don't click here

Unleashed in Play Magazine

Print

Author Topic: Unleashed in Play Magazine  (Read 8021 times)

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Unleashed in Play Magazine
« on: May 11, 2008, 08:44:23 am »
OK, so I know the Sonic Unleashed article in ONM/NOM (don't ask) didn't have any new information.  Well, I was flipping through Play Magazine in the local Borders and they had a couple of interviews, one with the director and another with one of SoA's higher ups (I want to say producer but I don't remember for sure).  There was some info there that I hadn't heard/seen, so I figured I'd relay it along.
Oh yeah, and allow me to remind you that this is Play Magazine.  I.E., the magazine that initially gave Silver the Hedgehog 9.5/10.  And these interviews were, by the tone of them, done by the same reviewer that gave Silver such glowing reviews.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

* In my eyes, the biggest piece of new information: reportedly, the one problem with past games that Sonic Team has been focusing the most on?  Removing cheap deaths from falling down bottomless pits.  Finally.  Also, second on their list of problems-to-fix was loading times; apparently Sonic Team spent a lot of time fixing those.  I take it a few lessons were learned from Silver the Hedgehog.

* Some of the levels will be at LEAST six miles long, so long that the levels will actually dynamically load while playing.  Why?  Because that's even too much for the PS3 and X360 available memory to handle.  Though, if you consider Sonic's supposed top speed, that should take - just over 28 seconds.  I dare SM to try THAT one.

* There will be hub areas.  Though the director promised that there would be few annoying NPCs to talk to.  These were emphasized to be more Sonic-like free roaming than past incarnations of the game.

* New abilities will be found with items in the stages.  Odd, because even though this has been done multiple times in the series, they will be in the stages themselves, not in the hubs.  Such abilities include a "Sonic Boost" (sounds similar to Speed Break/Chaos Control, he even said it has separate music - boo, Hero-type music is never as good as level music) and a wall-jump.

* The stages in the Wii version will be different enough from the PS3 and X360 versions (as the Wii levels will be designed by Dimps) that Sega is expecting a few people to even go to the point of purchasing both the Wii and one of the other versions to see the differences.  Expecting it, not banking on it.  (Come on, even Sega isn't that stupid.)

* Silver WILL. NOT. be in this game (because the Play reviewer was practically begging for it <_<).  The director seemed to suggest that there would be few other characters in the game, but also mentioned the need for Sonic Team to create new, interesting, and compelling charas.  Right.

* The director confirmed that Eggman/Robotnik will not be the final boss, but he also said that Eggman is much more evil in this game, and does something much worse than usual (blowing up the earth, anyone?)

* The music will be done by Tomoya Ohtani (sp?).  Yeah, you can go ahead and act surprised now.  Personally, I think this is good; Ohtani was junk for Billy Hatcher but pretty good otherwise.  Though I am disappointed that Jun Senoue has left the building.

* Images with the article included a more modern city street in gameplay (as compared to the Mediterranean city).  The view was actually from inside a small shop (the window writing was in a foreign Latin-based language but from what I understand was a deli perhaps) looking out through the glass to see Sonic running in the streets.  A few other images of this area were present as well.  There was also a castle/cathedral-like area that also showed Sonic's wall jump.  Finally a concept art of a far-east grove with buildings similar to the Gigan Rocks from Zero Gravity (either Chinese or Japanese and I didn't feel like guessing wrong).

* Finally, not a word was said about the werewolf or time changes, so we're still all in the dark about that.  Also nothing was said about Super Sonic, even though he's already appeared in cutscene screencaps.

Speculating away.  Please no flame wars.  Note the flame barrier as the message icon.  Meaning this topic is protected from flames.  Kthx.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline P.P.A.

Re: Unleashed in Play Magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 08:53:05 am »
Old.
I liked about that interview though that the reviewer was such a Sonic 06 fanboy. I'd disagree on quite a few points (Silver for example) with him and overall find his praise of the game exaggerated, but it's interesting to see how the developer reacts to a person that did not mindlessly shower the game with hatred and actually realised some of the game's greatest bits. So I'd rather have one extreme than the other. >_>
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:27:27 am »
And somehow it still sounds kinda cool :\

It better be cool!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:09:41 pm »
Shit, I just remembered the one interesting point from the NOM article (it did have a developer interview, but nothing interesting was said save this).

When they started on Unleashed, they had Sonic Adventure 3 in mind.

Nice tidbits of info there, though.

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »
@ P.P.A.:  I didn't think this was old; I hadn't heard any of this until reading the article.  It definitely wasn't on here.
The Sonic Adventure 3 thing was mentioned as well, but I thought that was old.  I only pointed out the things that I hadn't heard before the article.
What interests me the most about this is, Sega seems to be putting emphasis on the good aspects of the game, and that it attempts to minimize problems from earlier in the series.  I mean, it's typical for a company to emphasize the good things, but the way that Sonic Team's doing it, they're acknowledging specific problems from games such as Shadow, Silver, and Secret Rings and addressing them exactly.  In other words, they're admitting there's a problem and at least claiming that the focus is removing the problem.  From Sega, this is odd.
My presssioussss....

Offline Azure

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 04:55:51 pm »
This game has a good chance of being... good.

The wall jump seems like a good addition and, if incorporated correctly, could make gameplay a lot more enjoyable (Sonic Heroes did this pretty well with the Triangle Jump).

I just wish that, by some miracle, werewolf Sonic would be replaced with other characters as playable. Playing as Tails and Knux in SA(DX) was like a breath of fresh air after playing hours of Sonic's levels. And didn't they describe werewolf Sonic as "stonger but slower"?

With six mile levels, I'd probably stab someone in a fit of rage if I wasn't able to go Sonic Speed.

But the version differences might require separate charts, no?
There is no way on earth that I can afford to buy a 360 AND a Wii.
Especially after buying another GameCube to pwn SA(DX) once again.

Did they mention anything about a spin dash/light dash?

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56:34 pm »
Actually, quite a few people were frustrated with Triangle Jump; Sonic/Shadow had a tendency to fall of at the most inopportune times.  (Espio, on the other hand, is actually able to latch onto the wall indefinitely, try it yourself.)  The difference here is, Wall Jump is vertical.  I wonder if Brawl had anything to do with that, Sonic can wall jump there too.
There were four or five abilities mentioned, but I don't remember all of them (I was an idiot and didn't actually buy the magazine).  I think either spin dash or light dash was on there, don't remember for sure.
And, shall I mention that SADX is playable on the Wii?  It probably would have been smarter to do things that way.... <_<
My presssioussss....

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:24:33 am »
A second-hand GameCube is very cheap.
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline Azure

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:40:11 am »
And, shall I mention that SADX is playable on the Wii?  It probably would have been smarter to do things that way.... <_<
I'm not sure if I want to buy a Wii though. Considering the lack of games that interest me besides Secret Rings and stuff, it might be better to just get a $30 GameCube.
Maybe if Unleashed looks good enough, I'll change my mind.

Offline Azure

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:04:52 am »
It probably would have been smarter to do things that way.... <_<
Rule #1: I NEVER do things the smart way.

Print

Hits: 214 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.29s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.