don't click here

Official Sonic Chronicles Discussion Topic.

Print

Author Topic: Official Sonic Chronicles Discussion Topic.  (Read 53930 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Official Sonic Chronicles Discussion Topic.
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:55:09 pm »
To prevent any forum cluttering, let's put every detail we know about the game in this thread (I request a temporary sticky). So far, we know the playable characters are Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, and Cream. That's right, Cream is one of the characters. How you're actually going to beat things up with her is a mystery I'll never know (unless she's the designated medic). Game play seems to be in the vein of Mario and Luigi.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: Official Sonic Chronicles Discussion Topic.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:51:49 pm »
The E3 demo has Diamond Dust 1 Saturn music. The official site has Panic Puppet 1 Saturn music. Go Jacques go. <3

...although admittedly the remade music for DS sounds kind of bad :( I'd've rather heard a toned-down MP3 like Tonny Hawk DS games use...
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Azure

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:34:31 am »
That's right, Cream is one of the characters. How you're actually going to beat things up with her is a mystery I'll never know (unless she's the designated medic).

Don't you remember? She'll just chuck her Chao at the enemies.

Omega, however, might be interesting to play as.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:22 pm »
Just looked at the IGN hands on. Cream is the designated medic, Shadow is good against heavily armored foes (Chaos Spear has the armor piercing property), Big is a tank who dishes out bad status.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:04:25 pm »
Ew human characters. Ew cartoony sound-effects. Ooo fleeing mechanic. Lol Dio Brando.

That's all I'm saying.

Offline Azure

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 08:41:45 pm »
I've done a little research, and I'm starting to doubt that a good Sonic RPG is possible. Maybe a good game as an RPG, but not as a Sonic game. Sonic games must contain at least 50% speed to be good.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »
I have zero interest in Sonic Chronicles and its white bordered Sonic X artwork.
I've gotta say this is my largest turn-off of the game, as well. With a team of amazing artists and access to plenty of 3D resources, couldn't Bioware have done better than recycling Sonic X artwork and images? That's pure laziness right there.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Cream147

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 07:00:52 pm »
I've done a little research, and I'm starting to doubt that a good Sonic RPG is possible. Maybe a good game as an RPG, but not as a Sonic game. Sonic games must contain at least 50% speed to be good.

This game is Sonic by name, not by nature. It will be a typical RPG, with changed sprites, maps, and storylines to fit in with the Sonic universe. At least, that's the impression I'm getting off of it. I will not be buying it, that's for sure.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 07:24:13 pm »

This game is Sonic by name, not by nature. It will be a typical RPG, with changed sprites, maps, and storylines to fit in with the Sonic universe. At least, that's the impression I'm getting off of it. I will not be buying it, that's for sure.
It's not a Sonic game as you mean it though; it's a spinoff.  The point of spinoffs is to put characters from a series into different gameplay settings.  Mario Kart may not have been a 'true' Mario game - does that hinder it?  No.  Why?  Because it doesn't claim to be, it's treatment of the characters is right, it integrates elements of Mario games (shells etc) in an appropriate way, and it's a damn good game in it's own right.

Do I worry this will be a generic RPG with Sonic slapped on for no particular reason other than branding?  Yes.  Do I think it's important that elements of other Sonic games are tightly integrated to stop that?  Yes.  Is speed one of those things?  Possibly; there are plenty of others (rings, spindash, etc).  Do I worry that it won't be a true Sonic game if the gameplay isn't fast and actiony?  No, because it isn't claiming to be.

All I ask is that it be a good game in its own right.

Also, given Sonic's recent/upcoming outings, surely to be a good Sonic game it should contain at least 50% broken cameras, exotic weaponry and stretchy-armed werehogs? (the other 50% being loading screens, obviously >_>).
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 05:53:05 am »
I STILL DON'T EVEN IF YOU DELETE MY POST, MYSTERIOUS MOD
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Cream147

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:55 am »

It's not a Sonic game as you mean it though; it's a spinoff.  The point of spinoffs is to put characters from a series into different gameplay settings.  Mario Kart may not have been a 'true' Mario game - does that hinder it?  No.  Why?  Because it doesn't claim to be, it's treatment of the characters is right, it integrates elements of Mario games (shells etc) in an appropriate way, and it's a damn good game in it's own right.

