don't click here

COMING SOON! To Channel TSC!

Print

Author Topic: COMING SOON! To Channel TSC!  (Read 94594 times)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
COMING SOON! To Channel TSC!
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:24:10 pm »
I'm thinking this will take place either Friday night or Saturday night, to best cater for people that want to participate.

SO FAR IT IS LOOKING TO BE SATURDAY NIGHT. TIME NOT YET CONFIRMED.

11PM GMT IS THE CURRENT START TIME

So as some of you will be aware, last night TSC raced Sonic 1, then Sonic 2, then Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

THE DREAM IS THIS

A marathon race, of Sonic 1, Sonic 2, then Sonic 3&K, as Sonic alone.

All participants would begin at Sonic 1, and progress to Sonic 2 once they clear Final Zone.
Then they would dash through Sonic 2, and progress to Sonic 3&K after they clear Death Egg.
The challenge would be clear once the screen fades at the end of Doomsday Act 2 (Death Egg 2's Second Boss, for those not in the know.)

Once you game over, thats it, you're out (providing you have no continues), and you cannot just rejoin in at a later game, seeing as not everyone will start S2/3&K at the same time? Addendum: Trying to work out some sort of penalty system for letting you do so.

This would be an epic test of endurance and skill, the ultimate challenger for any TSCer!

Whos in!?

IMPORTANT STUFF

First and foremost, game is tracked IN REAL TIME.

Secondly, game overs. (This is SonicAD's suggestion)

When a player game over's (And has no continues), they restart on the level they were on, and receive +1 to their game over tally (example below). They then restart at the beginning of the act they were on, read the section on recording for what to do when/if you game over.

The second point with this is how the results will be determined. Game Overing adds 1 to your fail Game Over tally. Players with 1 Game Over cannot be ranked higher than players with none, even if they finish faster. 2 Game Overs cant be ranked higher than 1 Game Over etc etc. Each game over also adds 10 minutes to your finish time.

IE

1st - Person A Time: 3 hours or something
2nd - Person B  Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
3rd - Person D  Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
4th - Person C Time: 3 hours 30 minutes (1 GO)

etc.

Thirdly, recording.

.giz or .gmv are fine, use whichever emulator you prefer. In the event of a game over, KEEP RECORDING, go back to the title screen/optionsand input the level select cheat, or use your save file if your up to S3K, then go to the level you were on.

In terms of where to start recording, we will all start, from a frozen recording AT THE SONIC1 TITLE SCREEN. Recording of the other games should begin as soon as the rom is loaded.

Also note, if the game legitimatly freezes on you (and it isnt the emulator), this is what you should do:
[17:32] <+RPG> You should end the .giz
[17:32] <+RPG> restart the rom, start recording a new one and dont overwrite
[17:32] <+RPG> and level select to the level you were on

Yes you will lose lives and continues probably, but unfortunatly that is a case of tough luck

IMPORTANT NOTE!! When you start running Sonic 2, don't forget to select Sonic Alone through the Options menu!

Special Stages and Bonus Stages are completely fair game, as is super/hyper sonic should you wish to sacrifice finishing quickly for being mostly invincible.

Also it is totally mandatory to post your level times each time you clear a level while its tallying/fading

I think thats all, if theres anything else Ill update it to here later.

Current Entries: 26(28) (3 Maybe's, 5 Probably's)

RPG
Spinny (Maybe)
Doug
SJ
FKE (Maybe)
Mike
Aita
Thorn
Werster
Sondow
Eredani
Miles
Crowbar
Fuzzerd (Probably)
Cruizer
Achlys
Yoshifan (Maybe)
SonicAD
Iceman !?
stanski !?
JGDA
Paraxade
DsS (Probably?! OK.)
Upthorn (Probably)
CF (Probably)
MK
SkyLights
Jupi
Alondite (Maybe)
Groudon (Probably)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:34:51 pm by ARCANE ALBATROSS OF FOREBODING »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
Re: COMING SOON! To Channel TSC!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:32:28 pm »
I need to know when, and plz not on a night I'm not here (aka thursday friday or saturday). And not when I'm at work (early Monday, Wednesday 4-8 EST/9-1 GMT).

But I'm game >:O!
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:11:38 pm »
Just to be clear (given I've never completed S3&K without all emeralds >_>) this is just to the end of Death Egg 2, with no emerald collection at all?  Also if the timing suits I'm totally in.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 06:19:39 pm »
The challenge would be clear once the screen fades at the end of Doomsday Act 2 (Death Egg 2's Second Boss, for those not in the know.)
Doug I thought you were smarter than that. :(
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:20:11 pm »
huh i'll join, if i'm not busy that day >_____>

Edit: I'm not Busy that day i'm in :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:18:14 am by 1stKirbyever »
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 06:30:26 pm »
I'm in
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 06:35:55 pm »
Emerald colelction is entirely optional, but doomsday doesnt count towards your clear time

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 09:28:59 pm »
Fuck it, I want in on this. Even though I haven't been in the chat or anything at all lately. And don't TA any of the Mega Drive games and will fail horribly!

