don't click here

Sonic the Fighters Rule Clarification

Print

Author Topic: Sonic the Fighters Rule Clarification  (Read 14797 times)

Offline Chawkk

Sonic the Fighters Rule Clarification
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:04:26 am »
I just wanted to get some clarification on the rule "* Default settings must be used (best-of-three fights, 30 seconds per fight, 5 barriers)."

It says default settings must be used and in parentheses only mentions 3 of the game settings. I would assume this means that ALL default settings should be used. But, if I were to read the rule in a different way, I might think that there is nothing stopping me from using easy opponents instead of a normal enemy rank as well as allowing automatic mode (which might be better, haven't tested it though...).

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Sonic the Fighters Rule Clarification
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:04:14 am »
That's a good question actually; it's been some time since I touched Fighters (or logged into TSC for that matter) and I'm no admin, but I'm fairly certain that as the rule states "Default settings must be used", ALL of the settings must be left on default, including the others that you mentioned -- it's only logical in terms of fair competition right? If this is the case then an admin should modify the rules so that the other settings are encompassed in the parentheses, and post for clarification.
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Chawkk

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:15:47 pm »
*crickets

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:08 am »
^ Seriously, this gets old fast. If y'all need me to step back in and handle rulings, then I'll gladly do it. But we've got this and one other rules revisions thread that sort of need attention and aren't getting it. It shouldn't take weeks into months to get things done around here and one thing I've always done well was getting these types of things settled.

So, please, either react to these threads sooner or let me do it. I'll always have the free time in the mornings to handle this.

Offline Parax

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:25 am »
I have no knowledge of Sonic the Fighters whatsoever. I haven't done anything about this because I'm waiting for the community to come to a consensus on what the rule should say, which it seems to me hasn't happened yet.

Offline Chawkk

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:00:25 pm »
Personally, I think someone should add the world "all" in front of default since I think this makes the most sense for the game. However, I'm still split opinion-wise because for all I know, someone might have already tweaked other game settings in their times. In this case, simply changing it to something like, "You must use best-of-three fights, 30 seconds per fight, and 5 barriers" would work. Either way will work from a gameplay standpoint. Heck, you could probably even add more categories for certain settings if you really wanted to.

Offline Zip

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:03:25 pm »
well. hi guys i don't comment much here, but in the general rules this is stated.

* Common sense applies in all games. If something seems iffy, you probably should not be doing it. Or at least check with someone before you do. Note that if a new rule is enacted, anything already submitted in violation of that rule is void.

this part should answer the question

"If something seems iffy, you probably should not be doing it."

so I think that if it says default settings, it's for all of them.
I hope this helps :)

Offline Chawkk

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25:04 pm »
well. hi guys i don't comment much here, but in the general rules this is stated.

* Common sense applies in all games. If something seems iffy, you probably should not be doing it. Or at least check with someone before you do. Note that if a new rule is enacted, anything already submitted in violation of that rule is void.

this part should answer the question

"If something seems iffy, you probably should not be doing it."

so I think that if it says default settings, it's for all of them.
I hope this helps :)

That's pretty much why I'm posting. It would seem iffy to muck with other settings and I haven't yet so I came here to ask before doing so. But, it also seems strange and not at all common sense from my point of view to NOT state "all" settings and only list three of them.

Offline Parax

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:29:42 pm »
I think that general rule is more to handle things like loopholes. This seems like the kind of case where it's important to fix the rule regardless at any rate, because it's not a situation where one thing is obviously wrong, but rather the rule is worded strangely enough that it's a bit confusing to tell what settings you're actually supposed to be using.

It'd be good to hear from some StF players on this.

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:12:04 am »
I've recently been trying my own hand at StF, and I'm confused about a few things:

1) Is Automatic allowed? There's an option for either manual or automatic as soon as you select your character. Technically, there is no real default and both manual and automatic have their advantages. Manual can be better for certain fights and automatic for others. It also depends on the character. In Automatic, you can't do certain moves (this really shows as Espio). In Manual, you can do those moves, but certain moves might be easier to pull off in Automatic (Bark is a good example). Personally, I think both should be allowed but it's up to the admins. It's sorta like manual and automatic in the Mario Kart games.

2) Is the XBLA version allowed? It's the only version I own.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:18:04 pm by FocusSight64 »
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Print

Hits: 1,176 | Hits This Month: 6 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.