don't click here

1st impressions of Sonic Rush Adventure

Print

Author Topic: 1st impressions of Sonic Rush Adventure  (Read 23829 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
1st impressions of Sonic Rush Adventure
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:45:32 pm »
The first impressions of SRA are up at ign and gamespot. From what I read, they both were pleased with how the game has turned out so far. It's basically the same thing as Rush, but with some more 3D stuff added. The new 3D stuff is merely cosmetic so far (Sonic being blasted towards the screen), but as long as there are no camera murders or increased amount of bugs (typical flaw in 3D), this is a good thing. There is a new island exploring mini game. Its purpose is to find new levels and be a general diversion that you can mess around with.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/787/787439p1.html
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline P.P.A.

Re: 1st impressions of Sonic Rush Adventure
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:22:38 pm »

Seriously, I don't really care about this game. I haven't played Rush, so maybe I'm wrong. But I don't expect this game to actually add something to the series. Or more important, to give something back. Alright, it will have all sorts of fancy features and 3D effects and blah, but  when looking at those screens are reading the preview, there's something missing. Something... Sonic. :(
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:25:42 pm »
Seriously, I don't really care about this game. I haven't played Rush, so maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, you are.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 02:45:27 pm »
Best gif ever
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:47:21 pm »
That's what she said.

(Actually the above post was just an excuse to use it. >_>)

Offline eggFL

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:51:27 pm »
imo Rush is bad. And it seems this game plays just like it. But then again I don't trust IGN either way.

Also, gotta like how they plug their Sonic Rush rating in the post.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:06:13 pm »
-You're missing out on a great (and probably still easy to find) game PPA. SRush is in general, well liked by fans and critics. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/sonicrush?q=Sonic%20Rush I'd say its one of the better 2D Sonics out there. From what I've read on both first impressions, any doubts about SRA that I might of had (asides from Egg Man being demoted to the role of "washed up Mid-Boss") have been removed. Then again, I have no doubts about Mario & Sonic at the Olympics being a good game because Shigeru Miyamoto is supervising it (look at his track record and reputation for high quality that sometimes causes a game to be delayed).

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:28:02 pm »
Rush is great and anyone who never gave the game a chance is an idiot.

Anyway, the new level in the screenshots seems interesting enough. Blaze's return was inevitable, though I'm hoping they use the Blaze portrayed in Sonic Rush and not the Blaze portrayed in Sonic 06... Still, it means they don't really want to change that much from the previous game by the looks of things, and that's good enough for me to look forward to. Still, I can't shake the feeling that this game may not turn out well, knowing Sega...

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:59:27 pm »
It seems like it'll turn out okay.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline eggFL

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 07:50:55 pm »
Blaze's return was inevitable, though I'm hoping they use the Blaze portrayed in Sonic Rush and not the Blaze portrayed in Sonic 06...

I disagree because the whole forced/emo/"im-afraid-of-heights" bit was a little overboard in my opinion. I'm glad Sonic06 retconned it, personally. And the way I see it, Sonic06 Blaze is the same anyway only she didnt lash out because the story wasnt about her, oh and since she is with Silver. Silver + Blaze always beats out any other version anyway.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 07:59:24 am »
Rofl Blaze had like no personality in Sonic 06.

Just like everybody else.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:54:07 am »
Best gif ever

Amen.

As for SRA...well....I'm not sure what I think. Rush for me felt like I was rust holding right the whole time. There was very little platforming in it, which was disappointing. I'm a fan of speed and all, but I'm also a fan of the complex level design and awesome platforming elements of MD-era Sonics. As for competition I really don't like Rush. It feels convoluted and overcomplicated with boosting and the numerous other mechanics, and that combined with what was only mediocre level design IMO is a pretty big turn off for me. I'll probably gen SRA just for playing purposes, and maybe post my times and scores just for the hell of it, like I did with Rush.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 12:19:44 pm »
Rush is great and anyone who never gave the game a chance is an idiot.

It's not like I don't want to play/buy it. I certainly will sometime, I just haven't had the chance or if I had, I spent my money on other games.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 04:21:37 pm »
And the way I see it, Sonic06 Blaze is the same anyway only she didnt lash out because the story wasnt about her, oh and since she is with Silver. Silver + Blaze always beats out any other version anyway.

