don't click here

PAL in Sonic Triple Trouble Allowed or Not?

Print

Author Topic: PAL in Sonic Triple Trouble Allowed or Not?  (Read 5535 times)

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
PAL in Sonic Triple Trouble Allowed or Not?
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:21:53 pm »
Ok so me and DsS were wondering if PAL is allowed in STT times or not. Since PPA said PAL STT doesn't exist but you can play it at 50fps in fusion. So the question is....is PAL in STT times allowed or not?

Offline Stefan

Re: PAL in Sonic Triple Trouble Allowed or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:26:21 pm »
So you are not playing the PAL version, you are playing a slowed down version? why would we allow "pal" when PAL does not exist? The tactic at hand here is allowing the artificial slowdown of games to get better times, and the correct answer seems to be a clear slap in the face to me.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:51:44 pm »
I agree with Stefan, slowing down a game to 50fps by running it in PAL mode clearly should not be allowed if the game in question doesn't even have a PAL version in the first place.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:09:48 pm »
STT is part of Gems Collection for GC and PS2, as well as SA:DX for GC.  UK versions of such should be PAL, no?

Artificial slowdown is epic fail, however.  This does lead me on to a question - what if your PC lags when you're emulating a game?  Is that "slowdown"?  Do people without 1337 rigs like mine need a swift dose of banhammer?  Okay okay the last one was flippant - sue me, it's what I do.  Actually given the Phoenix Wright fad, don't sue me kplz, we don't need another train wreck thread <_< >_>

* douglas waits for inevitable "Objection!" image
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline eredani

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 01:49:02 pm »
If what PPA said about a PAL version not existing of STT is true then I don't see any good reason for it to be allowed, for self-evident reasons. Though, could you elaborate on how you know this for sure, PPA? But the GG/SMS emulator Dega (which is the one I've been using) seems to support the claim since the PAL option is greyed out when STT is loaded. So, I agree with the others. And for the record, since I've heard from Stefan that Bertin baselessly claimed that I have used PAL mode for my STT times (and further that this was his 'justification' to do so himself), I only played STT in NTSC mode when I got my records.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:54:07 pm by eredani »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:54:20 pm »
I'm not 100% sure since I don't possess a Game Gear, but in every other case I know there are no PAL/NTSC differences on any handheld (because they have their own unique screens and run independently of power sockets). (I'm not entirely sure about this, anyone with a Game Gear or GerbilSoft with his technical knowledge please reply.)
So since there never was a 50hz version in the original game, forcing it to run slower on an emulator seems like cheating to me.

Also if I'm not too lazy I'll play some SADX in 50hz and 60hz mode and see if there are differences.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline eredani

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:04:20 pm »
Yeah, I thought that way too, but it's confusing how some emulators manage to screw with that in GG games (Emukon, Fusion). So, clearly this means that only SMS games have any natural NTSC/PAL differences. And the differences in the emulated GG versions stem from the fact that those emulators are programmed to work in the same manner with both platforms indiscriminately... even when it comes to PAL/NTSC.

Print

Hits: 839 | Hits This Month: 7 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.03 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.