don't click here

Sonic Turbo

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Turbo  (Read 76176 times)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Turbo
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2007, 09:56:41 am »
...okay, I'm starting to see that leaving the decisions up to everyone else wasn't such a good idea. Nobody's giving a reason for why they think what they do. Well, maybe egg is, but he's yet to give a coherent reason. Egg, if you like the original New Adventure music, that's fine and well, but give a reason other than "it made me think of Emerald Hill music in a new way". I didn't ask you to smoke a phatty before listening >_>, and you reasoning for the last one is that it's not a good port just because you don't like Green Grove. It's not just egg either, he just happens to have said the most. I'm not criticizing because I'm getting trashed; I'm criticizing because I'm getting trashed with no reasons provided other than "I like it" or "I don't like it". Geez, say why. I'll take "It doesn't fit the level theme" or "I don't like the instrumentation" or anything.

At this point, I think I'm going to construct the sound driver the way I envision it. I've waited too long for honest opinions; I'd like to update soon. As crazy as this is gonna sound, I wanna see what a judge would say if I entered my hack in the S2Beta Hacking Contest. No ASM, no team of people helping me work on it... just me, a few utilities, and a hex editor. Art/palettes, level design, and music all count towards the hack even if I can't program some uber-special move or whatnot. Maybe I could get some cheesy "good effort" comment in a review. :P
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline eggFL

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2007, 01:14:45 pm »
Because Green Grove is kiddy. your edit is good but it didn't change that. But Emerald Hill is trancey and cool. Which is better for a night stage? Which is better for a cool and pro Sonic hack?

It DID make me think of Emerald Hill in a new way. That's what makes the edit so special and why editing is important. (I'd point out the part of the song I'm talking about but I don't have sound on this comp.) So edit good songs in good ways or bad songs in good ways and use those songs in the hack. The other songs were just noisy.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2007, 01:27:23 pm »
^Egg, I'm changing them because I'm sick of Emerald Hill, and the majority of the Sonic community probably is as well. I'm not saying that the new music is better or worse, necessarily. I'm just looking for change. Also, if I'm going to enter that contest, I need to be a bit showy, without killing anything. :P

I've already ported all but one song for the current release, so I might have a release by the end of the day. This went so much quicker than I thought it would.

Also, about your "it's kiddy" remark... you do realize that Sonic 2 is a kid's game, right? Not that it's only for kids, but that was the target audience, heh.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2007, 03:01:24 pm »
I'm not talking about target audience. I'm talking about music. Kiddy is a bad thing.

I'm not saying that the new music is better or worse, necessarily. I'm just looking for change.

I totally get what you're saying. Just as I have given verdicts on one song or another in this thread based on which one is new. (but only when neither song was necessarily that better than the other) I'm heartbroken though. =( *sniff*

Offline Bilan

• TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2007, 06:05:44 pm »
Green Grove is not kiddy, it is win
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2007, 06:34:06 pm »
Okay, whilst you all argue amongst yourselves, here's v0.7. There's the new music setup. Go knock yourselves out. Feel free to comment here, but know that I'll read post from those that are commenting and not bitching (there IS a difference...).

EDIT: Crap, forgot to fix the checksum... and MegaUpload is giving me a hard time when I try to upload a fixed version...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:23:55 pm by Thorn »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2007, 01:15:58 pm »
This is from an old version (the one before .7), but I'm assuming it's not fixed. I can't remember what act offhand, but there's a bit of a problem with this here loop in Boardwalk.

Thorn EDIT: I think I found that bug once upon a time, and it should be fixed now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 01:21:40 pm by Thorn »
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:07 pm »
Woohoo! Hammered out v0.72 today.

After receiving complaints about the speed shoe having minimal effect on Sonic, I muddled through hex values, hunting for a way to affect the speed the item gives you. I found how to alter the amount of rings a Super Ring item gives, but I didn't care to alter it. Then I struck gold and found the values for Sonic's and Tails' new speeds, and the item's duration. Then I struck even more gold, and found that I could recreate SMTP's Speed/Slow Shoe system. The problem was finding a way to flaunt my lil' find without looking like an "idea thief" (hackers seem really possessive anymore... not saying SMTP is, but others might say I ripped it from him).