"YES WELL SHE LOOKS LIKE BLAZE AND THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF SHE DOESN'T DO CRAP AND THE GAME KILLS HER AT THE END LIKE SHE'S A TOSSAWAY CHARACTER WITH A PLOTHOLE INCLUDED, AND TAKEN FROM HER POSITION AS ALMIGHTY QUEEN OF WHATEVER SHE QUEENS AND FORCED INTO SOME SIDEKICK ROLE OF SOME CHARACTER NOBODY GAVE A CRAP ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE BY ERASING ALL OF HER ESTABLISHED CHARACTER, ALL WHILE SHE JUST SITS THERE AND TWIDDLES HER THUMBS THE WHOLE GAME WONDERING WHERE SILVER IS. SHES STILL THE SAME EXACT BLAZE EVERYONE KNEW FROM SONIC RUSH AND THANKS TO SONIC 06 WE GET TO HAVE THIS AMAZING NEW THING CALLED SILVER X BLAZE SHIPPING, AND IT IS AWESOME BECAUSE OH, YOU KNOW, ITS SHIPPING! EVERYONE LOVES SHIPPING HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

I'm sorry, am I reading this correctly?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 04:57:33 pm »
And the way I see it, Sonic06 Blaze is the same anyway only she didnt lash out because the story wasnt about her, oh and since she is with Silver. Silver + Blaze always beats out any other version anyway.

"YES WELL SHE LOOKS LIKE BLAZE AND THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF SHE DOESN'T DO CRAP AND THE GAME KILLS HER AT THE END LIKE SHE'S A TOSSAWAY CHARACTER WITH A PLOTHOLE INCLUDED, AND TAKEN FROM HER POSITION AS ALMIGHTY QUEEN OF WHATEVER SHE QUEENS AND FORCED INTO SOME SIDEKICK ROLE OF SOME CHARACTER NOBODY GAVE A CRAP ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE BY ERASING ALL OF HER ESTABLISHED CHARACTER, ALL WHILE SHE JUST SITS THERE AND TWIDDLES HER THUMBS THE WHOLE GAME WONDERING WHERE SILVER IS. SHES STILL THE SAME EXACT BLAZE EVERYONE KNEW FROM SONIC RUSH AND THANKS TO SONIC 06 WE GET TO HAVE THIS AMAZING NEW THING CALLED SILVER X BLAZE SHIPPING, AND IT IS AWESOME BECAUSE OH, YOU KNOW, ITS SHIPPING! EVERYONE LOVES SHIPPING HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

I'm sorry, am I reading this correctly?

That is SO almost a candidate for best response ever.

All it needed was a "AND IM SORRY YOUR MOM GOT SCARED AND SHE MOVED YOU IN WITH YOUR AUNTIE AND UNCLE IN BELL AIR" tagged onto the end :(
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 06:04:24 pm »
Silver is a much better character than Blaze was in the first place. Furthermore, Blaze's role as Silver's sidekick and her sacrifice meant a lot more, in itself and in the scope of the story, and was more effective, than the one-dimensional and overly forced complex of hers which was exploited in Sonic Rush as the only story point in that game.

Finally, Sonic06 Blaze isn't necessarily dead neither is she free from any lovable character flaws.

All it needed was a "AND IM SORRY YOUR MOM GOT SCARED AND SHE MOVED YOU IN WITH YOUR AUNTIE AND UNCLE IN BELL AIR" tagged onto the end :(

Yea, but that would have lightened the tone of the post, reducing some of the aggression intended directly at me.

It would have went against SO many schools of forum posting.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 06:29:14 pm »
Wait, what?

Silver better than Blaze? HOW!?  All SIlver is is a recolored Shadow, which in turn is a recolored Sonic, his personality screams of angst that most kids don't even dream of, he spends the entire game moping about doing pretty much nothing.  His character doesn't even PLAY like a Sonic character should, instead of using his psychic abilities to move faster and clear levels faster, he tiptoes around aimlessly and forces you to try to "enjoy" moving a bunch of barrels and crates around.  Not my idea of fun, nor my idea of a good character.

Let's look at what makes him different from Shadow.

- He's younger
- He's white
- He's..uh..well, he...he's more vocal about his angst at least.

He's just not a very good character. His personality is boring, his design is crap, and his gameplay is even worse.

he's like shadow with aids, basically.

