don't click here

Lavender Town Myths

Print

Author Topic: Lavender Town Myths  (Read 38340 times)

Offline DarkAura

Lavender Town Myths
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:01:34 pm »
Earlier today I was playing through the original Red and I saw Gary in the Lavender Town building thing without his Raticate. He seemed to be paying his respects there for it. I looked around to see if this was true and I found a video by JWittz (I believe. He does Pokemon Facts of the day) and he brought up a lot about different myths of Lavender Town. What have you encountered? What are your opinions on these myths?

Let me give some things to talk about.
1) There is the Buried Alive myth. There is a cheat where you meet a corpse. You either freeze the game when beating him, or you get a game over with a scary caption that deletes your data (then freezes)
2) Gary's Raticate
3) The ghost
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:15:41 pm by DarkAura »
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

Offline ingx24

Re: Lavender Town Myths
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:19:40 pm »
Yeah, lavender town has spawned a ton of urban legends because of how out of place it is in the game. One thing that is true is that the original japanese red and green games had slightly higher pitches in the lavender town music at some points. The pitches were lowered most likely because of noise distortion when using headphones, but an urban legend somehow surfaced that the high pitches caused tons of japanese children to go insane and commit suicide. Talk about blown out of proportion :P

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:23:23 pm »
I read about that! That creeped me out a bit. There also is this myth where if you put it into that thing where you see those lines go up and down depending on the pitch (please tell me what it's called) you see the ghost and Unown that spell out something like "Run now". It was proven false but I got scared.

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:30:34 am »
Extra extra, get the full story here!

‘The Lavender Town Syndrome’ is another one of those daft Creepypasta tales (which we all knew was going to come about sooner or later) that popped up a couple of years ago on Pastebin. Before then, gamers were discussing the eerie theme of the graveyard town on Serebii and NintendoWorlds.net, and a remix emerged in early 2010 trying to ‘intensify the spookiness’. As ingx24 has already said, the original music is only present in the Japanese versions of Red and Green, as it was changed in the US version released two years later; this was also a point of discussion, and although the change was most likely done to prevent sound distortion, the creepypasta media suggests otherwise...

At any rate, it’s all hokum for shits and giggles, but there you go – I personally don’t see the creepy element of the song, but maybe that’s just me <_<

Good luck avoiding the ghooooost... O.O
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline PsyMar

• Really going to play Sonic again. Someday.
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:03 am »
Just use a clefairy doll on the damn ghost.  Then you don't even need the silph scope.
Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, whadda you do? Walk past it.

"When you're going through hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »
Here's a creepy topic I'd like to talk about.
Buried Alive
Search it and bring back your results and share your opinions. It's quite creepy.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:27:09 pm »
There was an excellent part in Saints Row 2 where you bury some crime boss' son alive in a cemetary because he's a dick, it was a good mission!
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »
RPG, that mission is undeniably awesome (as is Saint’s Row 2 on the whole ^_^). Anyway, back on topic...

I hate to be a party pooper DarkAura, but the Buryman script, as proved by hacking, is not present in either the Red or Green game ROM (or any official Pokemon ROM for that matter). Although I didn’t find it ‘creepy’ as such, the Creepypasta about the Buried Alive Model is pretty good and well written (get the full story here about halfway down the page), and does have a spooky air to it.

inb4 DarkAura's going to become a Creepypasta addict!
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »

Offline DBG

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:59 am »
Them crazy myths.

And there were thoses about Creepy Black and Lost Silver and stuff.

But yeah, I've heard of the Lavender Town ones.
You can't beat me! I AM DABESTGAMER!!!
www.youtube.com/user/dabestgamer

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:45 am »
Why is it always Japanese and Chinese and otherrse that kill them selves over video games? Like seriously. On another note, this topic is interesting but I don't want to go here in game anymore in case Jeff the killer is there and i  shit myself

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:12 am »
Also Daniel, I find myself reading creepy pasta quite often these days. But after seeing suicidal squidward, I have never watched a full SpongeBob episode. Or, when I see him I think fuck he's creepy.

Offline DBG

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:39:31 am »
Why is it always Japanese and Chinese and otherrse that kill them selves over video games? Like seriously. On another note, this topic is interesting but I don't want to go here in game anymore in case Jeff the killer is there and i  shit myself

Who?

