don't click here

Should we add Brawl? [UPDATE: no]

Poll

Should we add Brawl?

Yes. The game is bloody awesome.
3 (8.8%)
Sure, it somehow is vaguely related to Sonic. Maybe it counts?
1 (2.9%)
Of course, it'll make TSC awesome again.
2 (5.9%)
Yes, for other reasons (explain plz)
0 (0%)
No, there's already a site that does it better. (link plz)
0 (0%)
No, it will hurt TSC.
0 (0%)
Er, what? That makes no sense.
6 (17.6%)
No, it sucks.
1 (2.9%)
No, for other reasons (explain plz)
2 (5.9%)
Somewhat - there should be a Smash subsite
19 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: March 21, 2008, 08:28:54 pm

Print

Author Topic: Should we add Brawl? [UPDATE: no]  (Read 73266 times)

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: Should we add Brawl?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 12:24:58 am »
I constructed a protochart for Brawl, with a layout based on everything discussed so far. Most categories have 3 divisions: 'total', 'best', 'character specific'. The 'total' division is an aggregation of your time/score/kills for all characters on a chart, and will be weighted. The 'best' division is the best submission for a given chart, regardless of character used, also weighted. The 'character specific' division ranks the best submission for a certain character on the chart without weighting, and was so named over 35 rows per chart to save space; similarly, I did not list each event's number. As discussed earlier, there should be incentive to submit for multiple characters, but no major penalty for not doing so; I feel that a ranked total of unranked parts is the best way to do this. In the event of time based charts, a total will only be compiled for players with at least one submission for each character in that chart. I erred on the side of caution and included everything vaguely competeable, but I did actually test events and 10 man brawl, which held under scrutiny. Obviously more rigorous testing will be done; this protochart was made more as a model of structure than a final product.

I'll do my best to construct rules tomorrow, but as mentioned earlier in chat, they will be akin to CyberScore's blanket "no cheating" rule-basically, imagining all potential exploits, and banning them on the spot before we see tbg 2.0.

The charts themselves:

Classic
Total
Best
Character Specific (35 rows here)

All Star
Total
Best

10-Man Brawl100-Man Brawl3-Minute Brawl15-Minute BrawlEndless BrawlCruel Brawl
Total
Coop
Best
Character Specific(35 rows here)

Boss Battles
Total Time
Best

Home Run Contest
Total Distance
Coop

Level 1Level 2Level 3Level 4Level 5
Total
Coop

EasyNormalHard
Solo
Total (Time)
Total (Score)
(41 rows here-all single player events are competition worthy)
Coop
Total (Time)
Total (Score)
(21 rows here-all coop events are competition worthy)

Edit: ignore broken tags and ugly format please :(

Double Edit: I just realized it's not clear that hrc and target test will have weighted character divisions. Well...they're meant to. Oops.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:39:24 am by General Throatstomper »

I HOPE YOU DO

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 07:16:03 pm »
Earlier today with RR, and input from Rolken, I made a tentative draft of Brawl rules-there isn't much to say, but for posterity they've been written up. Honestly, we don't know what wonky tricks people will find for this game, and won't until people start competing heavily. I initially took the approach of banning every conceivable exploit, ranging from magically extending hrc's timer, to somehow lowering the kill count required for a kill-based multiman. On the advice of Rolken, I instead relied on 6 blanket rules under general that will be refined as discoveries are made, so as to avoid confusing people and coming off as insulting their intelligence. You'll see reference to ticking a "conversion box" for home run contest...when Brawl is released in Europe, and if we get competitors with the Japanese version, the results are obviously reported in different units. To avoid user error in conversion, RR got the idea to have the site do it for them, perhaps even autonomously if we allow the player to select their game version.

General
These rules are made more for the prevention of any future gamebreaking exploits becoming the competition standard, as happened with the Team Blast Glitch incident (link goes there), than for any specific glitches known so far. As such, you shouldn't be actively watching to obey these rules so much as not trying to cheat in the first place.

1) The use of any cheating device, including but not limited to those that modify gameplay, or turbo controllers, is banned.

2) For charts with Zelda, Pokemon Trainer, and Samus, any form may be used, and transformations are legal.

3) Both players competing in "coop" charts are allowed to submit the record obtained, and competing in coop charts over Nintendo WFC is permitted.

4) Changing charts or exiting the game mode selected voids your run.

5) Unless otherwise noted, any stock or difficulty can be used for a chart, and the use of continues is permissable.

6) Any glitch or exploit that artificially inflates your score/kill count or reduces your time is banned.

When possible, replays of stats should always be taken. While not required, this streamlines the process of validation where necessary; a replay does not necessarily need to be kept indefinitely.

Most importantly, exercise common sense in competition. If you find any dubious exploits, report them instead of breaking the chart.

A note on character divisions: while tracked, submissions for a specific character's division for a given chart are not weighted for All Star, Classic, Multi-Man Brawls, or Boss Battles. However, the "best" division of a chart is weighted, though not directly competeable, instead culled from the best submission towards that chart by the player, regardless of character. Similarly, a total derived from the sum of a player's character submissions for a chart is weighted, but for charts where time is tracked only calculated if they have competed in every character division.

Home Run Contest
1) You must check the corresponding box for the units reported ingame for your distance.

Any comments?

I HOPE YOU DO

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 08:43:30 pm »
I'm wondering, is Co-Op going to have a different Overall ranking? I'd think that'd only seem fair, as some people can't find a friend or relative, and the button lag on WiFi gives a disadvantage.
Also wondering whether or not Co-Op HRC will be allowed, and if so if there will be 35! charts for it

Offline Rolken

Re: Should we add Brawl? [UPDATE: no]
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2008, 11:51:26 pm »
allisbrawl.com is making 1P rankings on par with TSC and already has a complete system for tournaments and everything else. Plus there was never really much response to my last two posts anyway. So in my view, the window of opportunity has closed, and this project has now ceased to have purpose.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »
This totally wrecked my week. I spent a good 2 hours working on Brawl stuff...though at least we found out early, and didn't waste any more time on this.

I'd say "eh, maybe next time"...but honestly, this was a rare chance to expand and we were outdone, even if another game with so much intrinsic competition value comes along, we'll probably get beat to the punch again. On a manic depressive note, this makes me wonder if other sites could have better tracked Sonic.

I guess we can still be awesome though. I will metaphorically castrate anyone glad that we are not getting involved in ranking smash for the sole cause of it being against "TSC tradition".

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Mo

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2008, 05:49:22 pm »
I don't think so classic mode will be a good idea to add because there's about an eight second lag when you have to fight the Charcter teams and it will drastically affect our scores. 
Shortcuts I have discovered: SSR Skeleton Dome Mission 12 Gate ditch, SA2 Battle: spring dodge.

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2008, 10:40:35 pm »
Read topic before posting.
Super lame, I go back to lurking :(

Offline Mo

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 05:53:06 pm »
I meant if this game gets added on to this site but since it's not getting added on there is no use anymore.
Shortcuts I have discovered: SSR Skeleton Dome Mission 12 Gate ditch, SA2 Battle: spring dodge.

Print

Hits: 251 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.