don't click here

Post-Xmas Streaming

Print

Author Topic: Post-Xmas Streaming  (Read 80022 times)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Post-Xmas Streaming
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »
After the TSC Marathon ended, we talked about the possibility of a smaller event just after Christmas (about the only time that our audience would have time off from school and the like). With November starting, we need to plan now or never if we want it to happen, and if we think that it shouldn't happen, that should be addressed too.

(Front-page viewers, click the comment counter to keep reading.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:44:46 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Xmas Mini-Marathon?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:11 pm »
Overview
The rough ideas that I had before were for a short marathon from December 27 to 30, from 5 PM to 10 PM EST as opposed to the 2 to 10 runs from before. We can use the extra three hours for bonus streams beforehand if so desired, taking donations again for those (as they were the number one donation driver last time), and still have after-hours streams if people donate and request them. We need to be careful in our game choices if we want these streams to be a regular occurrence, being sure not to wear out our options: good choices would be games that we didn't run last time, games that were extremely popular with viewers and will always be, and games that weren't viewed much because of scheduling mishaps (e.g., Ristar and NiGHTS caught some viewers off-guard by starting at 1 PM instead of 2 PM).

We should be able to put this together without the eight months of planning the other marathon needed, as we already know who's capable of streaming and nobody can use the excuse "well I didn't think it would actually happen!" to screw up the planning.

Driving Donations
As stated, the most donations last year were for bonus streams. We could try planning them beforehand and putting them and their required donation totals on the schedule. We also had people ask about donation-based raffles for prizes, which is something I'm open to. I think that digital prizes would work best (gifting games via Virtual Console, for example), but if anybody wants to handle shipping physical prizes, that can be done too. A few people asked about art as prizes such as at SDA's marathons, but I think that is more up to TSC's artists than myself: I only know of Quartz, PPA, and sonikku as good artists, and I think sonikku will be wrapped up making pictures for SDA.

We can have people split up their donations for different things via the comments section in ChipIn, e.g., somebody donates $25 and puts $3 of it towards a game raffle, $12 towards an art raffle, and the remainder towards a bonus stream. We need to keep in touch with donators about what they want, as some donations appeared late last year.

Games
This year's only new game will be Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, and given how well the prequel's stream went, I consider that a definite must. That was followed by Puyo, which had a big crowd but messy organization; I'm okay doing this again only if we can get it organized better and only if the interest is shown beforehand instead of on the day of the event. Tails' Skypatrol was popular last year and is probably a must for the lulz, but Mr. Skypatrol Guy has said that he probably won't be participating in this marathon. A bunch of us have begun playing Sonic Robo Blast 2 online again (myself, RPG, sonikku, Werey, Hyper, and sometimes flying fox), and between the vanilla game and the two biggest fan mods, we can probably find some content here.

Other games that should be played are more obvious (Genesis Sonic games, Adventure series, etc.).

Setting Up the Streams
We had hiccups last year when it came time to actually stream. I'll again be asking for a quality test from everybody that I haven't seen consistently stream well. I ask that self-advertising be contained to the start and end of a person's segments, as we had to see a lot of self-promoting stream borders last time. Any border or marquee or the like should be plugging the charity more than plugging oneself. I'm okay with a picture or two surrounding the stream, but keep it Sonic-related and clean.

Picking a Charity
We had some complaints that Child's Play was about comforting the ill rather than fixing problems. I personally see no issue with this, but if anybody has a charity that means something to them, please speak up.

Please contribute your own thoughts. I'll be leaving for a shift at work, and will check on things after I return if I get back early enough, or tomorrow if not.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:03:53 pm by Thorn »

Offline SB737

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:03:57 pm »
i think we should have generations for definite
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 07:52:07 pm »
Heh.. I have lotza ideas.. I think..
Anyways... I say we have a small race built into the stream. Like a mini TSC Race Night.
I also say that we should have people with modern (like 2011/2012) computers, as they can process better and allow for better quality streaming without major slowdown or crashes.
Game List
Puyo
Transformed
Generations
06 woot woot
Adventures of course
Genesis games
I put in a vote for Ristar
Maybe NiGHTS
The heck, maybe throw in a storybook (Black Knight isn't as boring as Secret Rings, so that would have viewers)
Now on to other things you mentioned. I suggest a charity for modern genocide or cancer. My grandpa and my best friend both died of cancer, so that's something I want to do. For modern genocide, we can pledge to make bones for the One Million Bones thing. If we get so many donations, we could put that money towards clay to make these bones. I might be able to get my art teacher to fire up a kiln or whatever. She really supports this.Hey, I can draw Shadow very well, so I might be able to do art requests.
Last thing, I SO CALL STREAMING (part of) 06!!!
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:50:06 am »
I'd like to speak to the complaints about Child's Play. For a lot of these kids, illness is all they've known. They sit in hospital rooms all day fearing bad news and don't really have what we'd consider a normal upbringing. I think it's important not to downplay the psychological aspect that this kind of thing brings on, especially at that age.

