don't click here

Race nights so far...

Print

Author Topic: Race nights so far...  (Read 108742 times)

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
Re: Race nights so far...
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 11:32:16 pm »
...this frankly unnecessary and complicated system to be tacked onto something that was supposed to be a "turn up and have fun" style event.
This.

You know what's going to help pique the most interest in race nights? A casual, simple structure. Honestly, the site doesn't hold much interest in people that are interested in Sonic games but don't want to compete, and for ones that do want to compete, they are usually content to either be like hyper-competitive Da1 or prefer to play only their personal favorites. This results in scenarios where some race nights are going to have much less competitors than others, which they will anyway, but moreso because a person's going to feel like they have to be good at the game in order to race, which many people aren't going to feel that they are.

I think if you want the best results for race nights over a long term, you need to start out with a really bare-bones system that first encourages people within the system already (aka the regulars) to want to show up and participate.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2012, 08:40:45 am »
^If I could articulate those words, I would've said them a while back
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »
I think that, before each race night, players who have signed up to TRN247 for the game being raced on the race night (players who have not signed up to TRN247 for the game being raced will not be affected as they are TRN247 non-active players) should be able to choose whether they want to participate in that race as a TRN247 active player or not.

By a TRN247 active player, I mean someone whose race results will count towards their TRN247 score, and someone who can be beaten in a race by another TRN247 active player for that player to gain TRN247 points (or lost against by another TRN247 active player for that player to lose TRN247 points).

That way, if a player isn't very good at a game, they can race as a TRN247 non-active player and have fun without having to worry about their own TRN247 score, and without having to worry about an opponent beating them and increasing their TRN247 score. Meanwhile, someone who is more confident and competitive in a game can race it as a TRN247 active player, knowing that their results will count towards their TRN247 score, and that other TRN247 active players who win or lose against them can gain or lose TRN247 points by beating/losing against them.

I think this scheme (or a similar scheme - I haven't thought this through fully and it may need tweaking here and there) will entice more players to participate in these race nights, as they can decide beforehand whether they want to race as a TRN247 active player or not. These are just my thoughts on the matter. As for me, I'm not gonna be racing from 10pm till the next morning this winter :/

Sorry if this was long winded and badly worded, English isn't really my strong point (also I said TRN247 like a hundred times) :V
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »
So basically what you're saying is, you'd like the ability for people to be able to go "no lol I don't want to be tracked on 24/7 for this race".

Which will realistically be every race where a person might lose points. The entire concept of being able to do that that makes this already redundant system even more redundant. Additionally it also adds additional work for SDM (not that he's here to do any anyway!) in that he'd have to manually check who opted out of being ranked because they might lose.

Bad idea/10
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2012, 03:16:34 pm »
Yeah that seems unnecessarily complex. Additionally, segregating racers is a terrible idea since there aren't even many racers to begin with.

Offline Parax

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2012, 04:01:40 pm »
I would also add that I doubt the lack of Race Night participation has anything to do whatsoever with TRN247.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2012, 04:25:51 pm »
Firstly, TSRN WILL NEVER WORK BECAUSE SDM HASN'T BEEN HERE FOR TWO WEEKS. Secondly, Daniel what you said makes no sense. I agree with RPG and SkyL here.

Anyway, it's too annoying to go trhough all of that when all we want is to race.

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »
@Umbreon: For reasons unknown?

It's true that the system isn't a blockade that when lifted will open the floodgates and tons of people will start doing race nights. However, to take a budding idea and just throwing up bells and whistles around it isn't really achieving anything other than giving people more things to glance at before they inevitably look away and do something else. There's an element of intimidation with this extra bulk, and while racing is the way it is right now, there's no element of interest in it.

Offline Parax

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »
Because TRN247 is something completely separate from the actual race nights. You can completely ignore that TRN247 even exists and just show up and race if you want to. Being put off by tne 247 system doesnt really make any sense to me as a reason why someone would stay away.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:28 pm »
Well if people hear about TSC Race Night 24/7 and TSC Race Nights at the same time, then they're clearly going to think they're either the same thing or related.

Edit: In the spirit of finding contradictions to "TRN247 is separate from race nights," might I point out that we're discussing TSC Race Night turnout in the TSC Race Night 24/7 subsection of the forum?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:18:58 pm by Magnezone »

Offline Cream147

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2012, 05:14:45 pm »
TRN 247 is a choice. You don't have to be a part of it to enter the race nights, so if that is stopping anybody from racing then it shouldn't be. I'm really not sure why it would be anyway. At any rate, TRN 247 isn't happening at the moment, so it really shouldn't be a problem in the slightest.