Blaze at least has a personality that's not boring, doesn't get too caught up in angst, and actually has pretty interesting abilities, which makes playing as her more interesting. (Well, not so much in STH 06, but playing as any character in STH 06 is pretty horrible)

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 07:33:10 pm »
-We can only hope that SRA uses the SRush Blaze. She had A LOT more character development than Sth06 Blaze. High character development is why I like Shadow more than Sonic. He has more character development in 2 games than most of the cast, Sonic included, does in the entire series. His angst pretty much goes away after ShtH (after the death of the being partly responsible for the events that triggered it), leaving him as a sort of serious, grim type of hero (like Alucard or FF4 Cecil). Speaking of 06, it was just a generic lousy, rushed, glitch infested pos with nice cinematics. (Graphics should have very little weight on the opinion of a serious gamer in terms of a game's quality.) Asides from Silver being a Trunks wannabe, on the bright side, he had the best controls of the 3 main characters (Sonic's gameplay was the worst offender in terms of control problems).

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 07:57:20 pm »
Silver is a much better character than Blaze was in the first place. Furthermore, Blaze's role as Silver's sidekick and her sacrifice meant a lot more, in itself and in the scope of the story, and was more effective, than the one-dimensional and overly forced complex of hers which was exploited in Sonic Rush as the only story point in that game.

Finally, Sonic06 Blaze isn't necessarily dead neither is she free from any lovable character flaws.
Hmm.

So you agree now that Blaze is a different character in Sonic 06. That is the only obvious conclusion I can come to after reading this and wondering how this combats the actual point of my post.

I am not going to say who's a better character because that is simply opinion and anyone can lob the "__ IS BETTER THAN __" grenade.  However, I can argue that Blaze's role as a sidekick was infact pointless and her "sacrifice" was infact meanlingless. Lets analyze:

First, her role as a sidekick. Lets see, what does she actually do as a sidekick? How does she actually help Silver?

Hmm... aside from "OH MAN SILVER FAKE CHAOS IBLIS IS ATTACKING," nothing really comes to mind... OH RIGHT. Her "sacrifice."

Lets see. She seals Iblis in her while she goes and disappears for the rest of the game in order to stop Iblis and seal it away. So after she does a whole lot of nothing for the entire game, I'm suddenly supposed to care about a "minor character" losing her existence completely. Pointless. There's also the part where Iblis joined with Mephiles later on anyway, a complete go-around when it comes to Blaze's "sacrifice," which basically renders what she did meaningless for the story since there's still Solaris eating the universe. It's a pretty lame attempt at an epic story element.

I see no reason why this is at all "better" than how she was presented in Sonic Rush. She was actually something in Sonic Rush - a queen who does not trust others easily because of how she was treated in the past. Who is she in Sonic 06? "Silver's sidekick." Wow. People can sure relate to that. Not saying you can of course, seeing as you've already demonstrated your hatred of anything to do with Rush, which leads me to this:

Why are you posting in this topic? Sonic Rush obviously has no value to you whatsoever. You're basically just here saying "lol rush sux and sonic 06 is cool." In other words, you're being just another annoying Sonic fan that practically schemes to have a conflicting opinion with as many people as possible. Is that why you're posting here?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 10:15:16 pm »
>snip<

Hi. Welcome to TSC. =|

So you agree now that Blaze is a different character in Sonic 06. That is the only obvious conclusion I can come to after reading this and wondering how this combats the actual point of my post.

But I think a lot of the difference between the two versions is a matter of context. Sonic06 just wasn't Blaze's spotlight. Going into it more, the Sonic06 Blaze may just as well be the Rush Blaze but with Silver as a security blanket. Quite literally an alternative timeline of the same person.

But that's what makes Sonic06 Blaze so remarkable. What I believe is inferred in Sonic06 is that Blaze basically needs Silver, without him she would have been miserable. It's as if a parallel to the events of Rush happened within their own timeline, prior to them meeting Mephiles in the events of Sonic06.

First, her role as a sidekick. Lets see, what does she actually do as a sidekick? How does she actually help Silver?

The question is, how does Silver help Blaze? I believe they have balanced each other's personalities over time. Blaze seems to be his only friend, likewise, without Silver, Blaze might have become miserable, stranded, or worse, because of the nature of her powers. (which is the basis of her being an outcast as described in her Sonic06 character bio)

Besides, Blaze was there to pep Silver after Amy tore him out.

Lets see. She seals Iblis in her while she goes and disappears for the rest of the game in order to stop Iblis and seal it away. So after she does a whole lot of nothing for the entire game, I'm suddenly supposed to care about a "minor character" losing her existence completely. Pointless.

Like I said, the weight of their relationship was inferred throughout the entire game. The way Blaze follows him around all the time (and only thinks about him when they're seperated), as well as the post-Amy pep talk.

But most significantly, Silver's speech at the end alone justified the final scene.

