don't click here

The hell? The letters 'w', 't' and 'f' spring to

Print

Author Topic: The hell? The letters 'w', 't' and 'f' spring to  (Read 7345 times)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« on: July 16, 2004, 04:00:50 pm »
I was playing Sonic 3D, and I had just finished Green Grove Act 1 and got 1:4x for time....however, it didn't seem like I was in the level that long, so I restarted and tried again. I paused just before the fade out as Sonic soars skyward through the 'goal ring' (=P) and it displayed 1:05....HOWEVER, my End of Act stats screen displayed the time as 1:17 o_0. EVERY SINGLE TIME I finish it tags 12 extra seconds on for no apparent reason. Does everyone suffer with this and which time should I post? I assume the 'just-before-fade-out' time because there is no way 47 seconds (59-12 if you use the End of Act timer) is possible. 55/56 is doubtful IMO, but I can see a 57 or a 58. So, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 04:01:26 pm by RPGnutter »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 04:26:33 pm »
Two possibilities:

Genesis/Saturn discrepancy
NTSC/PAL refresh problem

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 04:30:36 pm »
I was playing Saturn, and PAL obviously...so should their be a rule added to Sonic 3D Blast stating that to get your level time you should pause while Sonic is 'flying' up in the column of light....or while the screen fades? Otherwise there are some MAJOR disadvantages to some players.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:35:38 pm »
From what I can remember the Genesis/Megadrive version doesn't show your time when you pause anyway. Whether the 12 seconds are added or not I'm not sure (but I presume they're not, or I'd technically have 7 seconds VV3 >_<)

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 06:05:57 am »
Its just ****ed up on Saturn then. However, I did notice that the longer you take in a level, the more time is added on -_-

For example:

My 59 Green Grove Act 1 showed up as 1:10 on the End of Act screen. (11 seconds)

My 1:58 Green Grove Act 2 showed up as 2:20 on the End of Act screen. (22 seconds!)

So if thats ok with everyone I'll use the 'pause when Sonic stands in the green X' method as the timer is frozen at that point.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 06:42:57 am »
Its just ****ed up on Saturn then. However, I did notice that the longer you take in a level, the more time is added on -_-

For example:

My 59 Green Grove Act 1 showed up as 1:10 on the End of Act screen. (11 seconds)

My 1:58 Green Grove Act 2 showed up as 2:20 on the End of Act screen. (22 seconds!)

So if thats ok with everyone I'll use the 'pause when Sonic stands in the green X' method as the timer is frozen at that point.
11/59 and 22/118 seem like they could almost fit the magic 6/5 ratio that screams out PAL adjustment (in this case, the pause clock and the actual timer running at different rates).  Both of those ratios are a bit low, but it would fit better if more time was added to the difference: maybe the end-of-level clock stops as soon as you run onto the X, so by pausing in the beam you're coming up with 11 and 22 seconds difference when the actual difference may be 12 and 23-24.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 06:04:37 pm »
Have you also tried out Sonic 3D Blast on the Sonic Mega Collection for gamecube as well? I'm just wondering...

*walks out*
The black wind howls...  ~Janus from Chrono Trigger
Currently Playing: Pokémon Fire Red, Pokémon Leaf Green, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
IRC nick - dothack/dothax

Print

Hits: 665 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.