But what timezone's "Saturday night" are you referring to? PST? As I'm on GMT I worry that might place it at about midnight to morning for me. :(

How the hell do these work anyway? People just stay in the chat and say where they're at while recording a .giz?

Offline Luxray

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:23 pm »
This is probably the best idea i have heard of all year *shot*

I will drop out in S1 so yeah.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline FuzZerd

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 11:06:30 pm »
count me in as a probably.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:16:10 pm »
I'll be in.  I'll probably rank high due to 80% of the people not finishing S1, yeah! >_>

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 11:36:17 pm »
Timings are GMT yeah, and unfortunatly for Crowbar it is likely to be starting around midnightish, but I will try and arrange it for earlier :(

Cruizer are you in or not? >_>

Offline Luxray

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 01:57:39 am »
Yeah i'm in. Just tell me the time and i'll be on
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 01:58:29 am »
I'll be there.

I'll also be working on actually finishing Death Egg in S2.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 02:43:28 am »
I am so in.

Everyone practice Marble. I want a whole bunch of people actually reaching S3&K!

S3&K-S was a really close race a few days ago... is it that much to ask to get another close race?

<3 Thorn.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 05:45:04 am »
11PM GMT..is...what time AEST?

I am so in.

Everyone practice Marble. I want a whole bunch of people actually reaching S3&K!

S3&K-S was a really close race a few days ago... is it that much to ask to get another close race?

I'm trying to practice Marble...i can't do 2 or 3 properly. Which is weird considering i can do Scrap Brain and Final Zone Flawlessly.

Also practice everything after Hill Top for Sonic 2. >_>
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 06:41:16 am »
11pm this coming Saturday means I am so in.  Prepare for a whipping guys :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 11:10:44 am »
Oh 11pm's okay.

Practicing now. I at least want not to die.

Offline Eis Makai

• The Icy Coyote
  • TSC: Iceman
  • winvista msie7
  • An icy coyote! Or is it ;)
    • View Profile
    • www.lavadomefive.com/forum
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »
I think i will do this if I am able to. So this is if you have Sonic Mega Collection (or the actual 3 1/2 games for Genesis or PC) and you start Sonic 1, then you quit, then you go to Sonic 2, then you quit out, then you go to S3K and boom over?

How are the stats done? What would be the time for Eastern Time, New York? I suppose it is -5 from Greenwich. So if it is 11PM Greenwich time, then it starts at 6PM Eastern Time for all those who live on the Eastern Time, Maine-Florida, Ohio, Alabama, half of Idiana, 1/2 Kentucky and 1/2 Tennessee
Eis Makai is the Icy Coyote. Sumaru Star is the Ice Dragon. I own the Ice Planet!

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 02:16:45 pm »

RPG
Spinny (Maybe)
Doug
SJ
FKE (Maybe)
Mike
Aita
Thorn
Werster
Sondow
Eredani (Probably)
Miles
Crowbar
Fuzzerd (Probably)
Cruizer
Achlys
Yoshifan (Maybe)
SonicAD

Likely finishing order:

--Mike: SS experience puts him on top here. Even though he's not the best in any of the games (Miles in S1, Aita/Eredani in S2, and werster in S3&K), he's certainly the most consistent.

--Werster: He's something of a loose cannon. He's possibly the most skilled player on the list, but he's also a risk-taker, which could wind up biting him in the ass later with a game over. He'll either medal or drop out during S3&K.

--RPG: Inconsistent, but definitely a major contender. He has something of a repetitive death syndrome, so if he starts screwing up a boss keep on the watch for a crash.

--Thorn: As the rear guard, Thorn will probably be looking for mistakes from the front of the pack. He takes it relatively slowly, but he's the one competitor I will bestow the honor of "Most Likely to Finish", so keep a close eye on him.

--Fuzz: Good player all around. Doesn't quite have Thorn's consistency though, so we'll see on that front.

--Eredani: I don't really know what to expect here. From my experience, he's like SM: very good when he chooses to practice a level, but not so good when it comes to the sort of playing I'd expect to see during a marathon.

--Douglas/SJ: They're definitely competent enough 2D players, so I foresee them being midway between the leaders and the average player.

