don't click here

Mega Man 9

Print

Author Topic: Mega Man 9  (Read 50705 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Mega Man 9
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »
As some of you know, MM9 got released to the Wii today. It's pretty fun, but doesn't really get very challenging until the last 4 stages. Spoiler alerts: Weaknesses about to be leaked.

Splash Woman: Hornet Chaser
Concrete Man: Laser Trident
Galaxy Man: Concrete Shot
Jewel Man: Black Hole Bomb
Plug Man: Jewel Satellite
Tornado Man: Plug shot
Magma Man: Tornado Blow
Hornet Man: Magma Bazooka
Ball Guardians: Buster. Requires unique tactics. Tornado Blow has not been tested.
Shark Jet: Laser Trident
Twin Devils: Black Hole Bomb
Dr. Wily 1: Make eggs explode on jaw (annoying as all hell).
Dr. Wily 2: Concrete Shot
Dr. Wily 3: Magma Bazooka (use black hole bomb or tornado blow to block shots).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline F-Man

Re: Mega Man 9
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 10:02:43 pm »
Why would you post the weaknesses srsly.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:51:55 pm »
so we already know, duh >_>

someone post this as a .nes so I can rape it plz
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:08:06 pm »
a .nes?

also should we jumpstart TMMC once more for this occasion?  or would the worldwide rankings be enough as it is.

also after beating 6 of the 8, I figured them out, but I beat 4 of them buster only heh.  Also to me, the stages aren't long enough, but they were still enjoyable and the music is just as great.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:43:55 am »
Yeah, the stages are too short. The Rush Jet is back to it's MM4 handling (way better than MM5). Figured out most of the weakness chain by about the 3rd to 4th guy. So far I've fragged Splash Woman, Magma Man, Galaxy Man, and Jewel Man with the buster. I can probably get Hornet Man, but haven't tried him yet. The third Wily stage can get pretty annoying, namely the 2nd zero gravity section. Can become a session of trial and error due to thos things that try to hijack you and slam into spikes. No way to know where they are unless you stumble onto them.

Seems my hypothesis regarding Maverick Virus involvement in MM9 is wrong. I do hear that the ending is funny though. Also, Inafune basically discredited the "Zero killed everyone" theory about what happened to cause the robot dark age. I do have a rather twisted theory about what happened and why X was so strictly tested. Perhaps Mega Man fought against Zero (Bass is most likely the first victim), beat him, and got infected by the virus and went on a rampage. Maybe we'll find out in MM10.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 01:22:04 am »
I personally think that Zero whacked Wily first, but that's just me and the ending to the arcade game ^_^
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:34:40 pm »
personally, I think Keiji is going to avoid that whole connection due to it not being really that important at the moment.  I think he will leave it open just like the X series as he does want to do more with the classic and X series, but hasn't due to money problems.  he still wants to do legends 3 as well.  capcom has him in a bind due to products needing to sell well.  I mean Powered Up and MMHX should have been flying off the shelves, but they haven't and I doubt they will do anymore remakes because of that and probably why they halted on even going back to the past series in general until now. 

hopefully MM9's return to form will open up those doors for more in the series and probably some remakes as well.  what I think is better is if they leave it as digital downloads instead of having to spend more money to burn onto discs, but only if they do stay with mostly past gen style graphics.  but also I'm going with the fact that these games were never really too long to begin with and nowadays paying for a MM title of such length isn't worth it to most people.  MM9 being 10 bucks (excluding DLC) is pretty nice and for what it offers to boot.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 03:47:01 pm »
I think he doesn't want to make that connection so he can make Megaman 10, 11 and 12. The latter being on the technical level of an Atari VCS 2600 game.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:04:41 pm »
Waiting for a 360, but I will play this to death.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:38:05 am »
Damn, had no idea this was out already. Definitely going to get this some time this weekend.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 07:44:33 pm »
Just finished the game last night. Just short of the tango challenge (this included all the screw grinding I did). Not bad for a first completion. The leaderboards are really lack luster (they only track the top 10 per division, which sucks). With that in mind, I say now is the perfect opprutunity to try to draw attention to ourselves. How we should go about this I have no idea.

