don't click here

Gathering thoughts and general ideas for the improvement of TSC

Print

Author Topic: Gathering thoughts and general ideas for the improvement of TSC  (Read 23391 times)

Offline Don

So since everybody is probably tired of that old thread by now, here's a new one.
If you have anything you want to improve TSC with and rally people for, go ahead.
This is your new chance to maybe change something in TSC, or at least attempt to start changing it.

Offline Don

Re: Gathering thoughts and general ideas for the improvement of TSC
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:34:40 am »
As of the last thread, Hyper's biggest suggestion was having more activity on TSC to promote further improvements of the site.

I will say as much that, experimentally, I will start submitting starts starting today. Daily. Between 1-3 stats, maybe more if i even feel like it. If I forget a day or two, i'll submit twice or thrice as much in the following day. Anybody else who wants to join in is welcome.

Just because there's some disagreeing here and there doesn't mean that ideas can't pay off. But this will have to be a group effort, or else it will fail.

If you think this suggestion doesnt fit well with you, then I have another one. Make June another "TSC Month" to promote more activity there!

Offline InferSaime

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 08:17:32 am »
I think TSC should use their social media accounts a bit more often like twitter, yt, twitch etc. There isn't much with twitch that you could improve as the twitch team is already used and still relevant (I hear about it on skype). Maybe the TSC twitch page could host like a bi-weekly tutorial for sonic games.
For the twitter maybe tweeting out specific videos about sonic competing/speedrunning or tweeting out sonic games races tat happen on SRL, also the bot tweets are kinda annoying imo but I guess it would make sense to have them?
I have no idea what the youtube account could be used but it might be good to archive the twitch streams/highlights.
These could attract more people which in turn might help with future improvements to the site.

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:12 am »
Why not add some newer games, like the two Sonic Boom games & some more of the mobile games? I'll use SJF (Sonic Jump Fever) as my example here.

I realize that probably not many of the big players on the site would want to play this, but there are potentially new members out there that will want or already have been. There's definitely plenty of chart possibilities, for both SA & RA charts. (SA is the whole point of the game anyway) There's 4 different zones the game cycles through, a new one each day, so there would be SA & RA charts for each of the characters for all 4 zones, since some zones are better than others for each category. If that's too many charts it can be condensed to SA & RA charts for all the different characters. (P.S. See my other thread "Pioneering RA in the mobile game SJF" to get an idea on how this is possible, since you're probably thinking "RA in an endless jumper? What?" Hint: endless jumper my ass, it's far from endless)

I don't know when the last time we had a game added was, but I think adding some new games could help drive competition from some new players.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:39:13 am by AmyRoseFan »
Rings are my specialty.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:01:37 pm »
Try holding a competition on something only tangentially related to TSC to broaden people's interests a bit. Hold a level design contest again, as that was really fun last time; hell, I'm willing to help provide a base game to build on. Play Mean Bean Machine online—no, I won't compete and ruin the fun. Compete in some modes in Sonic Robo Blast 2. Just organize whatever you're doing on these forums or in the site's IRC instead of in Skype groups. If you guys find something you have in common besides just speedrunning, you'll have another dynamic on which to base some community interactions, and you won't need to toss speedrunning aside completely to do it.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 02:28:57 am »
Adding new games I think would start at least a little spark, but we'd need a bigger change than that to spark activity on TSC. Look at SLW. I mean, yes, it did spark a bit of competition, but not enough. What Thorn said could actually help spark a lot of general activity on TSC.
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Offline DGF

• WildCard Speedster
  • TSC: DarkGravityFlames
  • win10 chrome
  • Code S.O.L, Azure Grimrore ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:29 pm »
This Topic kinda sparked my interest. This is just an idea, have you considered adding mods (mostly popular ones, like unleashed Project) as possible competition for sonic games. I'm only bringing this up mainly because i see a lot of speedruns of youtube, twitch, etc and that the mod community seems to really enjoy that people are competing on their mods. Again, this is just a thought
My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9TztQrHz0nwzfSZZFoYOVA
PSN = ChaosKnight_56
Steam: TerumiTrueAzure

Championship(s) Held: Sonic Generations
Current Records: Overdrift Challenge , Terror from the Deep, Death egg robot (Hard), Vector's Mission

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 02:17:16 pm »
This Topic kinda sparked my interest. This is just an idea, have you considered adding mods (mostly popular ones, like unleashed Project) as possible competition for sonic games. I'm only bringing this up mainly because i see a lot of speedruns of youtube, twitch, etc and that the mod community seems to really enjoy that people are competing on their mods. Again, this is just a thought
This actually reminds me of a ROM hack of Sonic 2. Basically it's a time attack mod where you can pick any level from level select and race it with a clock that has centiseconds instead of the traditional 9:59 timer. Download link & info here: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_2_Time_Attack
Could find out who's really the fastest...
Rings are my specialty.