So I came up with a lil' system that I hope makes it seem a bit more original:

The items have been labeled as "Heavy" and "Light", although really I can't modify the character's weights. Light will speed you up drastically and give you a fair bit of control (relative to your speed, of course). Heavy will make it neigh impossible to walk, so you'll have to make like Sonic Labyrinth and spindash around; dont' trigger the speedcap once you get that speed. ;) Of course, it doesn't take a physicist to tell you that it's a bit harder to stop with your increased weight. The items have been set to last for about 18 minutes and 13 seconds (the maximum I could), so unless you're using Debug, they only wear off when you die, finish the act, or strike the opposite item. I've set the items in places where I feel that you are being rewarded for going out of your way even in the slightest, or "punished" for recklessly plowing through lines of items before learning the course (not counting the demo pair at the start of New Adventure 1).

This is not without its share of bugs, I'm sure. The music speeds up / slows down dependant on the music setup and regardless of the item, which occured in Megamix and SMTP too. If there are any spots that are impossible due to becoming heavy at the wrong place, please show me with screens or a .giz, although good spindashing and jumping should get you through 99.9% of the time.

EDIT: A comment from RPG on his playing during an MSN conversation:
"I keep thinking ^ = lolfast :(, but really ^ = lolfatass."
Iono, I thought he was clever ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:10:21 pm by Thorn »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2007, 12:20:17 pm »
HOLY SHIT THAT'S FAST.

I just got done telling RPG that I blazed halfway across boardwalk 1 offscreen. >_>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2007, 03:32:03 pm »
>_>

This won't be helped.

Thorn EDIT: Consider it helped with my attachment. Speedcap, Wax. Speedcap.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:06:44 pm by Thorn »

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2007, 01:50:54 pm »
v0.74 is here. It's nothing but a few slight changes to layouts and an extra music track or two added.

However, I wanted to release a "bug fixxed" version like this because I want to formalize the TA duels in this that are frequently held in #TUSC. I want to see .giz files of a complete run through the game, as Sonic alone, from New Adventure 1 all the way to the whiteout at the end of Starship. In the spirit of the Blue Master Emerald Challenge, I've worked out a "bonus" system:
  • I'm looking at best combined act times, not real time (so, a 29-second run with 15 seconds of point totals is better than a 30-second run with five seconds of totals, and you can die to redo sections).
  • I'll subtract ten seconds from your time for each exit above the lowermost one that you use (obviously only works in levels with more than one exit). In Robot Factory 1, the exit for which I will award the bonus is inside a wall.
  • If you can't or don't finish a level, or take longer than five minutes, I'm counting your time in it as 5'00, since I've had people tell me that Starship is too difficult.
  • Finish an Act while Heavy, and I'll knock 30 seconds off of your time.
I suppose I'll do... something for the best TAer. I've got a thought in mind. This pseudo-contest starts today and ends whenever the hell I feel like calling it closed... probably between Thursday and Saturday sometime; it'll be whenever I think I won't receive any more runs.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 02:30:03 pm by Thorn »

Offline Bilan

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2007, 02:49:52 pm »
Details of prize ok >_>

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2007, 08:01:07 am »
v0.74 is here. It's nothing but a few slight changes to layouts and an extra music track or two added.

However, I wanted to release a "bug fixxed" version like this because I want to formalize the TA duels in this that are frequently held in #TUSC. I want to see .giz files of a complete run through the game, as Sonic alone, from New Adventure 1 all the way to the whiteout at the end of Starship. In the spirit of the Blue Master Emerald Challenge, I've worked out a "bonus" system:
  • I'm looking at best combined act times, not real time (so, a 29-second run with 15 seconds of point totals is better than a 30-second run with five seconds of totals, and you can die to redo sections).
  • I'll subtract ten seconds from your time for each exit above the lowermost one that you use (obviously only works in levels with more than one exit). In Robot Factory 1, the exit for which I will award the bonus is inside a wall.
  • If you can't or don't finish a level, or take longer than five minutes, I'm counting your time in it as 5'00, since I've had people tell me that Starship is too difficult.
  • Finish an Act while Heavy, and I'll knock 30 seconds off of your time.
I suppose I'll do... something for the best TAer. I've got a thought in mind. This pseudo-contest starts today and ends whenever the hell I feel like calling it closed... probably between Thursday and Saturday sometime; it'll be whenever I think I won't receive any more runs.