Do I worry this will be a generic RPG with Sonic slapped on for no particular reason other than branding?  Yes.  Do I think it's important that elements of other Sonic games are tightly integrated to stop that?  Yes.  Is speed one of those things?  Possibly; there are plenty of others (rings, spindash, etc).  Do I worry that it won't be a true Sonic game if the gameplay isn't fast and actiony?  No, because it isn't claiming to be.

Also, given Sonic's recent/upcoming outings, surely to be a good Sonic game it should contain at least 50% broken cameras, exotic weaponry and stretchy-armed werehogs? (the other 50% being loading screens, obviously >_>).

You get the wrong end of the stick from my post. I'm perfectly aware that it is a spin-off, and so it won't be a typical Sonic affair. That was kind of the point I was trying to make in my post. I said I wasn't going to buy it for a completely different reason, because I don't like RPGs and especially RPGs with turn-based battles (that tapping the screen stuff doesn't make up for it, that is just a stupid gimmick).

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 09:19:01 am »

You get the wrong end of the stick from my post. I'm perfectly aware that it is a spin-off, and so it won't be a typical Sonic affair. That was kind of the point I was trying to make in my post. I said I wasn't going to buy it for a completely different reason, because I don't like RPGs and especially RPGs with turn-based battles (that tapping the screen stuff doesn't make up for it, that is just a stupid gimmick).
My response was more directed at Azure than you; I thought that might be the case.  I was also partly addressing the "it's just an RPG with Sonic in" comment.  This is why teh intarwebs needs a "what I really mean" translator >_>
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline Azure

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 02:03:12 pm »
I'm not really an RPG fan, so having Sonic hastily slapped onto one isn't what I call a game.
But at least it looks better than Shuffle, which was essentially .1% a failed interactive board game and 99.9% loading times.

Offline Pokemonmaster888

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:07:15 pm »
I was liking how the game sounded a while back, but after seeing a few gameplay videos of it, it kind of turned me away. The gameplay seems pretty good, but the scenery and environment just didn't catch my interest. It is still a bit too early to make an actual decision of buying the game for me though.

Offline Azure

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:57:11 pm »
I was liking how the game sounded a while back, but after seeing a few gameplay videos of it, it kind of turned me away. The gameplay seems pretty good, but the scenery and environment just didn't catch my interest. It is still a bit too early to make an actual decision of buying the game for me though.

Same here.

What the DS really needs is a fully 3d Sonic Adventure style title with limited touch screen interaction and lots of button mashing fun.

Offline Ben

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 04:02:41 pm »
It's looking quite promising. Hopefully Bioware are keeping Sega's input to a bare minimum on this one.

Offline Cream147

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 04:41:34 pm »

Same here.

What the DS really needs is a fully 3d Sonic Adventure style title with limited touch screen interaction and lots of button mashing fun.

I'm not sure how well a 3D sonic on the DS would work. I can see camera being a bigger problem than it already was in Adventure 1&2. Games like Rayman 2 and Super Mario 64 have been successfully ported to the DS, but if you add a bit of Sonic speed to the equation, I think it would turn out horribly wrong. The DS2, on the other hand, could be a different story.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 06:20:54 am »
Moar chronicles news:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/15/joystiq-impressions-sonic-chronicles-the-dark-brotherhood/
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/22/sonic-chronicles-the-dark-brotherhood-offers-up-overproduced-tr/

Sounds somewhat like the basic RPG feels as though Sonic has just been dropped in but there are out-of-combat Sonicy gimmicks, and Sonic aside it's a really solid RPG.  Hopefully we'll see plenty Sonicy-ness in the combat after all, and half decent plot/dialogue - then this could be a real winner.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:28 pm »
More news. Game spot impressions are positive. There are three general play styles; Power class, shifter class, and support class. Sonic and Knuckles are in the power class, Amy is in the shifter class, and Big and Tails are in the support class. Sonic is very effective against flying enemies. Fast but not much damage. Knuckles is good against heavily armored enemies. Much like I predicted, Amy plays like a paladin (good fighter with minor ally support techniques). Released September 30. Game play footage shows Green Hill Zone, Central City, and Mystic Ruins.