If people are staying away because they don't feel they're good enough then I'd like that to stop. I'm racing, you can certainly beat me! It's about the fun of playing through the game, there's no shame in coming last (which I did in Sonic 2 this weekend). If you won't enjoy playing through the game then fine, don't race, but please, don't allow your perceived lack of skill stop you. We're not all speed demons here anyway.

So yeah, isn't it time to start seeing some forum promotion for the SA2B race on Saturday? Because if people don't know it's happening, they're not going to turn up.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »
did somebody say sa2 race....

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2012, 05:53:47 pm »
I really don't see the problem with a race sign-up thread where you can vote for your personally preferred time (in text mind you). If someone repeatedly signs up but doesn't race then his/her votes are obviously going to lose power over time among the contenders.

It would solve all this "make it comfortable for europeans/australians/men from mars" issue. The results could get posted in that very thread together with the following chatter fallout, congratulations, mockings and whatnot.

I'm still not convinced about this whole "decide the time the day before, decide the game 10 minutes before racing" idea. Experience from SRL tells me that to have a game, goal and time set in stone a week or two before racing then advertise is as such is the best way to get people racing. I guess for some games like S3&K or SA2 it would kind of work with deciding the category/goal later on but as a rule of thumb I'm against it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:01:37 pm by TimpZ »

Offline SB737

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2012, 06:18:53 am »
I can't move it to 7pm EDT because then the Brits will be racing at 12am. I had them saying to me to move it earlier not later so if I do that we'll lose the Brits. Don't know what's happened to the people who wanted me to move it, they haven't posted in here yet but from the looks of things people want me to keep it the way it is.
Can we have it at least an hour earlier, and it needs to start on schedule, not an hour later like the last one, a 9pm start would be the latest I can have really (GMT), tbh whoever is going to particpate needs a say, that's why I think the times should alternate each week for different participants, not countries in general, the people that have joined in one of the first two race nights perhaps should be considered the most cos they've prooved that they'll participate.
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline Proxima

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 09:10:21 am »
I'm happy with the current time but also happy with moving it one or two hours either way.

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »
I think that the race nights should start at the same time each week to avoid confusion, and timing will always be less convenient for certain people in different time zones, but there's only so much that can be done about that. I also think that the game and story/mode/goal/whatever being raced should be decided at least two or three days before the actual race takes place to give people more notice as to what the race is going to be (so they can maybe do a practice run or prepare themselves or whatever). In my opinion people would feel more comfortable knowing what's going to be raced before (as TimpZ pointed out) the last minute. If a race takes place every Saturday, people will still have four or five days to vote and two or three days notice as to what the race will be. And I'm all for the race coordinators making front-page posts to raise awareness for the races :D
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2012, 04:07:04 pm »
You know, I suggested some times and made a list =P
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »
But having at the same time is bad. WE NEED to base it around the racers, who are confirmed to be racing to be honest.

Offline SB737

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:51 am »
so are we racing SA2 this weekend?
and if so does it have to be the HD version?
I propose we start between 8 and 9pm (GMT) that's 3-4pm US time I think.

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)

Offline Cream147

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 06:30:45 am »
so are we racing SA2 this weekend?
and if so does it have to be the HD version?

Yes, and to my knowledge, no.

Offline SB737

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2012, 08:21:35 am »
ive never speed run that game so i'll come last :P

Offline Cream147

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »

I'm no speed demon at it, I'm sure you'll compete with me.

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:25 pm »

don't worry i can't speed run ANYTHING and i'll be there, so you'll definitely not be last

Offline SB737

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2012, 04:02:09 am »
so have we got a time?

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:38 am »
so have we got a time?

i think the past couple times its been 5pm est, i don't know if that's still the case

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:24 am »
We should have probably already set the time and goal. We shouldn't really procrastinate like this.
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 08:00:03 am »
I'm sorry, is there a big race this weekend for one of the most popular speedrunned Sonic games? Date, time, version differences rulings, category, how to join, hype etc etc etc?

I think I know why race night fails...

Offline flying fox

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 09:59:50 am »
If you read the earlier posts you would know that tonight is SA2B. The time never changed, so it's still 5pm EDT, 10pm BST/GMT/whatever and 7am AEST. Also you guys wanted to try it Umbreon's way, which was decide on the goal before you raced.

You really need to read the posts people >_>

Edit: The reason nothing got posted is because I have been too busy this week what with RPG's birthday and other stuff.

Offline SB737

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »
can it be changed to 4pm est - thats more convenient, 10pm is much too late for me, that extra hour earlier makes a big difference

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2012, 01:29:23 pm »
Yeah, that's news to me; I was expecting to settle down with NiGHTS HD tonight. I also planned dinner after 5 PM. >_>
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Print

Hits: 266 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.27 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.