO Pokemon is safe from my team, they can each cover their weaknesses (All of them can counter Dragon types, and Salamence and Flygon (#6) can take care of Ice types), as well as every other type out there. I dont really see how Formarfan can have 6 Pokemon that even work remotely as well as team as these 6, I've played in battles with them, both Single and Double, and it annoys the hell out of my opponent, frusttrating them over the fact my teams weaknesses cannot be exploited. And just for the record, there're 2 Flygon because Flygon is my favourite Pokemon =P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 05:33:04 pm by RPGnutter »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Pokemon!
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2004, 09:43:15 pm »
Woah,  also have Kingdra!!! My team:
:L100 Typhlosion
Item: None
Flamethrower
Cut
Dig
Endure
:L100 Shiny Gyarados
Item: Amulet Coin
Surf
Strength
Headbutt
Hyper Beam
:L100 Kingdra
Item: Red Scale
Whirlpool
Surf
Ice Beam (Move Tutor)
Waterfall
:L100 Scizor
Item: None
False Swipe
Cut
Fury Cutter
Swords Dance
:L100 Steelix
Item: Quick Claw
Iron Tail
Tackle (O_o)
Hyper Beam
Focus Energy
That's my team.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 01:34:05 am by formarfan »
"Throw a knife at a monitor to seriously hack it" -Me
"Screens have databases in my world" -Me
"No, it does not mean "*sleeping*" -GerbilSoft
Chatroom Quotes
------------------------------

Rolken: Less caps, more cool
"itt we're cool" topic in Wikkity!

blueblaze: So, for once I agree with formarfan.
"If you can read this" topic in Wikkity!

Offline Zealous

Pokemon!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2004, 12:55:21 am »
I'll be the judge!

Um, um, well, eh. formarfan didn't give much info. And an amulet coin is useless in player vs. player battles... But anyway...

formarfan might just win in strength advantage. He's a whole twenty levels over all of yours, except only one.

Here, I know: each of you pick three (just like in Battle Tower, of course). formarfan, provide the moveset and stats. I'll judge from that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 12:57:11 am by Zealous »

Print

Hits: 1,279 | Hits This Month: 6 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.26 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.