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 01:51:35 am »
Gamespot Hands-On preview: link

Sounds good so far. Nothing new here, really.

As with any game bearing the BioWare name, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood places a heavy focus on the story. What we know from the outset is that Knuckles has gone missing, so it's up to Sonic and team to act as the rescue patrol. Digging a little deeper, we find out from Tails that Knuckles has most likely been kidnapped by a shadowy group known as the Marauders. In fact, it's Tails who bears the burden of Knuckles' disappearance; Tails set up a trap so Knuckles could put a stop to the Marauders stealing all the world's Chaos Emeralds. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out, and now Tails has joined your team to help find the spike-fisted echidna.
Another key sign that this is a BioWare game is the freedom of choice you're given in dialogue sequences. Playing the part of Sonic, you can choose from a multitude of responses to any one question or statement. These options range from helpful to downright condescending. Sonic, it seems, has been given a bristly personality to match his hedgehog appearance. Whether it's making fun of a grown man for his fear of robots or rubbing salt in Tails' wounds for letting Knuckles go missing, Sonic has the potential to be a real jerk toward others.

lol
I guess the Story is one of the main features about the game. Letting you respond to anybody and be as constructive, thoughtful, or snarky as you please. :D

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 12:51:54 pm »
Game Informer also had a preview. Nothing ground breaking but still a solid Bioware title.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 01:24:48 pm »
and now Tails has joined your team to help find the spike-fisted echidna.
Riiight.  I'm SURE that's the only reason Tails joined the team.  <_<
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 08:31:33 pm »
The first review for this game has been leaked. Nintendo Power gave the game an 8.0/10. Great story but combat can get repetitive towards the end. Chao are a blast to toy with. Searching for the scans now. This might be news worthy, so if anyone wants to put this in the site news forum, go ahead.

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 12:05:04 am »
Searching for the scans now.

Somebody scanned it already. I'll see if I can find it.

Well that was surprisingly easy. It's here! Post 627

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/Nintendo_6444/Pokemon%20sprites/scan0001.jpg

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 02:37:17 pm »
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=5887

Writer said Sonic Chronicles is fantastic. Expect the review in the next issue and online shortly before the game comes out (9/30).

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:21:42 pm by magnum12 »

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 09:54:04 pm »
Sorry for the double post, but here's some more review data.

ONM UK: 9.3
Game Informer: 8.5 These guys are infamously harsh critics of the series so this is significant.
Game Pro: 4/5
Euro Gamer: 7/10
IGN: 6.5. These are the same guys who gave Disgaea 3 a 6.7 primarily for the graphics and "lack of improvment" (this point is BS if you take the proper time to notice it, since I found several much needed improvement within the first 15 minutes of game play. They also game Too Human, widely considered one of the most disappointing games of the year a 7.8.

BTW, this game is out in Australlia or so I heard. Perhaps yse can give some impressions of it.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 02:11:46 am »
The game isn't that bad. The battles do resemble similarities to Mario RPG games, but...different at the same time.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 03:10:12 am »
BTW, this game is out in Australlia or so I heard. Perhaps yse can give some impressions of it.

Are you kidding? I haven't bought a Sonic game in four years, and I don't play RPGs. That and I'm too busy playing Guitar Hero 3.

However, pro points for releasing here before the States, regardless.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 03:33:56 am »
and I don't play RPGs.

you mean....I'm not alone!?  ;_;
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 05:11:42 am »

Are you kidding? I haven't bought a Sonic game in four years, and I don't play RPGs. That and I'm too busy playing Guitar Hero 3.

However, pro points for releasing here before the States, regardless.
It's people like you, mike, not buying the games when they're graciously brought to you, that are what's behind the US getting all the good shit first.  Also you let the terrorists win.

<_<

Print

Hits: 316 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.30 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.