Obviously this is a sensitive issue and I don't mean to rag on any charities that we might be considering as alternatives, but taking into account who we are I think Child's Play is a good fit and potential donors will sympathize with the cause more.

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:49:10 am »
We need some suggestions for raffle prizes! I'll collect all the suggestions in this topic, and later I'll post a poll to determine the top 5-10 prizes to offer. (Note that I'm looking for physical prizes here, not stuff like points codes or Steam gifts.)

Here's some possible ideas:

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:52:07 am »
cake

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Cream147

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:20:23 am »
The idea that comforting the ill isn't a worthwhile cause is not one I can possibly sign up to. I'm happy with most charities but I certainly don't object to Child's Play. It's one of those charities where the amount of money we can raise will make a genuine difference to individual's lives.

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:42:44 am »
First of all, I think that we should donate the proceeds of this marathon (if it goes ahead) to Child's Play once again, as we are a gaming community (so the charity ties in quite well with our theme) and it would be a good investment on the whole. DarkAura has mentioned donating to a cancer or genocide charity, and these would also be worthwhile options (however I personally think that a cancer charity would attract more donations). If we pick two charities for example, people can pick which charity they would like their money to go to.

In terms of prizes, there are plenty of options available, and I think plushies, toys and games would be the most popular items (although games are system specific). A raffle would work well but items and shipping costs would have to be judged in advance in order to make a decent profit for charity. I'll be quite busy in the upcoming term, and I'll be away for Christmas, but I'm not a terrible artist and I am happy to possibly contribute some pictures (I have a scanner after all, and I can install GIMP or something for editing). Digital prizes would be more cost effective, but possibly less popular than tangible products. I guess time will tell.

Also, from what I've seen, a good handful of players want to stream, so hopefully TSC can pull this one off successfully. After all, the site has experience from the Summer marathon.

StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:47 pm »
I get the feeling that a few people think I am forcing the marathon to donate to a charity other than Child's Play. I had said that I don't have an issue with Child's Play; I am simply stating sentiments of some other people that commented on our cause, and I am more than happy to continue to direct our donations there.

EDIT: Fuck it; I've removed the statement from the original post. We shouldn't be swayed from our cause just because others don't see the worth.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 02:03:27 pm »
I definitely think that we should donate to Child's Play again, although I am unsure whether I will be able to donate towards this marathon. I guess we need to hear more from the streamers and, most importantly, the viewers, with respect to where they want their money to go.
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

Offline GerbilSoft

• TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 02:18:14 pm »
A raffle would work well but items and shipping costs would have to be judged in advance in order to make a decent profit for charity.
I wasn't planning on using donations to fund the raffle.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »
So the raffle and the charity aren't linked?

Offline GerbilSoft

• TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 02:44:13 pm »
So the raffle and the charity aren't linked?
You will have to donate to the charity in order to enter the raffle, but the funding isn't linked.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »
So it's like an incentive for people to donate?

Offline GerbilSoft

• TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 02:59:05 pm »
So it's like an incentive for people to donate?
Now you're getting it. :)

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »
So, when someone wins a raffle, do they get a prize?

* danieldude shot

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 08:12:39 pm »
No daniel. They get the feeling of winning a luck based event.

Anyways... So is it Child's Play or something else.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 08:18:51 pm »
wereycar donation funds

Offline Parax

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »
I'm not actually sure we should do this. I believe Thorn said a couple people wouldn't be available because of AGDQ, and I dunno, the timing just seems weird.

For the record I don't think school/university is actually that big of an issue (as that was Thorn's reasoning for why we couldn't move it back a couple weeks), as there's already a lot of different marathons going on constantly (the Speedrun Spooktacular just wrapped up and there's another marathon going on at numbersmw.com right now), and none of them seem to be having trouble getting either participants or viewers.

In any case, if we do, I'm up for 06 and Generations, as I'll be practicing both of those for AGDQ anyway. I'd actually really like to do all three stories in 06 as I'm going to be practicing all three of them but since AGDQ is a donation war for story choice, I'm not going to actually get to run all three. :P

And yeah, prizes are a must for drawing donations. I'd suggest throwing in the Generations soundtrack as a physical prize, as almost every song in it is amazing and it's a pretty sweet musical celebration of Sonic's entire 20-year history. :P

I also think that this time we should consider having it run 24 hours a day, but meh.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 11:03:45 pm »
24 hour would be shit without and IRL meet up because we'd someone up at all hours (when that may or may not be possible) to maintain and switch over streams and dsutff

Offline Parax

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »
Every day we streamed far longer than we planned during the last marathon anyway. I think a 24-hour stream is necessary to maintain momentum through the whole thing.