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 01:09:01 pm »
Who?

Do yourself a good favor and don't fritter away your time Googling that crap.

Why is it always Japanese and Chinese and otherrse that kill them selves over video games? Like seriously.

That explains why my Chinese neighbor inexplicably vanished shortly after I gave him a Japanese copy of Pokemon Red for his birthday...

Also Daniel, I find myself reading creepy pasta quite often these days. But after seeing suicidal squidward, I have never watched a full SpongeBob episode. Or, when I see him I think fuck he's creepy.

PLEASE TELL ME YOU’RE NOT BEING SERIOUS.

PLEASE.

That is all.

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »
I just listened to the original Lavender Town mix. I NEARLY KILLED MYSELF. I can relate. It gave me a headache.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 01:24:34 pm »
I just listened to the original Lavender Town mix. I NEARLY KILLED MYSELF. I can relate. It gave me a headache.

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS NOT NEGATIVELY AFFECTED BY THIS TUNE?!!?

Offline DBG

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 01:55:23 pm »

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS NOT NEGATIVELY AFFECTED BY THIS TUNE?!!?

Heard it. Didn't do anything more than barely irritate me.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »
Oh look, another Danieldude lie. or lame ass joke.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:40 pm »
Oh look, another Danieldude lie. or lame ass joke.

Oh look, another pointless post from Werey. XD
Also, make up your mind!

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 04:36:11 pm »
Well it's either a lie or the worst joke in history. Because u

Offline ingx24

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »
I literally cannot hear any difference between the 2 lavender town themes (japanese and american). Maybe I'm not sensitive enough to high pitches but they seriously sound identical to me.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 04:59:04 pm »
Try listening to them both again carefully, with a decent pair of headphones - although the differences are subtle, there are noticeable higher frequencies present in the original version.

Offline ingx24

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 05:00:53 pm »
Is it just the same notes played at a higher pitch? Or are there more notes?

Offline Cream147

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 07:01:25 pm »
My opinion on Lavender Town is that it is the most overhyped thing in the whole Pokémon series. My childhood was not deeply affected by it, the tune was nice and atmospheric - I didn't find it scary at all. The whole Pokémon graveyard thing was like, yeah whatever.

Honestly, the two biggest ways this place affected me were:

1) I was joyous to see it because thank goodness the Rock Tunnel was over
2) I hated it 10 seconds later when I realised I needed the Silph Scope which meaned doing the really irritating Silph Co. section. If only I'd have known the Pokédoll trick. Climbing the tower itself was irritating as well.

So yeah, I guess Lavender was just a minor inconvenience to me. So many more memorable things from Red/Blue.

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:51 pm »
ben drowned

also swag
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:32 pm »
Is it just the same notes played at a higher pitch? Or are there more notes?

Listen out intently for hidden binary noises around 0:30 to 0:36 and 1:00 to 1:06 in the original version. If you can't hear them, your ears are most likely fully developed. The original version had the pitch set an octave too high - just outside of the normal hearing range for adults, but not the 7 to 12 age range the game was aimed at. (Props to 'KingStarscream' and 'Non-existant Fire Key' from Bulbapedia for the info.)

Offline slade23

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 04:58:40 pm »
Lavender Town Theme to FULLLLLLLLLLLLLL EFFIN BLAST!!!!!!!! like for example, put on Great Quality sound headphones and put it to MAX Volume. Wow imagine the horror   

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »
Lavender Town Theme to FULLLLLLLLLLLLLL EFFIN BLAST!!!!!!!! like for example, put on Great Quality sound headphones and put it to MAX Volume. Wow imagine the horror

I do not wish to envisage the ghastly horror of bursting my eardrums! XP

Offline ingx24

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »
I still can't hear any difference. Is there an extra sound in the original version of the song? Or is it the same sound at a much higher pitch? I can't hear anything extra at all between the two versions.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »
I still can't hear any difference. Is there an extra sound in the original version of the song? Or is it the same sound at a much higher pitch? I can't hear anything extra at all between the two versions.

The original version had the pitch set an octave too high

^ At least this is what the guy on Bulbapedia said. ^_^

Print

Hits: 329 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.24 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.