--Achlys: I'm a good player in certain areas, but have absolutely no TA'ing skill in some others. For me, it really depends on how S2 plays out. I may be overestimating my abilities here.

--SonicAD/Spinballwizard: They'll finish, but slower than most. I definitely see a chance for them, though, if Death Egg or another problem level winds up being bloodier than anticipated.

And for the rest...

Miles
Aitamen
yoshifan
Crowbar
CrUiZ3R/Sondow/FKE
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:11:26 pm by Waxwings »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 06:18:15 pm »
I think you underestimate yoshifan's prowess; sure he's better at 3D, but I think he'll still do something.

Also yeah I will be slower than most; the only wallzip I'm confident with in S1 is SB3. I'll be really slow through s1. And S2/DE. >_>

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 09:15:13 pm »
I am actually quite honoured that you think Ill finish 3rd

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 09:19:23 pm »
...drat.  I start to think about joining this and I notice I can't make it due to the time <_<
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 09:27:47 pm »
:(

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 01:37:10 am »
Also Iceman it would be preferable if you would play on an emulator heh

Gens+ is fine!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 02:19:05 am »
It's not like anyone's going to compare length when the runs are going to be 3+ hours long :(

That said, if you do want to compete, make -sure- you get in the chat on Saturday.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Telnaior

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:05 am »
I will probably play, but I'll crash and burn somewhere in S2. Robotnik's Revenge was good practise for the WF boss though. So if I can clear Metropolis and then Death Egg, I -might- make it. Screw racing it though :P
Time won't be a problem, but if Mum and Dad decide to lug me off somewhere, I won't make it :(

Also, unrelatedly, RR needs a boss select. (No idea how that would work though)

EDIT: Also, (this was proposed by AD, not me) a GO system would be level selecting to the start of the zone that the player in last place is in (not counting you, if you happened to be in last place at the time). This may cause you to skip one or multiple zones if you are far behind, and could be seen as a viable strategy. Catch: You must execute the level select code each time you GO otherwise you must start from the beginning of the game (that the last place player is in). This can be seen as a 'GO penalty', to avoid someone jumping in at the final boss of S3K, for example.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 03:42:21 am »
Here's my predicted rankings:

THE CONTENDERS

1st - wersterlobe - I do not consider this a concession to my younger brother, I still think I'm a better player at my best. But that last part is the key point. I am nowhere near my best and my S3&K single segments are over two years old. werster has been actively competing since that time, and I think that opens the door.
2nd - mike89 - Even putting myself this high is a stretch, but having substantially won a run of Sonic 2 and finished just behind Miles in Sonic 1 tonight, I think I can get enough of a lead up to beat most comers through S3K.
3rd - Thorn - I really believe consistency will win the day on this one. Thorn is rock solid, but may not have the balls for some of the riskier strategies. This might work in his favour, as those riskier strategies, in my experience, generally don't come off.

THE CHASING PACK

4th - RPG - Another generally consistent player, but with a potentially selfdestructive habit of showboating.
5th - eredani - A real dark horse. eredani certainly possesses the skills to win this outright, but it depends how well he practices and, particularly if he doesn't practice much, how he reacts to unfamiliar situations.
6th - Miles - The current SDA record holder for Sonic 1, we all know he can play. Some strong recent showings in Sonic 2 point to a pretty good form line in the first half of the race... but currently unproven in S3&K.
7th - douglas - A strong Sonic 2 player, also with a known good record in Sonic 1. Unproven in S3&K though, and so far has made no attempt at distance events.
8th - yoshifan - Another dark horse, but one who seems quite out of practice. Game over in Final Zone on his most recent attempt of Sonic 1... with no indication of how we're going to handle this yet, it could be a major hurdle if he can't get out of Sonic 1.

THE PRETENDERS

SonicAD - Will definitely finish, but he'll probably be the yardstick by which the Game Over-ers will be reset >_>
Spinballwizard - Unless this guy is. He'll finish too.
Achlys - Very hot and cold. Will keep pace on the levels he knows, and drop off substantially on the ones he doesn't.
Aitamen - Will probably be looking strong after Sonic 2, and then fade away drastically.
SJ - Game overs too often to be a real chance <_<
Fuzzerd - A steadily improving player, but probably not enough to keep pace with the best.
Cruizer - Just in it for novelty value, I feel.
Sondow - Will try hard...

(note that these ones at the bottom aren't ranked in any way)

<3 Thorn.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 07:59:19 am »
I ACCEPT j00R CHALLENGE
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 08:14:19 am »
Proposal: a 10/7/4/2/1 sitewide point bonus for the top 4 places and finishing the race.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Print

Hits: 393 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.36 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.