don't click here

Regarding PC Recording

Print

Author Topic: Regarding PC Recording  (Read 9731 times)

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
Regarding PC Recording
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:04:59 pm »
For the past few years I've been experimenting with patches to some of the Genesis Sonic games to allow custom music and I'm interested in putting up long-play videos of the soundtracks I came up with, but recording them is a whole other matter. Outputting via cables to my DVD recorder seems cost-prohibitive, so I'm leaning towards direct recording, and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations as far as software they use for capture.

The three criteria I'm looking for, in descending order of importance, is that it (1) runs and records smoothly on my computer, which is fairly old and has "only" 2 GB of RAM, (2) is inexpensive, ideally free, and (3) doesn't throw watermarks all over the screen. It would also need to be able to capture from both emulators (for Sonic 1 and 2) and stand-alone programs (specifically the Collection versions of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD). I realize asking for all three I might as well be asking for the secret to cold fusion, but mainly I'm just trying to get an idea of what people use for recording their PC runs.
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline TimpZ

Re: Regarding PC Recording
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:34:14 pm »

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding PC Recording
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:34:25 am »
Boom, that's service. Thank you.

Edit: Aaaaaand can't use it. My laptop runs XP which the software has apparently never been and never will be compatible with in any version. Thanks anyway.

Edit 2: Aaaaaand I figured out another way to do it, although it was hardware-based, not software-based, and it definitely wasn't free. I was cleaning off my even older desktop PC that I haven't really used in almost a decade because it's infected with a virus or malware, when I noticed it had a port for S-Video cable on the back. I hooked that into my DVD recorder, hooked the regular monitor output into my TV, installed the games, and with a 1/8" to RCA audio adaptor I was able to use my DVD recorder to capture the gameplay. Resolution isn't as high as a direct recording and I had to play without audio or deal with horrible lag, but it worked. Gonna put some videos up in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:37:02 pm by SqwareEcks »
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Print

Hits: 355 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 987.14 KB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.