don't click here

The last straw

Print

Author Topic: The last straw  (Read 14806 times)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
The last straw
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:56:55 am »
So a couple of hours ago I walked into the chatroom to find TSC was down. Further probing showed that Stefan had made a statement about the current position TSC was in (something I have agreed with, and tried to put across, for some time, though Stefan was far more eloquent), and in response Gerbil pulled the site down.

While I would say that this is a slightly extreme response, I don't necessarily disagree with the action taken. It's what happened after that that concerns me.

I tried to calm everyone down and talk through the issues. Stefan had accused Gerbil of not caring for the integrity of the site, and in turn Gerbil had accused Stefan of having no understanding of the work he has to do behind the scenes (which is correct, I have admin powers and I still don't understand). What became apparent over the next ten minutes is that nobody but myself, Stefan and Paraxade (of those active) had any interest in working the issues out.

This is my concern. Every time an issue is brought up, I have tried to get it resolved as quickly as possible. An example I can easily cite is the issue of the rules, which have been problematically worded for some time. Nobody was interested in working through that, either. This isn't the TSC I remember.

If this is our brave new world, where problems are simply left to fester rather than be addressed, then I want no part of it. Yes, I understand there are external demands on our time, but I will not sit idly by and watch our self-destruction. TSC deserves better than this.

And one last important point, because I sincerely hope that something constructive will come of this rather than it being hijacked: Note that I am not talking about what Gerbil does with the coding or anything like that. I am talking about the lack of a conflict resolution process here.

That is all.

EDIT: removed myself from admin position.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:45:54 am by yse »

<3 Thorn.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Re: The last straw
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:22:39 am »
Dangit, why is everything that I'm interested in coming to a screeching halt these days?  :(
I want to point out that I, too, have an interest in working this out, I'm just not on the chatroom much these days (I'm on Wednesday of Finals week, so expect be to be around a bit more often soon).
First, I think, we need to have a good look at what the problems are.  I doubt anyone here ('cept probably mike, 'cuz he's cool like dat) knows all of the problems in detail.  I think we first need to take a look at these before we can come up with a plan of action.  But yeah, I'm willing to put the effort into keeping this going.
Though I honestly think removing yourself from admin status was possibly a bad idea....  I would say you need it more than usual for this.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Psyknux
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
    • The Faec >:O!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:55:54 am »
No, I'm pretty sure a lot of us know what the issues are, especially those of us who are in the chatroom all the time, but it seems like we're just waiting for someone else to take the initiative to solve them.
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.
Also v2.0 of my TSC calculator is available to use. You should totally use it.
I update these every Monday around 2:30pm GMT.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:10:01 pm »
Well, mike, there's not really much I can say about your rant on who cares for the site to change your opinion. But I will say that the people who did care about the site just aren't around as much anymore; it's not that they still don't care. I don't think I've chatted at the same time as F-man or SM or the like in a long while. I know at the very least that long MSN convos with RPG and I tell you that we give a rat's ass, and I'm assuming you've spoken to other members of the site as well about similar concepts.

I think pulling yourself down from adminning is what we on TSC call "fucking retarded", but you'd know better than I would. It just seems like with SM less active, Rolken playing much less Sonic than before (at least from what I can see), and you gone, Gerbil wields a lot more power than before. And he had a scary amount before, mind you. What needs to happen is that if nobody wants to voice their opinion on a problem, you should just move ahead and exert your own will upon it. You've been around long enough, so it's not like you don't know what's right and wrong. That's pretty much what RPG and I did with TUSC -- before everybody lost interest and it became our personal playground, mind you -- and it worked for TUSC's lifespan. "k your complaint has no grounds, come back when we care, fucktard. Next complaint plz"

...this is just depressing. Would an MSN Trinity conversation cheer you up?
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:55:44 pm »
well frankly even if we do voice our opinions on the matters, we really don't have the power to carry them out.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:01 pm »
That's pretty much what RPG and I did with TUSC -- before everybody lost interest and it became our personal playground, mind you -- and it worked for TUSC's lifespan. "k your complaint has no grounds, come back when we care, fucktard. Next complaint plz"

Well, either that or "Not a problem we can fix, Next complaint plz"
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:59:34 pm by Johan Gasmask »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Parax

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:23:22 pm »
What if we had a new admin handling the deletion of BS stats, rule revisions, etc. with things related to the site coding still being left to Gerbil?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:42:03 pm »
Might I suggest that having one just puts the bottleneck somewhere else?  We should have multiple, and a well defined process for being appointed such - something similar to Prominent Members back in the day.  They should also only be able to make reversible changes in case of malice, stupidity or drunkenness - how feasible is that Gerbil?
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Shadowfan

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 09:13:40 pm »
I say we hold internet court cases where both sides state their respective opinions. We coould have a jury full of wise respectable people that have been on the site for a while(i.e. SJ, SM, GS, Yse, RPG, Doug, Thorn, Rolken). There would have to be an odd number though. The trial lasts for x amount of days. Then the jurers decide. A judge should probably be an administrator though. Then after a while we could always have another trial on the same issue.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:16:02 pm »

As the official TSC Defence Attorney I approve of this notion!

Offline Shadowfan

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:20:27 pm »
 That's one passing vote. Mine makes two. 
Also, I might try being an attorney here eventually. I think I'll wait to gain more wisdom, though.

Offline Parax

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:00:09 pm »
Can we please try to keep this topic serious? We don't need a trial.

Offline Shadowfan

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:05:27 pm »
I am serious. Trials would be a great way for people to settle disputes.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:08 pm »

I agree! It would.

Its just a shame that the majority of people wouldn't want / like the idea in place.

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 10:09:43 pm »
itt there's too much Phoenix Wright. >_>
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 10:12:38 pm »

No, now there's too much Phoenix Wright.
(what, a judge can't show sarcasm?)

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 08:09:39 am »
wise respectable people that have been on the site for a while(i.e. SJ, SM, GS, Yse, RPG, Doug, Thorn, Rolken). There would have to be an
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Print

Hits: 358 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.16 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.