I shall try... and phail.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2007, 10:39:46 pm »
Meh, here's a so-so run I did before I left for the beach yesterday. The Total Time on this, with bonuses accounted for, is 9'14.

Offline EGGMAN

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2007, 01:43:39 pm »
Grab v0.74 here.

i cannot download it :-(

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2007, 04:26:49 pm »
Hm, I'm not having a problem, nor has anybody else.

I click the link, and I see in the upper-right, "Please enter XYZ here". I enter XYZ, click the button, and in about a minute, the site gives me a download link.

Anybody else having problems?

Offline Bilan

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
I think its a case of PEBKAC.

Thorn EDIT: Seems like it. Error ID 10T, you think?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:50:52 pm by Thorn »

Offline EGGMAN

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2007, 07:30:53 am »
Hm, I'm not having a problem, nor has anybody else.

I click the link, and I see in the upper-right, "Please enter XYZ here". I enter XYZ, click the button, and in about a minute, the site gives me a download link.

Anybody else having problems?

thanks^^

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2007, 01:04:25 pm »
just a little input from me...it might not change anything.

to me, the level design (which I cant belive I'm saying this) is too simple right now.  I dont know if your still fine tuning them or not, but the only 1 thats giving a challenge is the robot factory.  Still, they are fun and I haven't ran into any problems speeding along stages.  Also I like where the hidden palace stage (forgot the name) is going so I hope that finished up nicely.

When playing as Tails, whats the purpose of the blue arrow box? (it slows you down)  I can see just for being an obstacle, but the item doesn't even wear off and I see no purpose in using it to your advantage.  It messed me up on some stages because I couldn't get out of certain areas. 

Music wise....I like it better than the last version I played.  1 thing though, you ever think about listening to some other games that people might suggest?  The Streets of Rage series, Aero the Acrobat (a personal fav), and a little known title by the name of Pulseman (it has some good music).  Just a suggestion if your interested, but like I said the music is fine by me.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2007, 04:49:32 pm »
ShadowJacky, let me point you out to this.

The problem was finding a way to flaunt my lil' find without looking like an "idea thief" (hackers seem really possessive anymore... not saying SMTP is, but others might say I ripped it from him).

So I came up with a lil' system that I hope makes it seem a bit more original:

The items have been labeled as "Heavy" and "Light", although really I can't modify the character's weights. Light will speed you up drastically and give you a fair bit of control (relative to your speed, of course). Heavy will make it neigh impossible to walk, so you'll have to make like Sonic Labyrinth and spindash around; dont' trigger the speedcap once you get that speed. ;) Of course, it doesn't take a physicist to tell you that it's a bit harder to stop with your increased weight. The items have been set to last for about 18 minutes and 13 seconds (the maximum I could), so unless you're using Debug, they only wear off when you die, finish the act, or strike the opposite item. I've set the items in places where I feel that you are being rewarded for going out of your way even in the slightest, or "punished" for recklessly plowing through lines of items before learning the course (not counting the demo pair at the start of New Adventure 1).

This is not without its share of bugs, I'm sure. The music speeds up / slows down dependant on the music setup and regardless of the item, which occured in Megamix and SMTP too. If there are any spots that are impossible due to becoming heavy at the wrong place, please show me with screens or a .giz, although good spindashing and jumping should get you through 99.9% of the time.

EDIT: A comment from RPG on his playing during an MSN conversation:
"I keep thinking ^ = lolfast :(, but really ^ = lolfatass."
Iono, I thought he was clever ;)
Hi

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2007, 06:14:14 pm »
:/

I'm not going to read through pages just for 1 answer >_>

*shot*
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Tweaker

• The Original Badass.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • The Sonic Tweaker
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2007, 12:19:29 am »
CNZ was AWESOME. Totally unexpected, I love the loop designs.