Offline GerbilSoft

• TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 11:07:38 pm »
I'd suggest throwing in the Generations soundtrack as a physical prize, as almost every song in it is amazing and it's a pretty sweet musical celebration of Sonic's entire 20-year history. :P
Sonic OSTs are always ridiculously expensive unless you get them right when they're released, since Sega never manufactures enough copies. A download prize would probably be more appropriate for this. Sega has published a few OSTs on iTunes, but Generations hasn't been published yet.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:37:30 am by GerbilSoft »

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 05:03:19 am »
P.P.A. needs to make funny TSC comics for prizes!!

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »
A continuous marathon (as Umbreon suggested) has additional issues to consider, even if the marathon's not very long:
(1) Unless Thorn can stay up for 1-2 days straight, there would need to be at least 1 or 2 other people willing to run the show in his absence.  Preferably at least 2 others, in case sleep and availability don't work out perfectly as planned.
(2) Going around the clock could make it a bit harder to have commentators and runners available at any given time.  It depends on how many participants are non-US, though.

The lesser availability of AGDQ attendants could be an issue; in particular, Sylux and DsS covered a lot of games last time.  But at the same time, there are plenty of people not attending AGDQ, and this mini-marathon would be another thing for them to look forward to.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 02:06:39 pm »
The lesser availability of AGDQ attendants could be an issue; in particular, Sylux and DsS covered a lot of games last time.  But at the same time, there are plenty of people not attending AGDQ, and this mini-marathon would be another thing for them to look forward to.

The reason I couldn't help at all last time was because I had no PC at all. However I have one now, so I can stream from the desktop and I have faster internet too. Plus I have a proper headset so no strange noises coming from my end. From the 28th I'll be at RPG's for New Year's which means bang goes my normal sleeping pattern, so I'll be around during the later streams. This would mean that any streaming from the console (I still need to sort this out) I would have to do it on the 27th because I don't think I'll be able to do it at RPG's. But yeah you can count me in this time to help out :o

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 02:09:25 pm »
A few things,
1) I'm not in... whatever that other stream thing is. I don't even know what
2) I will stream anything (except for SADX, as shown in the race night) if anyone can't participate.
3) I can stay up. I have to study for midterms anyways so it won't hurt much.
4) We should give away those Sonic sheets and comforters. Many people are either at college or school so they have small beds that fit the sheets size and stuff.
5) I say we do that skype thing again.
6) I call being in the skype chat.
7) The race that would be going on that Sunday should be in the stream.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 02:13:10 pm »
I propose eveyrone gets ASR:T and we can all race it online together. 10 players online, that's 10 players at once!

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:54 pm »
If you want I could do some S3&K. I'm thinking Sonic 100% for lulz and since it hasn't been done before. I got around 1:30 without any practise so I guess I could go down to about 1:20 without much trouble. I could also do Sonic 2 (usually get 26-29 minutes) if you want but there might be other people better suited for that.

If a marathon happens, I know there are a lot of people who know -a lot- about the games they're playing and I'd love some technical and trivia talk during the runs if possible. Come to think of it, some kind of chat game where people can give answers to trivia questions (stuff that can't be googled in 2 minutes) might be fun if we can find a way to do it in a nicely. Perhaps a nice way to round it off towards the end.

Depending on the date I could probably help with management quite a bit if needed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:43:58 pm by TimpZ »

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 10:06:09 pm »
Okay. I can definitely put my hand up here.

As most of you know I am all the way over in Aussie Land so I could help cover some of the odd-hours commentary/donation-wise if you guys are serious about gunning 24 hours.

As for what I can do, Unwiished of course (and if FBM or FF don't want to take up the mantle I suppose I could do SCD11 as well). Unwiished happens to have lots and LOTS of little tricks and battle skips to talk about, so the commentary wouldn't just be "Ok....ok.....ok....ok good".

Biggest problem with this is the fact that a full game run borders on 4 hours, would probably be better to slot 4:30 just to be safe. I mean if it's going to be a 3-4 day event running 24/7 then I guess it isn't much of an issue.

As for stream quality testing, I am getting both a Dazzle AND better internet come December. I mean I suppose you could go look at the SCD11 streams I did back in the day http://www.twitch.tv/crypticjacknife/b/306959395 but as I said my net is going to get much better in the near future, so if you want the Unwiished quality test you are going to need to wait a bit.

In the very least I know I can help with commentary. You know how to hit me up if you have questions.

Print

Hits: 1,569 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.28 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.