Except the last few stages, this game is kind of easy. Got the quick draw challenge for every possible boss except Galaxy Man (how does one do this one) and Concrete Man. Fragged Splash Woman, Jewel Man, Magma Man, and Galaxy Man without the buster but it was in the Wily stage so it doesn't count for the challenge. The final Wily form fights in a similar way to MM7 Dr. Wily. He's easier as you have several ways to negate his shots (the red ones are more important to negate than the blue ones since the blues are easy to avoid). I found that the best way to deal with the first form is don't jump and hit the egg just as it hits the ground.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 07:56:42 pm »
There's a topic here?

Anyhow, MM9 is great.  As for the Wily 1 boss, I think you just need to destroy a specific number of those things.  But I dunno.  Also Magma Bazooka helps to hit three at once at the beginning.

As for the final boss final phase, the weakness is actually plug ball.  Good luck hitting it though <_<
Though Magma Bazooka works about the same at point blank.  But seeing as you have to be at point blank to get all hits to connect, I'd just suggest plug ball for close range so you can save magma bazooka for altitude hitting.

I still haven't quick-drawn Galaxy Man...  My best chance is only if he zooms to the side three or four times so he doesn't take forever using the black hole.

Also defeated all bosses buster only, no E-tanks or half damage thing!  Magma Man and Plug Man are the most annoying of the bunch doing that.

Then there's Waltz, Tango, No Coffee Break, and plenty of other minor achievements like Speed Metal and Heavy Metal.

...I didn't think of negating the final form's shots.  I just evaded them.  Or got hit by them.

Magnum, you should put (spoilers) in the topic title or something. <_<
Hi

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:59:20 pm »
By the way, does Splash Woman break the law of all Robot Masters being men, or was that already broken?
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 08:16:13 pm »
By the way, does Splash Woman break the law of all Robot Masters being men, or was that already broken?
Depends on if you want to count Roll, who's technically on the recorded list.  But as for being a female boss in a Mega Man game, Splash Woman's the first.  About time too.
Hi

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 08:21:19 pm »
Wait, how is Roll a robot master?

Sorry if I'm being a noob as I know near nothing in terms of megaman >_>
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »
Hm...  Really, I don't know how that term (Robot Master) applies.  But let me put it this way.  All Mega Man robots that appear ingame have a classification.  The MM1 and MM9 ones are labelled DRN-(number) for Doctor Light's creations (Because L and R are the same in Japan).

Rock/Mega Man is DRN-001.  Roll is DRN-002.  The bosses of MM1 are DRN-003 to DRN-008

The MM9 robots are pretty far off in numbering due to being after all the other games and such, but that's not the point.
Hi

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 08:51:21 pm »
The term "Robot Master" doesn't imply that it's anything other than a master... in the MM series, this refers to the ability to these robots to directly or indirectly control other robots.

Miters, for example ^_^

so yes, in this sense, Roll and Rock are both Robot masters, as they're the same creations as the other, DRN-0 through DRN-X

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 09:05:28 pm »
actually the term "robot master" isn't an official term from capcom.  I have no idea what Keiji calls his creations.  robot master seems fitting only because they are the master of their domain and the last stance between you and victory...and they are robots.  I don't think they have any control over what happens in the stages.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »
I think the term robot master was a nick name by the fan base that stuck with them. Don't quote me on this.

In the ending, the replays of Dr. Wily apologizing show what the weak point of the last boss was. There are some screw ups in it though. The 1st weak spot was actually Fire Storm, the 6th weak spot was the Silver Tomahawk and the 9th one is supposed to be Magic Card. Minor thing, but I found the ending funny in a nostalgic way.

I've also found the weak spots of two of the three mid bosses. The dragon is weak against Black Hole Bomb. The flower's weakness is concrete shot?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 06:53:17 pm »
The manual to MM1 states that Gutsman controls the miters and aids in the construction of the various buildings and the like...

Either that, or it's from the Anime...

But regardless if it's from the fans or from Cap themselves, Capcom now endorses it... or at least did at some point, I'm sure.