Offline theultimategamer95

• Your typical speed runner
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • I am the ultimate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »
I personally think mods, fangames and single segment charts (though we do actually have speedrun.com for that) would be a good idea. Just my opinion though.
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/theultimategamer95

My PSN = greatgamer83

My Skype = theultimategamer95

Offline Starlight_Glimmer

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 12:39:06 am »
I think TSC should use their social media accounts a bit more often like twitter, yt, twitch etc.

Why not add some newer games, like the two Sonic Boom games & some more of the mobile games? I'll use SJF (Sonic Jump Fever) as my example here.

Try holding a competition on something only tangentially related to TSC to broaden people's interests a bit. Hold a level design contest again, as that was really fun last time; hell, I'm willing to help

Adding new games I think would start at least a little spark

have you considered adding mods (mostly popular ones, like unleashed Project) as possible competition for sonic games.

TL;DR good ideas

^ well, actually I scold that last comment, but with proper and clear rules written it would be ok. all of these suggestions need to be backed by a new proof system first to work porperly though. ( with exception to TSC using their social media).

I know, I know, look how unpopular SRL and SDA is for requiring proof, the waves of ppl leaving them is staggering. (they only raise a mil+ on marathons? ha what losers) but we need to cave on this issue.
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 01:38:41 am »
Okay, so I just had a lightbulb go off in my head. We should host a Sonic game based Olympics. and no, I do not mean the Mario & Sonic Olympic game titles.

I just thought of this, and I'm basing it off the CODZ forum that does a summer Olympics every year based around challenges in the Call of Duty zombies series. So basically what I'm thinking is we pick some games and we set up challenges for each of them, one for each round of the Olympics.

It'll work like a tournament essentially. There'll be a bracket, and your position on said bracket will be determined during a preliminary round. So let's say there's 10 entries in the preliminary. In turn, the highest ranking player faces the lowest ranking player in the first round, the 2nd highest faces the second lowest, and so on. Then, the winners of the first round advance to the second, the winners of the second advance, and this keeps going until there is only one player left standing, in which they will become the winner. You can add a prize here for the winner, but I think the feeling of pride you'd get from winning the TSC Olympics would be enough, lol.

Something like this really does need a way to prove your stats though, so that'll be an issue. You'd have to verify in some way that you got your stat in whatever challenge you were doing. I'd appreciate some feedback on this or if anyone wants to expand on this that would be much appreciated.
Rings are my specialty.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 08:59:18 pm »
I hate to burst your bubble, but you're about ten years late.

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 01:02:27 am »
I hate to burst your bubble, but you're about ten years late.
Who says we can't do another one? It doesn't have to be a one time thing you know.
"Everything old can be made new again."
-Effie Trinket, Hunger Games, Mockingjay Part 1
Rings are my specialty.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:13 am »
Why have olympics the greeks did it 2000 years ago that's sooo 5th century BC.

Offline TheRealShadnic

• TheRealShadnic
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Hi! I am HC Sonic-fan, finally competing here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »
I think one thing that might spark up interest in competition is some kind of stat advisor, which tells you which stats are your worst in game. Like Anti-records, except it tells them no matter what. It would also suggest stats you are close to improving your rank (like 5 ppl in 5 second frame on this level)! At least it helps and motivates me a lot on PS Trophies, as some sites have this kind of Advisors based on the percentage of people who have got the one in question.

Also I like other ideas thrown here and support in helping the site fix, I'm finally back for speedrunning mood and ready to take on challenges :D Also Olympics or sth would be fun, you could create teams and play with these people :P Of course that's not fully TSC thing, but they would have leaderboards and such here.
FIRST ONE TO GET PLATINUM IN SONIC GENERATIONS!!!!

Offline DGF

• WildCard Speedster
  • TSC: DarkGravityFlames
  • win10 chrome
  • Code S.O.L, Azure Grimrore ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 05:12:19 pm »
Have you guys ever considered making forums that could spread the news on TSC (mainly reddit, im sure we all know their reputation). I say that because they could be some potential competitors on this sites if we are persistent enough
My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9TztQrHz0nwzfSZZFoYOVA
PSN = ChaosKnight_56
Steam: TerumiTrueAzure

Championship(s) Held: Sonic Generations
Current Records: Overdrift Challenge , Terror from the Deep, Death egg robot (Hard), Vector's Mission

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 05:21:31 am »
Maybe we could do a weekly or monthly ranking thing like whoever takes the most records in a week sitewide could get a feature on the homepage. Everyone would want to be on the homepage and it could maybe spark some more competition. Say "Champion of the Week/Month"?

I don't know, just a thought

~Liam (triple)

Offline TheRealShadnic

• TheRealShadnic
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 08:34:32 am »
I have one idea. If someone could do like TSC gamercards to use in forum's signatures etc! That may spark up some people's interest :) It could have your account name, sitewide ranking and best game ranks. It could also have custom/choose-a-game background, and amount of records and awards you have. Could someone with better drawing skills than me make a picture about this :p

Offline TheRealShadnic

• TheRealShadnic
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 08:47:10 am »
Yeah, that sort :D

Print

Hits: 279 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.