don't click here

Kotaku article about Sonic

Print

Author Topic: Kotaku article about Sonic  (Read 7135 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Kotaku article about Sonic
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »
http://kotaku.com/5336675/

Seems that Sega doesn't define quality for the younger audience as a metacritic 90 scoring game. Sega's core Sonic target is no longer the original fan base, but rather the under 12 group. Interesting read.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Luxray

Re: Kotaku article about Sonic
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 12:40:40 pm »
So um....why'd you post this now rather than 2 months after the article was posted?
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:43:54 pm »
Just recently found this and was horrified. Also, no topic about it. This is certainly discussion worthy.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:47:15 pm »
And this article was posted before needlemouse's announcement. So i have no clue what to beleive about their target market now.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 02:17:30 pm »
And this article was posted before needlemouse's announcement. So i have no clue what to beleive about their target market now.
There are two demographics, as stated in the article. Their main branch will fap over their new kind of games built for kids, and the old skool branch which they will release these type of games every know and then "to keep them satisfied."

Yes, the article is complete bull when you read the whole thing. Why are they having the new direction of Sonic games to target only kids when their old games did the exact same thing? They basically said they they don't care about quality, as long as they can please the kids and they continue to sell, they'll keep making them. But kids will like any game period, why not strive to make a good, quality game that kids, and older audiences can appreciate?

Yes, any game is subjective to opinion and many others still appreciate the newer games, (yes, all three of them >.>) but blantly stating that you don't care about quality is...is...is...completely retarded. Not that all the new games are that bad, mind you. Only the ones outsourced to another company were! :D Oh wait, wut?

But yeah, old topic is old. I'd had bigger grievances with this when it was released but don't care much any more.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:43:18 pm »
There are two demographics, as stated in the article. Their main branch will fap over their new kind of games built for kids, and the old skool branch which they will release these type of games every know and then "to keep them satisfied."

Yes, the article is complete bull when you read the whole thing. Why are they having the new direction of Sonic games to target only kids when their old games did the exact same thing? They basically said they they don't care about quality, as long as they can please the kids and they continue to sell, they'll keep making them. But kids will like any game period, why not strive to make a good, quality game that kids, and older audiences can appreciate?

This generation of kids aren't the same as we were. They've been brought up in a world of console FPSs where as us old folks are used to the time-tested platformers and RPGs/Adventures. Them saying that they're marketing to kids today is not the same as saying they're going to market games to kids 10-20 years ago.

Yes, any game is subjective to opinion and many others still appreciate the newer games, (yes, all three of them >.>) but blantly stating that you don't care about quality is...is...is...completely retarded. Not that all the new games are that bad, mind you. Only the ones outsourced to another company were! :D Oh wait, wut?

But yeah, old topic is old. I'd had bigger grievances with this when it was released but don't care much any more.

They clearly don't care about quality. If they did, '06 would not be the piece of shit that it is. If they're gonna just make games to appease the people with OMG NEW CHARACTERS AND SHITTY NEW FEATURES without having the essence of the original games or any respectable quality to it, then they should just stop the damn circus.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:00:02 pm »
Sega is completely missing the point and have their priorities completely out of whack. If they're trying to market to kids, then the proper thing to do from a game design perspective is to focus on the game's quality (to get 9.0+ reviews), then make sure the actual content is okay for kids. The truly legendary games/shows/movies for kids were the ones that focused on quality first and while marketed to kids has the solid core (and the occasional subtle joke) that can appeal to adults as well. Look at the Mario series, Looney Tunes, and the better Disney films as examples of this.

Print

Hits: 849 | Hits This Month: 7 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.00 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.