don't click here

Doug's challenge of awesome

Print

Author Topic: Doug's challenge of awesome  (Read 14205 times)

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Doug's challenge of awesome
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:25:23 pm »
So I quoted this in the chat, and nobody knew where it was from, and it turns out Google doesn't either.  It's from something of an obsession of mine, so anyone who get's the reference wins a prize (and a good one, as soon as I think of it):

It's time to play a new game - it's called HAVOC!
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Waxwings

Re: Doug's challenge of awesome
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:26:56 pm »
Warhammer 40k, I'm betting.

If you want me to find what constituency said it you're outta luck.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:28:18 pm »
Warhammer 40k, I'm betting.

If you want me to find what constituency said it you're outta luck.
No, although that's a good guess for the obsession hint.  Unfortunately I'm an obsessive type and have many :(
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:16 pm »
That sounds familiar...is this from the episode of "The Avengers" where an army cadet booted out of training school by Steed and a few others takes revenge on the commitee   by constructing giant board games with a basis in the profession of the member in question and he attempts to win at the game before killing them for an egoboost? I remember a line at the end almost exactly like this, right after the ex-cadet loses in a strategy game and blows up a general with an artillery positioned in a corner of the room.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:37:14 pm »
That sounds familiar...is this from the episode of "The Avengers" where an army cadet booted out of training school by Steed and a few others takes revenge on the commitee   by constructing giant board games with a basis in the profession of the member in question and he attempts to win at the game before killing them for an egoboost? I remember a line at the end almost exactly like this, right after the ex-cadet loses in a strategy game and blows up a general with an artillery positioned in a corner of the room.
Err it might be, but that's not the usage I'm referring to in any case (I never watched The Avengers).

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:52:12 am »
One would imagine that if WH40k is a good guess then Warhammer Online or Warhammer Fantasy can't be far behind.

It's not Warmachine because I'd know that. >_>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:11:23 am »
One would imagine that if WH40k is a good guess then Warhammer Online or Warhammer Fantasy can't be far behind.

It's not Games Workshop (or D&D before we get there).  I said it was a good guess because WH40K was in fact an obsession of mine, rather than because the guess was close >_>

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:23 pm »

It's not Games Workshop (or D&D before we get there).  I said it was a good guess because WH40K was in fact an obsession of mine, rather than because the guess was close >_>
I also play WH40k, so I would have thought that the quote would sound like something out of a Chaos guy's mouth. What army do you (or did you) play? I'm currently running a "tread head" (building to 8000 points) Imperial Guard army with Grey Knight allies (usually just a squad of GK Terminators).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 04:45:18 am »

I also play WH40k, so I would have thought that the quote would sound like something out of a Chaos guy's mouth. What army do you (or did you) play? I'm currently running a "tread head" (building to 8000 points) Imperial Guard army with Grey Knight allies (usually just a squad of GK Terminators).
Always with the Terminators.  Back home we played in the ~2500 point range; I was an Ork player with an army basically designed to take out treadheads and space marines (even my Gretchin shield units would have a slaver with tankbustas).  Entertainingly my brother played Blood Angels, so games between us always degenerated into a single giant CC in the centre of the board (he also had a legendarily famous scout unit, that in all the battles he played nobody was ever able to wipe out - goddamn marines >_>).

Protip for playing me: the custom dread with the heavy weapons may look scary, but if you waste all your artillery for a turn trying to kill it, you won't have weakened any of my other scary shit :)  Also don't kill him, I like it when he goes bowling with tanks (did that to a Rhino carrying my brother's Death Squad, he was not pleased).

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 06:24:46 pm »
Now is the perfect time to get back into the game. Orks got a new codex last January (with a whole bunch of new units, some much better looking plastic models and powers such as furious charge as a standard ability along with a point reduction). 5th Edition just came out and has a whole bunch of new balance changes that are hugely welcome to most players (rending got nerfed, skimmers are not as unkillable as they used to be, assauts now auto attack rear armor unless against a walker, no more getting destroyed on a glancing hit, no consolidation into another assault, etc). Blood Angels got a new codex (death company lose upgraded melee weapons but now have rending which makes comboing with a jump pack Chaplain evil). Foundation paints got released last year, which add some new colors for shading, don't need to be watered down, and make red/yellow paints on black primer MUCH less painful to deal with. The inks got rotated out for washes that just got released. They're way more consistent than inks and leave the matte finish the paints do. Chestnut ink and flesh wash are replaced with Ogryn Flesh (also real good with gold colors). Devlan Brown is a brown wash that goes great with any color (good for dirty finishes). My only beef with them is that magenta ink is gone, but thats solved by mixing 1:1 Baal Red with Leviathan Purple (good for people who play Word Bearers). Special rules for games over 3000 points got released last fall including the release of a plastic Bane Blade (I have two, including a conversion project designed to look like a C&C Mammoth Tank. Space Marines are getting a new codex this fall, then Dark Eldar and Space Wolves possibly by the end of the year.

My GK Termies are played as a close combat screen for my Guardsmen. The ones not on the ground arrive via the drop troops doctrine, including 3 assasination squads consisting of 2 mini HQ plasma death squads (with medics) and a team of harderned vets with meltas. My color scheme is inspired by swat team garb with Chaos Black->Battleadaptus Grey armor and Midnight Blue (shade)-> Regal Blue (base) -> Ultramarine blue cloth.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 06:43:50 pm »
including the release of a plastic Bane Blade (I have two, including a conversion project designed to look like a C&C Mammoth Tank)

pix plz

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 04:51:09 pm »
So I feel I should answer the original question of this topic, if anyone's still interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_(game)

The quote is from the very first (1991) version of the game.  The subject of the mild obsession was video board games in general; I used to have a ton, and still get the new Atmosfear DVD ones out of nostalgia.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 06:23:12 pm »
WHAT

I should've known that! But I always play the Zombie version of the game to be fair :(

also Atmosfear is awesome. I should get one of those.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 06:37:19 pm »
Agreed, Atmosfear rocks \m/
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 05:19:08 am »
Wow... I never thought I'd see that again... I remember my parents playing it when I was, like, 3
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Print

Hits: 503 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.