There's also the part where Iblis joined with Mephiles later on anyway, a complete go-around when it comes to Blaze's "sacrifice," which basically renders what she did meaningless for the story since there's still Solaris eating the universe. It's a pretty lame attempt at an epic story element.

The Last Story sucks anyway, for a lot of reasons. Furthermore, it's just typical of the Last Story in Sonic games. Sonic defeats Eggman in Final Egg for no gain in SA1. Sonic beats Shadow and destroys the cannon when it soon threatens to destroy the planet anyway. And Sonic defeats Egg Emperor and has a mushy ending after the storm clears on the deck of the final airship and gets chased by Amy just to, oh wait, we gotta defeat Metal Sonic first.

Besides, Silver's ending happen back in the future. Mephiles transforms in the present. Mephiles wins I'm afraid. v_v

I see no reason why this is at all "better" than how she was presented in Sonic Rush. She was actually something in Sonic Rush - a queen who does not trust others easily because of how she was treated in the past. Who is she in Sonic 06? "Silver's sidekick." Wow. People can sure relate to that. Not saying you can of course, seeing as you've already demonstrated your hatred of anything to do with Rush, which leads me to this:

Why are you posting in this topic? Sonic Rush obviously has no value to you whatsoever. You're basically just here saying "lol rush sux and sonic 06 is cool." In other words, you're being just another annoying Sonic fan that practically schemes to have a conflicting opinion with as many people as possible. Is that why you're posting here?

Hey I don't hate everything to do with Rush. It's the only handheld Sonic with graphics I like. And I liked the story a lot... until I got near the end and it turned into a fiasco in my opinion.

Are you saying I'm trolling? I'd say I'm not, because I thought I was being careful. For instance, my first post was justified after PPA's first post in this thread. Second post I was just saying my opinion since someone brought up the subject. Then SkyLights called me out and I have yet remained my cool even since.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 10:38:47 pm »
It's the only handheld Sonic with graphics I like.
How important are graphics to you in terms of opinion of game quality (in terms of % weight)? Do games have to have a specific type of graphics to be considered good graphics to you? There is a difference between artistic graphics and technical graphics. It is possible for a game to have dated technical graphics yet have real nice artistic graphics (I can think of one game like that off the bat).

Offline F-Man

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 12:17:17 am »
Lets see. She seals Iblis in her while she goes and disappears for the rest of the game in order to stop Iblis and seal it away. So after she does a whole lot of nothing for the entire game, I'm suddenly supposed to care about a "minor character" losing her existence completely. Pointless. There's also the part where Iblis joined with Mephiles later on anyway, a complete go-around when it comes to Blaze's "sacrifice," which basically renders what she did meaningless for the story since there's still Solaris eating the universe. It's a pretty lame attempt at an epic story element.
She sealed Iblis in the future. That didn't change the present. I also doubt she lost her existence. She moved to another dimension, which kinda rings Sonic Rush's bell, no? Despite whatever people might say about where that game goes in the storyline, it is irrelevant, because time does not necessarily flow simultaneously from one dimension to another. The whole game's cancellation at the end may just as well not change her fate, since she's not in the same dimension anymore.

Other than that, lol yea egg's a dumbass and such.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 05:55:02 am »
How important are graphics to you in terms of opinion of game quality (in terms of % weight)? Do games have to have a specific type of graphics to be considered good graphics to you? There is a difference between artistic graphics and technical graphics. It is possible for a game to have dated technical graphics yet have real nice artistic graphics (I can think of one game like that off the bat).

I definitely agree.

Anyway, how important graphics are (either stylistically or technically) depend on the game. But the general answer for me and many others (I'd say most gamers, with many of the 'serious' ones included) is that they matter more than the extent elitists tend to admit they do.

Other than that, lol yea egg's a dumbass and such.

Wait, so I have a different opinion, and that makes me a dumbass?

Well nevermind. I mean you couldn't just end that post /without/ calling me a dumbass. Then it'd appear flagrantly as if you are on my side, and we cant have that now can we? Because then you wouldn't be cool anymore. =0

But you know, that's ok. I can understand.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 07:51:53 pm »
Well nevermind. I mean you couldn't just end that post /without/ calling me a dumbass. Then it'd appear flagrantly as if you are on my side, and we cant have that now can we? Because then you wouldn't be cool anymore. =0

But you know, that's ok. I can understand.
Dude, what, I'm totally on your side.

How about we hang out later and talk about how awesome Silver is and quantum physics in Sonic games?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 06:35:48 pm »
ok    XD

Print

Hits: 192 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.