don't click here

Shuffling up the records

Print

Author Topic: Shuffling up the records  (Read 12230 times)

Offline Rolken

Shuffling up the records
« on: September 02, 2004, 06:18:45 pm »
Sometime soon, I'm going to suspend submissions for a day or two to recompile and clean up the database and (finally) open the time machine. So now's a good time to address some things.

Members/times who should be removed from the rankings.

The form of overall rankings. There was overwhelming support for inclusion of score as well as time - so perhaps they could be weighted 2x for times and 1x each for score and rings, or just even for each, or only scores and times, or whatever. Opinions plz.

Which changes should be retroactive. Obviously banned people/times will be removed from the whole database, but overall rankings may be better left on the old system up till the point of changing.

And then there's the Team Blast and SA3 unidivision stuff; for the former, who should be moved, and should that be retroactive too, etc.

And new games... is Sonic Spinball / Sonic Blast / Sonic Pinball Party in demand, despite the fact that two have potentially unlimited scores and the middle has no times because it's crappy?

that is all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 06:20:41 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 06:22:40 pm »
Yay! SADV3 uni-division is finally coming! Anyway, I think Rings should not count towards the rankings, but score should. With rings, you can easily max out (for example, nearly all Chaotix levels) while with score, you actually need to take the effort to do new tricks,kill new enemies, etc.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline SadisticMystic

Shuffling up the records
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 06:34:00 pm »
Spinball and SPP are no good.  Never played Sonic Blast so I can't issue judgment there.

My idea for ranking weight:

3D (SA1/2/Heroes):
Time [cat_weight] = 1
Score = 0.7-0.8
Bosses/karts = 0.8
Rings = 0-0.25

2D (1/2/3/K/CD)
Time = 1
Score = 0.4-0.5
S3TA = 0.9
Rings = 0 (or 0.1 if you feel pity)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 06:34:43 pm by SadisticMystic »

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 10:14:13 pm »
Here's my thoughts on  the ranking system.
In general, score, bosses, and time should have equal weight while rings have slightly less weight. The team blast gltich stuff should be moved rectroactively.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 05:00:10 am »
Spinball and SPP are no good.  Never played Sonic Blast so I can't issue judgment there.

My idea for ranking weight:

3D (SA1/2/Heroes):
Time [cat_weight] = 1
Score = 0.7-0.8
Bosses/karts = 0.8
Rings = 0-0.25

2D (1/2/3/K/CD)
Time = 1
Score = 0.4-0.5
S3TA = 0.9
Rings = 0 (or 0.1 if you feel pity)
[snapback]4455[/snapback]

What's your basis for those?

<3 Thorn.

Shuffling up the records
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 03:46:52 am »
Why not split most games in half so you would have a Time/Extra Champ and a Freestyle/Boss/Ring/Score Champ. Because some people are good at time attack and kinda suck at the rest (me >_>) and some people the other way around. That way you can see who's the best Time attacker and the best Score/Ring attacker.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 06:52:42 am »
I say that all the divisions should be worth points. Individual Champions of each division seems really pointless to me, as most people (this is just an assumption) would want to be the overall champion for a game, not just champion of Boss or something like that.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Rolken

Shuffling up the records
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 01:28:50 pm »
Yeah - I really think the system is about as complex as it ought to get; also everything rpgdude said.

If anything, I think we ought to make the point scheme less complex, as opposed to adding lots of decimal point weights that obfuscate it even further. My general rule of thumb has been that if a competitor needs a calculator to determine the gap between him and another, it's too complicated, and adding all sorts of arbitrary weighting can't help that. At the most, I think we should stick to quarters (.75x, .25x, etc) or something equally obvious.

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 11:32:05 pm »
I agree with RPGnutter, and make rings worth something (although not as much as time/score).
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 07:50:20 am »
Why not split most games in half so you would have a Time/Extra Champ and a Freestyle/Boss/Ring/Score Champ. Because some people are good at time attack and kinda suck at the rest (me >_>) and some people the other way around. That way you can see who's the best Time attacker and the best Score/Ring attacker.
[snapback]4481[/snapback]

Firstly, Freestyle doesn't get any weighting, and rightly so. In most cases the ranks are just a duplication of whatever it's replacing (in most cases time).

Second, however, I agree with the rest of what you say. There are people on this site that have concentrated on time, and others who concentrate on score attack. To merge the two into one ranking is hardly fair to those who don't play the game in both disciplines. However, rings are useless ranks, especially in Sonic Heroes where they can be maxed ridiculously easily.

There needs to be separate Time and Score champions, so each gets the recognition they deserve. However overall rankings are downright silly.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Rolken

Shuffling up the records
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 09:42:26 pm »
Okay, on Monday I'm going to take down the rankings. The overalls I'm thinking will be 1 weight for time, 1/4 for rings, 3/4 for everything else; I'm still open to alternatives though, except for multiple champions for a game, which I completely disagree with. Also adding SA3 unidivision will finally happen. Those seem to be the only changes to the structure of things. Any members / times needing removing?

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 12:20:59 am »
Will the Team Blast Glitch be split in the Sonic Heroes section? I suggest that time should be one weight, score should be .9-1 weight, rings should be .25 weight, and everything else be .75 weight.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline SadisticMystic

Shuffling up the records
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 01:08:49 am »
Keep the new games' score at ¾.  2D game (including Advance?) score should be dropped to ½ since it's a lot less relevant there; usually it'll either be a mirror of the time chart or a mirror of the ring chart.

Freestyles qualify as "everything else", so I think that falls into the ¾ category.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Shuffling up the records
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 08:21:34 am »
Eh, in most cases freestyle mirrors the time chart, so it's next to useless.

S3TA deserves full weighting.

Also I thought we were scrapping rings entirely?

<3 Thorn.

Print

Hits: 231 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.09 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.