You weren't kidding about that speed. I think it actually works here, as the levels are better designed for it.

The music ports need serious work, though. I'll help you out there, if you want.
Emeralds:

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2007, 12:47:11 am »
HOLY SHIT, I just got a compliment from Tweaker... I didn't know that he still posted on the forums.

Anyway, I'll take any help I can get on the music. I haven't tried what you told me in IRC yet, because I don't plan on adding too much more. I still have six more acts to build first, and I plan to extend one or two existing acts.

It's 12:45 am here, and I'm in my bed posting via PSP. So I'll shut up now, and find you in chat another time.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2007, 07:32:22 pm »
Double post here, becuse it's been almost a day since the last one, and I have a small update.

• Palletes: Every level palette has been redone. Simple as that.

Yup. Every palette, even the garbled Catwalk (which hasn't been touched in a long time) and Deep Forest palettes.

Remember, kids, Groudon has no idea what he's talking about. Srsly.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2007, 12:25:49 am »
Whoa, triple post, for another update. I let my inner n00b out, or something. Here's v0.78. Two more modified acts for your playing pleasure.

Also, since I finally made an act that depends on each character's abilities, I should make it known how to use Sonic's speed to the best. I'm sure you've seen some ridiculously steep slopes in Twilight Cove and Robot Factory... if you jump at those with either character at a very shallow angle, you'll stick to it and begin running upwards. However, only Sonic has the drive to power all the way up the slopes to the tops (pro tip: this even works upside down, and you can transfer it to rightside up if you really wanna get fancy :P). I've had some 1UPs hidden in Twilight Cove 1 this way for ages, but with a modification to Robot Factory 3, this move is now essential for Sonic to finish the game. So please don't find me in #TUSC and say "I'm stuck", then describe a location like this. >_>

EDIT: Also, since a new version has been released, the TA "contest" is kinda cancelled. *cries*
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:26:34 pm by Thorn »

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2007, 07:01:05 pm »
Quadruple post. I am SO dead. I figure I should let my ten-person fan base know where this hack stands with a two-month update.

I have Sonic Turbo v1.0 ready for release. Those of you who hung with me in chat already have something I called v1.0, but since I never really got to make an official release, I tacked onto it and maintain the same version number. Art changes are more frequent now, mostly taken from the SCAA due to being goaded by the SCAA admins. The sound driver is pretty much finalized. And what's more, I'm also working on a second hack along with the SCAA admins. It hasn't even gotten off the ground yet, but you can bet that when it gets started I'll be making another topic here. :P

Remember that just because I hit v1.0 doesn't mean I won't tweak Sonic Turbo anymore... it just means that I'll spend more time on the other hack.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 03:11:32 pm by Thorn »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2007, 11:53:26 am »
Bad Thorn.

Also needs a non-MU link. Because MU fails. I tried to download that last night and Firefox proceeded to explode.

During a Free Bird solo I might add, which sucks since it was playing through FoxyTunes. >_>

Offline Bilan

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2007, 06:32:56 pm »
So it was Thorns hack that interupted Free Bird!?
* Hayley deletes charts >_________>

Offline Muzozavr

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2008, 02:35:55 pm »
I'm sorry that I'm bumping up this thread again, but I downloaded your hack (1.0 I presume, I downloaded from the Sonic Retro community) and in need of some help on Final Factory Zone.
I come to the rings that make a left arrow, and after them there's a huge bottomless pit. I then try to come back, but what? Nothing but a straight route that leads to this place.
I simply can't find how to get out of that compartment.
Help?
Proud to discover a new glitch on Sandopolis 1 as Tails

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2008, 03:57:27 pm »
Bumping a thread on a board of five topics isn't a big deal. X)

I've gotten this question a lot. Walk to the edge, then turn around and use the slope under the arrow to jump up to a ledge to the upper-left. It kind of blows my mind that people find out how to get out of the pit at the start of Robot Factory 3, but the arrow confuses people to no end. :P

Also I have another hack on the way soon.

Print

Hits: 830 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.30 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.