Also, a bit of trivia: all of the "men" from the first game are actually jobs:
Iceman: A few possible references... To "ice" someone could be to kill them, so an assassin is an iceman.  Before modern refridgeration, people bought huge blocks of Ice that people brought into homes with those huge tongs.  Also, it could be an allusion to the "Iceman" that's considered the oldest discovered human.
Fireman: Straightforward, huh?
Cutman: This is the title for those people who, during boxing matches, quickly patch up the boxers, since bleeding on the mat is grounds for the loss of a match.
Bombman: Two possible.  Demolition crews in the war were headed by the guy who actually primes the bomb, the "Bombman".  Also, it could be the "fall guy" that a lot of different groups use to avoid the law.
Elecman: term for people who run petitions for elections, but I doubt it's this one.
Probably shorthand of "electrician man" if it is indeed related to jobs.
Gutsman: The signle strongman in a group... named for their appearance in WW1 where they moved the corpses away from the hospitals.

This is not my bit of writing, so I apologize if it's wrong, but I do know that cutman/Fireman is accurate, and that Iceman is indeed the nickname of the guy who they discovered in that cave >_>

I'll try to be less specific next time ^_^

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 01:37:38 am »
In the ending, the replays of Dr. Wily apologizing show what the weak point of the last boss was. There are some screw ups in it though. The 1st weak spot was actually Fire Storm, the 6th weak spot was the Silver Tomahawk and the 9th one is supposed to be Magic Card. Minor thing, but I found the ending funny in a nostalgic way.

I've also found the weak spots of two of the three mid bosses. The dragon is weak against Black Hole Bomb. The flower's weakness is concrete shot?
PLANT CLOCK IS EVIL!

But really, I just hate how it can pop up anywhere.  I tend to use laser trident and plug ball (one to hit where the other doesn't) and I think both of those kill in eight hits.  SJ said using all four Tornado Blow shots work and three charged magma bazooka shots at point blank also work, but I don't want to go point blank <_<
Gotta try tornado blow, though.

Also Magnum, I know part 1 is weak to fire storm, but what about part 2?  Same thing?

Anyhow, the hairstyle is lame <_<  You take double damage without a helmet.  Just goes to show ya, always wear a helmet when riding a rush jet!
Hi

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 02:25:04 am »
Also, am I the only person on the intarwebz who enjoyed MM64?

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 02:36:54 am »
Some news for ye.

Capcom to sell Mega Man 9 box and cart to the public.

http://kotaku.com/5052089/yup-youll-be-able-to-buy-a-mega-man-9-box#viewcomments

Protoman as download content as well as all Wii DLC.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=56522

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/22/mega-man-9-dlc-you-got-extra-modes/

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 02:52:34 am »
...okay, why didn't anyone else put up that old news?
Hi

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 03:26:54 am »
so I'll assume they aren't actual carts?

it doesn't say..

anyway, I'm kinda sad... if they released this for NES at the NES price (39.99) I'd buy it...

I love new old games... (S1MM totally rocks ^_^)

I'm actually happy that I never had money during the 90s... if that wasn't indeed the case, I'd have nothing to go back and dig up to play...

all Nostalgia...

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 01:01:56 am »
I heard they're fake.  And have that cd inside.

Anyhow, now I've got Encore added to my list of achievements.  And farewell to arms.  Not much left aside from a few tricky ones, some insane ones (I CANNOT be Mr. Perfect), and Gamer's Day.

CURSE YOU GALAXY MAN FOR BEING A LONG BATTLE!
Hi

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 01:47:49 am »
Also, am I the only person on the intarwebz who enjoyed MM64?

If by MM64 you mean Mega Man Legends (MM64 IIRC is a weaker version than the PS1 version), then yes, there are people who liked it. The game (fun but flawed) has a cult following. The sequel is considerably better but was a bit hard to find. Inafune wants to make a third game.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 06:29:19 am »
Yeah, /v/ in particular basically goes crazy over the Legends series. I was amazed when I found out because up to that point I had only heard terrible things about them.

Reminds me that I STILL haven't tried out any of the X games past 3 (I must at least play 4 and 5). Hmm, I never tried anything other than the first Zero and Battle Network games, either...

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 02:25:19 pm »
where were you guys when TMMC was first established?  I didn't know we had this many Mega Man fans here >:(

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 03:45:13 pm »
where were you guys when TMMC was first established?  I didn't know we had this many Mega Man fans here >:(

I think the kinds of Mega Man games tracked might have contributed to people staying away.

<_<
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Print

Hits: 356 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.25 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.